Photo
- - - - -

Engine Stabilizer Bracket.

Best Answer nicklouse , 23 April 2019 - 10:21 AM

if you have a good upper one (or two) then you don't need more that the two lower ones as they actually do very little to stop any rocking as they are at the same height as the engine mounts.

BUT what they do do it stop/reduce shear loads on the rubber engine mounts by keeping the transmission case in the right place.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:22 AM

Has anyone made or bought the bracket that later subframes have on the front subframe for gearbox to front of subframe lower stabilizer?

I know most if not all rubber mounted subframes have a welded in bracket but I'm looking to add one to a 2 bolt subframe on a Mk1.

I also have a broken bracket on my wife's '83 which I need to replace, so a new one is needed for that car as well. A drawing would be useful as I don't have a pattern if these are not made.

http://www.minispare...ic/FAM2758.aspx

This picture is from a similar query.

Taken sideways, it's the bracket that the bolt goes through that is welded to subframe crossmember.

Attached Files

Edited by whistler, 23 April 2019 - 09:54 AM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:58 AM

don't bother. just fit the two rear facing ones. the forward facing ones have a tendency to fail. and brake the subframe cross member.

#3 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:17 AM

don't bother. just fit the two rear facing ones. the forward facing ones have a tendency to fail. and brake the subframe cross member.

I have already fitted the 2 rear ones but I take your point about breaking the crossmember. Thought it might share the pressure better as it would be opposite to the top steady and reduce the twist motion if that makes sense. Thanks.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:21 AM   Best Answer

if you have a good upper one (or two) then you don't need more that the two lower ones as they actually do very little to stop any rocking as they are at the same height as the engine mounts.

BUT what they do do it stop/reduce shear loads on the rubber engine mounts by keeping the transmission case in the right place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users