#1 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

Hi knowledgeable folks.

I've read through everything I can find on the topic of ACRs, readings, what to do and not to do on this forum and on the internet but I'm a bit stumped.

After 3 1/2 year rebuild I finally finished my 97 Cooper (registered 1/1/97) which is a Japanese model. 

As per an old post of mine, my 'screw that should not get moved', got moved and for right/wrong (and because my Mini is 160miles from where I live :)), I've been waiting until everything else was done before I plugged in my recent ACR2 purchase and see if I can sort out the idle and do whatever I need to do to the stepper motor, ahead of it's first MOT in ages.

Prior to plugging in the ACR, the engine seemed to run ok but it sounded like it might maybe idling a little high. I just had assumed the screw movement had messed things up and I'd need to sort it.

I am using V3 Rover POD, as that seemed to be the one that everyone says to use for the most functionality. I was expecting to have a way of adjusting the idle / stepper motor but it appears that all have a is Stepper Adjust function. When I tried that it just sits there on the "Checking Engine Status and Readings...". It never does anything else, longest I've left it like that is 25mins, then I gave up.

Does this auto function actually work? Maybe it's not compatible with my Japanese flavoured ECU (MNE 101170)? Is there any other way with the v3 Pod of doing the idle/stepper adjustment, I was expecting a step reading of some sorts?

The ACR gives no errors and when I run through all the Actuator test, they're all fine too.

It does settle down to idle at 930RPM when fully warmed up, which is higher than the 850 it's supposed to be.

M.A.P. Sensor is 34kPA

Throttle Pot Volts 0.46V

Oxygen Sensor moves around from 150 to 800 volts mostly, occasionally higher (910).

Hoping someone can guide me. Thx in advance!

Attached Files

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:00 PM

Just to make sure we're singing off the same hymn sheet, is it the SPi inlet with the MPi gubbins every where else?

#3 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:10 PM

Just to make sure we're singing off the same hymn sheet, is it the SPi inlet with the MPi gubbins every where else?

As far as I know yes. I always thought mine was just an MPI head and all the rest was SPI (inlet, rad, dizzy etc). It's a Cooper 35 LE for Japan.

For what you can see in amongst the rats-nest that is the engine bay, picture attached :)

Attached Files

#4 hennasxi

hennasxi

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:42 PM

Hi there, that picture reveals a pure JDM SPi, not the later MPi block based version but that should not affect the ability for the ACR to work with it via the three pin round connector.   

#5 Dutchdave's25

Dutchdave's25

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:46 AM

my 'screw that should not get moved', got moved.

if you have adjusted this outwards, then it will sit against the sliding pin thats part of the stepper motor assembly.

the result could be that your throttle valve does not fully close, this can easily be checked per eye ball.

#6 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:34 PM

my 'screw that should not get moved', got moved.

if you have adjusted this outwards, then it will sit against the sliding pin thats part of the stepper motor assembly.

the result could be that your throttle valve does not fully close, this can easily be checked per eye ball.

Thanks Dave - the problem is I don't know which way it was moved, my father-in-law told me he had and then we tried to move it back to what we thought was its original position by looking at the dirt on the thread...

As it currently is it does look like the throttle valve is fully closed when there's no pedal input.

#7 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:46 PM

When engine is fully warmed up, screw it outwards until your rpm is at 850.Then lock it.

Should be only a half or one turn.

#8 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:52 PM

When engine is fully warmed up, screw it outwards until your rpm is at 850.Then lock it.

Should be only a half or one turn.

Thanks, I did wonder whether it might be something like that but from other posts it seemed that moving the screw needed to be done in tandem with something on the stepper motor.

#9 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:28 PM

As far as I know yes. I always thought mine was just an MPI head and all the rest was SPI (inlet, rad, dizzy etc). It's a Cooper 35 LE for Japan.

For what you can see in amongst the rats-nest that is the engine bay, picture attached :)

It is just like my 94 Cooper, with the same snake pit.
engine.jpg

#10 Dutchdave's25

Dutchdave's25

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:45 AM

just another thought, have you adjusted the throttle cable so that it sits like this?

http://www.theminifo...-1458582995.jpg

#11 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:41 AM

It is just like my 94 Cooper, with the same snake pit.

ha! Only major difference is the fuse box type I don't have any in-line fuses and have the bigger 20+ box on the back of the bulkhead..

#12 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:46 AM

just another thought, have you adjusted the throttle cable so that it sits like this?

http://www.theminifo...-1458582995.jpg

Thanks Dave, yes I have done that. 

As I say aside from the warmed-up idle being in the 900's it all seems to run fine. It's purely because I know that screw has been screwed that I suspect things aren't what they should be, they maybe fine.

But I also wanted to know if anyone else has found with an ACR2 + V3 POD that the Stepper tune function actually works / does anything or is worth doing :)

Attached Files

#13 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:42 PM

Well, I didn't do anything more with the ACR/Stepper etc as I'm still no closer to knowing why the tuning thing doesn't work...would love to know for the future if anyone has just that feature on V3 Pod.

But the Mini went into the MOT anyway and it passed emissions (but failed other stuff...hey ho).

I've no idea if these readings are ok / expected / good, just happy that the SPI emissions gremlin didn't bite me :) 

Attached Files

#14 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:52 PM

I think the Stepper function on the ACR is for the MPi, with its separate IACV.

#15 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:52 AM

Stepper function works on acr2 pod3 with mpi and spi, engine needs warmed up before the reader will let you continue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users