#61 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 01 January 2020 - 08:43 AM

I have a '98 MPi and live on the edge of the '21 proposed extension to the Zone, so I'm extremely interested in how this shapes up.

If getting the MPi/SPis confirmed as Euro 4 compliant and therefore exempted is going to cost to set up, I'd happily chip in to an application that gets it done. Hopefully, I wouldn't be the only one prepared to do so.

I'd kinda hope that the London Mini Clubs might be persuaded to co-ordinate an effort to do this.

For those who "live in the sticks", this stuff is coming your way, so better get prepared. If we can establish a Mini exemption with Tfl, it's going to make getting an exemption with the ones set up near you that much easier.

#62 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:49 PM

Update: Just received my FOI request from TfL...the only useful part of their replay was:

"When we update a vehicle record to make it compliant with the T-Charge or ULEZ we only record the vehicle registration and not the make and model of the vehicle. We therefore do not hold this information."

So they have no idea if any later model of Mini has been granted compliancy to ULEZ.

So unless someone wants to pay £130 for an ICOE from https://www.dvlaadvi...f_emissions.htm to submit to TfL we have come to a brick wall again.

Was hoping for better news than that. Darn it.

#63 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 02:42 PM

I will pursue this with LSMOC. I think it's best if we coordinate an approach to TfL so that we can get a "class exemption" from the ICOE Certificate, initially.

£130 is less than 11 days worth of charges, but it seems crazy to make each MPi go through the check.

Does anyone have an ex-Japanese one? Did it have any Emissions Certification?

#64 Quincy Sparks

Quincy Sparks

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Local Club: BHMC, MCR

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:59 AM

Interesting thread. Has anyone been in touch with https://smallcarbigcity.com ? They're running a fleet of mostly '90s minis in London, with one '74 in the fleet - which you could assume won't be exempt on historic grounds as it's used commercially.

Maybe they're just building the ULEZ cost into their hire charge, which they probably already do with the Congestion Charge, but they might have some useful info or be a source of support for some of the ideas in the thread.

#65 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:41 AM

I could be wrong, but I think they would be exempt from both congestion charge and ULEZ because their fleet are technically Taxis.

Interesting thread. Has anyone been in touch with https://smallcarbigcity.com ? They're running a fleet of mostly '90s minis in London, with one '74 in the fleet - which you could assume won't be exempt on historic grounds as it's used commercially.

Maybe they're just building the ULEZ cost into their hire charge, which they probably already do with the Congestion Charge, but they might have some useful info or be a source of support for some of the ideas in the thread.

#66 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:48 PM

Good idea! I'll give them a call, tomorrow.

#67 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:20 AM

Good idea! I'll give them a call, tomorrow.

?? Let us know how you get on!

#68 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:47 AM

I had a very interesting conversation with them, this morning.

Unfortunately, for the present, they are being charged on all the Minis in their fleet.

They gave me some good contacts and are very interested in finding a way to exempt all Minis to which this charge should not apply.

#69 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:11 PM

Looks like paying for an ICOE would be the way forward (see links in previous posts), but then it would have to be a payment for a members SPI and a payment for anothers MPI. Going on that basis if either or both received exemption when the ICOE was sent to TfL in an application for exemption that could be an argument to put to TfL to exempt all Minis of either type.

My mini is a carb'ed 1990, otherwise I'd have already paid for an ICOE.

On the ICOE front I had previously contacted the company and they just need details to be provided on a car in question to obtain/create an ICOE. The car does not need to go to a testing centre.

#70 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:54 AM

Position update:

TfL's position:

"Compliance with the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) is based on the vehicle’s emissions performance at type-approval (i.e. when it is new). For a petrol vehicle, the requirement is that it has NOx emissions not exceeding 0.08g/km when measured over the type 1 emissions test at the time of type approval. That is equivalent to Euro 4 for a petrol car, but a number of Euro 3 petrol cars also meet that standard, although the emissions are not always recorded on the V5C (which we accept as proof). An alternative would be a type-approval certificate of conformity or a letter from the homologation department of the vehicle manufacturer to confirm the emissions performance.

