Photo
- - - - -

Am I Crazy For Driving A Mini From Amsterdam To Rome?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,929 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:41 AM

Looks like I might get a GREAT deal on a 96 cooper in the Netherlands... but transporting it to Rome is fishy and eats into my discount. 

Am I crazy for really considering driving it down? It is just a 16 hour drive, breaking it up into a couple of days is VERY doable. I used to drive that same thing in the US from Miami to DC every few months. 

Thoughts? What would you do?

https://www.urlaubs-...n&cn-reloaded=1

#17 wzd345

wzd345

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Local Club: Miniresource

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:46 AM

Best breakdown cover you can get is with ADAC, top German outfit and they cover all of Europe, buy their best package and it's easy to do online.  Take oil and water with a good selection of tools, tape, decent jack, warning triangle, hiviz jacket and a Heynes manual (earlier version) for leisure reading!!.  Don't rush the trip and you will make life easy by setting off early, I mean at or before first light. 

Good luck and enjoy.

#18 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:55 AM

It actually failed MOT this year because of an exhaust leak, and the guy just wants to get rid of it instead of pouring more money into it. 

all would be well until this bit .. it rings warning bells. Fine, if it's *just* the exhaust leak, but why has he been 'pouring money' into it? overheating problem that he couldn't solve say? etc etc. I wouldn't.

#19 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:21 AM

I havnt read much of the above comments, but like nick has posted, get on the train if possible. saves you loads of time/hassle and possible breakdowns.

I must however say, that if the mini fits, do it!
I did a similar trip last august from Milan to Graz, Austria which was a  good 800+km trip and it was a blast. We stopped every 2-3hrs to make sure everything cooled down, and divided the trip into 2 days of site seeing and travel. Unfortunately I had an overheating issue right at the end of the trip because the radiator was leaking/losing water through the cap which i wasnt aware of....so be careful to check everything everyime you stop for gas/rest. 

Otherwise, good luck! its good to get to know your car like that to be honest. Mine survived a 400km drive...it will survive every thing else i throw at it :P

#20 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:54 AM

...and the guy just wants to get rid of it instead of pouring more money into it. 

...but why has he been 'pouring money' into it?

Fair question to ask but also don't we all pour too much money into our Minis? 

It's the reason I stopped having Minis twenty years ago but I found I was pouring money into depreciating cars I didn't like instead so back to a Mini again.

#21 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:01 AM

I aways think it a bit suspicious when people advertise cars saying 'only needs ' (insert something trivial here) to get MOT'd .. why not just pour a last little amount in and get the MOT done? 

'currently not MOT'd but would pass easily'. Well, get it one then, it will be so much easier to sell  :proud:

Edited by johnv, 25 April 2019 - 10:24 AM.

#22 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:58 PM

Saw the car, much worse condition than he led to believe. Sad. It would be such a great car, but he didn't take care of it at all. It had a puncture hole on the bottom of the car about 10 inches wide. Looked like someone put a jackatand through the floor.

Sad to see a mini cooper being mistreated.

#23 evilpen14

evilpen14

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Local Club: CCC and RAF Mini Club

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:12 PM

Shame about that.

#24 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:22 PM

Saw the car, much worse condition than he led to believe. Sad. It would be such a great car, but he didn't take care of it at all. It had a puncture hole on the bottom of the car about 10 inches wide. Looked like someone put a jackatand through the floor.

Sad to see a mini cooper being mistreated.

many have different expectationsd of what a "good" condition mini is. I think too many people just think, "ah its old it must be rusty so if its only 30% rust its actually good!" I think 0 rust is good. You might accept different... 

Sorry to hear about it though. Always gutted when you go for a look and end up disappointed :/

#25 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:50 PM

Just take some oil, coolant, make sure the grease points are topped up before you set off
The petrol gauge senders aren’t always accurate so a Jerry can might be an idea
Can of wd40
Take it steady and keep an eye on oil pressure and temperature... pull over and check the oil every couple of hours (it might leak it more than burn it)
Have fun!

#26 superchiwawa

superchiwawa

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Local Club: Minis Stuck in Garages

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:30 AM

Echoing Nicklouses' train comment, if it helps, there is a night sleeper train service (öbb nightjet) from Dusseldorf to Innsbruck where if you book sufficiently in advance you can load your car onto the train. Cost is about the same as petrol for the journey, with the added benefit of a bed and breakfast... It's quite popular with Dutch people who want to go for a short skiing break for example.

Frome there on you can enjoy some moutain driving through Tirol and South Tirol to Rome.. Or head south through Slovenia to the coast and then west.. Either way alpine driving in the mini is sure on my bucket list! Sounds like a fun adventure! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users