#1 Jimmy95

Jimmy95

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:48 PM

Hi Everyone,

Fairly new to this and not greatly mechanically minded but have already learnt a lot through the forum and youtube.

So Ive Recently purchased a 1275 (what i thought) that actually is a 1310.

Going to fully strip this down and rebuild and just wondering what route to go i.e. engine spec.

I know theres a thousand and 1 things that can be done but i suppose I'm looking for a fairly quick on the road mini (brief i know haha) .. So just to get peoples thoughts on the below, and any more suggestions you might have.

Turbos and if its worth going that route

Boring to 1380? or less..

Cams, as theres so many

What Pistons?

Head works?

Gearbox works?

As i said theres previously... Theirs so much that can be done but would be nice to get peoples thoughts and what route you all have decided to go.

Im based Near Tunbridge wells, Someone might know of a local Engine tuners etc

Thanks in Advance  :D

#2 Chris M

Chris M

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:55 PM

Hi I’ve. Just fitted a swiftune camshaft & duplex chain kit from them. Great quality & customer service from them.
I also fitted a big valve & ported head along with a a maniflow exhaust * K&N filter.
Just awaiting to refit the engine then I’ll know the results

#3 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:23 PM

All depends what you want out of the car, I went for something that is not easy to drive around town, likes to be rev’d to over 8k and is hot and too loud. But then I only do about 1000miles a year in it, and mostly drive to and from a track for some fun.

#4 Jimmy95

Jimmy95

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:07 PM

Cheers Chris... Swiftune look like they have a lot of trick parts. Will look in to that, let me know how it is when you get it bolted back in :)

Gr4h4m Its hard to know really as haven't driven many, at the moment ive just got a 998, so anything will be more exciting, What did you do to your engine?

#5 Chris M

Chris M

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:33 PM

Will do Jimmy should be soon

#6 robj2502

robj2502

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:17 AM

Turbo's are great but come with a few complications in mini - namely space but then cooling, space, clutch life expetency (unless you want a grabby race spec item), space and lastly gearbox/diff reliability. Obviously all these things can be overcome if you want to throw enough money at it but it is not simple or cheap. There also isnt really a one stop kit to fit to a mini so alot of stuff needs to be made or fabricated (unless you find an MG metro turbo lump complete but even then stuff still needs to be made to fit)

I went 1380 as it is well proven and reliable and there are plenty of options piston/parts wise. What I will say is I ended up spending far more than I initially thought. Some of this was down to spec upgrades (didnt see the point in spending 60% of the cost of new stuff to remanufacture old) and some of this was down to faults that I didnt know about and subsequently found with the block and gearbox.

As per the other posts above the actual spec of your engine will very much depend on your budget. Im sure there are a million and one variations on the best "road spec" engine but I would say get a decent road spec head from a reputable seller (some links below) a decent Cam (Swiftune SW5 seems to be the road spec cam of the moment) refurbish your gearbox and fit a cross pin diff for reliability (also worth looking into final drives as this can make or break a road car)

Also not knowing the condition of the rest of the car its worth remembering cooling as most minis were already on the limit so all new parts for the cooling system and upgraded rad are a must with any engine upgrade. Also brakes and suspension as if these parts arent in good condition theres no point in adding more power. 

Keith Calver is a bit of mini legend and writes technical artricles for the mini mags and races his own car. Its worthwhile having a look through and reading the technical articles on his website he also sells pistons (believe of his own spec) heads and some other parts but definitely worth checking out:

https://www.calverst.com/

MED are for all things A series. Everything I have purchased from them has been top quality they also have a load of technical vids on youtube that are worth a watch:

https://www.med-engineering.co.uk/

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:57 AM

so a road car.

only bore to the minimum next size if it does not need one don't.

heads yes but no need to go mad on the valve sizes.

porting yes. modded inlet with an HIf44 yes LCB yes. massive exhaust NO just the correct size.

Cam. something that gives loads of Torque.

and may be a 4 pin dif.

sorted.

Oh run on 10s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users