If the vehicle is altered, it can no longer be assumed to have emissions as recorded at type-approval. The only way to prove compliance would be to have the vehicle tested on a chassis dynamometer over the type-approval type 1 test. This is nothing like MOT testing and not something that VOSA can verify. The vehicle would need to be tested at an emissions laboratory accredited for type-approval testing (such as MIRA or Millbrook for example)", (cost approximately £3,000 per vehicle).

"If you decided to follow this route, I would advise that you agree the details of the required testing with TfL in advance before entering any expenditure."

I'm still trying to find if there's any other way round this and I'll let you know what I find.

#71 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:57 AM

[email protected]

Your best shot is Lindsay who is the registrar for what's left of MG Rover. As official signatory, she can provide a recognized document that TFL will have to respect. She will struggle to find emissions data though...

#72 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:59 PM

This, from the FBHVC, is not entirely hopeful for later cars but holds something for the thirty year old cars and, possibly, those with engine transplants:

"We continue to see initiatives to propose charging or banning zones in city centres. Birmingham have recently announced that even though they have yet to establish their city centre CAZ, they intend to introduce a total ban on cars within the city centre at some stage. It may be this represents the start of a further round of restrictions. In Scotland, where there is a proposal to establish several bans, including one covering the whole of Edinburgh and its suburbs, efforts have been aimed at getting a general exemption for Historic Vehicles so that it applies regardless in any zone established. Scotland has recently proposed National Regulations which will frame the scope of any Low Emission Zones within Scotland. The proposal currently proposes a blanket exemption for all vehicles over 30 years old, in line with the international FIVA definition of “historic vehicle”. I will be drafting a response shortly which supports this threshold and must congratulate all those who worked to achieve this, as well as those who clearly listened. Subject to this being introduced, this means that for Scottish cities, all vehicles within our remit will exempted and we should be able to be confident that Scottish LEZ’s will not affect our members, at least when driving their historic vehicles. In England, the various zones remain stalled. The two most advanced – Birmingham and Leeds – have both been deferred over software development and changes in the proposed funding of the charging system. I understand that Birmingham are still working on the basis that their system will be operational by July 2020 although from my earlier comments you will appreciate, I remain to be convinced. Other councils have made proposals but these will also have the shared software development issues and have not progressed further. York is one of the latest and intends to ban all vehicles from within the old City walls. Given that much of the area inside the walls is pedestrianised and such streets as remain open to vehicles are narrow and congested, this seems unlikely to have any major impact. London plans to expand its existing ULEZ beyond the central “congestion zone” area to the North and South Circular routes, and whereas Central London has a relatively small resident population, this outer area encompasses some 3 million residents. This is planned for October 2021. At this stage, we will continue to respond to proposals as they emerge. I have received queries from several members in respect of ‘near-classic’ vehicles and vehicles caught in the 30-40 years old gap (English CAZ/LEZ zones are based on historic vehicle tax exemption at 40 years, rather than the Scottish proposed 30 year threshold) Enquirers have asked if it is possible to ‘retro-fit’ a car to improve its emissions and thereby escape charges or bans. For some motorcycles it is possible to do this as emission tests on motorcycles were introduced differently. The simple answer is that there are provisions for ‘retro-fitting’ to be recognised, although the process to do it is complex and untested, and any conversion along with emission testing seems likely to exceed the value of most vehicles considered. Technically, I have spoken to one owner who claims it is theoretically achievable on his car, but only by upgrading the engine to an available later compliant specification. There certainly isn’t a simple ‘bolt on’ kit! This is an area for others to explore. Our remit in representing Historic Vehicles and their owners means we have focused on pressing for full exemptions, and vehicle emission compliance is a highly technical field we are not resourced to advise on."

Edited by Quinlan minor, 21 February 2020 - 08:12 PM.

#73 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:20 PM

Got an MOT on mine today and had a chat with the tester regarding NOX figures. He reckons that the MOT emissions testing analyser, in 'special programs', is capable of measuring an NOX only figure. He was very doubtful that an MPi would be low enough to meet the requirement and also felt, given the current political situation, there was no guarantee that the widening of the ULEZ is likely to happen. I wish I shared his optimism on that.

#74 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:35 AM

Tangentially related - please consider signing this petition to make your opposition to the broadened draconian tax called the Congestion charge known.

https://www.change.o...ree?signed=true

#75 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:44 PM

https://www.stopkhanslondontax.com

Pls consider

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users