#1 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:10 PM

Hello all!
Mini is booked in for an MOT Monday, hasn’t been driven since October (have started the engine and rolled out the garage a handful of times)
So it’s oil change time... last year I used minispares own oil
I’ve only done about 1200 miles and probably won’t do more than 1000 this year either and I don’t drive the car very hard...
The debate on Halfords tin of oil has been had a million times but I can’t find a topic on euro car parts triple qx stuff..

https://www.eurocarp...76241&0&cc5_251

Seems cheap enough, but I can’t find any details on the all important zddp amount...

Anyone here used this oil/knows if it’s on par with Halfords tin/minispares own brand stuff

#2 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:26 PM

Never heard of it, but it costs more than a 5L jug of Castrol Classic XL, or the ever popular on here Valvoline VR1 or Duckhams Classic-Q, So why bother messing with unknown stuff?

#3 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:15 AM

Never heard of it, but it costs more than a 5L jug of Castrol Classic XL, or the ever popular on here Valvoline VR1 or Duckhams Classic-Q, So why bother messing with unknown stuff?

Ignore the website price, ecp constantly have a sale
5l of that QX stuff currently works out at £20.58

#4 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:48 AM

You could maybe pop in and ask them at the counter, or ring up?

QX is their own brand stuff, it's totally fine in 99% of normal everyday cars but if you need something very specific you best check first.

#5 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:00 PM

I use the QX stuff in my 2002 MINI which is a "run it safely for as cheap as possible" type project. I honestly have no idea whether there are any detrimental effects but I am changing the oil more regularly than the official service intervals. Have also used it in lots of friend's more modern cars. Using the 50% off on ECP it comes in at about £15 for 5L.  If I'm honest though, with minispares stuff coming in at £15.27 (with TMF discount) and Opie offering a few around £21 (inc TMF+) I'm not sure I'd be using the QX in my Mini, would prefer to stick with something I know & people recommend.

Edited by humph, 26 April 2019 - 12:01 PM.

#6 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

I think oil is one of those items that you need to buy on quality and not price. I can't even see if it states on the advert whether it's mineral or synthetic based. It's probably fine for more modern engines but I wouldn't use it for our unique engine gearbox setup.

#7 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:09 PM

I think oil is one of those items that you need to buy on quality and not price. I can't even see if it states on the advert whether it's mineral or synthetic based. It's probably fine for more modern engines but I wouldn't use it for our unique engine gearbox setup.

It says mineral on the front of the bottle but I can’t find any data sheets on it...
You all make fair points though and I’ve used the minispares stuff last year and so far the engine hasn’t blown up or seized so I’m gonna call that a success!
The coma/Halfords stuff does come in a lovely tin though ?

#8 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:15 PM

What about this stuff

https://www.classic-...-Heritage-20W50

On the ECP front they have a sister site www.carparts4less.co.uk where discounts are less, but the base prices are also lower, usually works out cheaper. The big difference is carpart4less is mail order only.

#9 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:33 PM

If you want advice about oil I found speaking to Opie Oils very helpful. One chap, I don't remember his name, gave me a lot of information about suitable lubricants for my 1275 auto. He suggested using an oil that was suitable for motorcycles with wet clutches years ago before the members on the automatic mini forum began suggesting it.

Edited by MikeRotherham, 26 April 2019 - 03:30 PM.

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:33 PM

You need a 20w50 mineral oil with as high a ZDDP level as possible.

There are several well-accepted oils which have the right levels for classic Minis and these include Valvoline VR-1 (arguably the best), Millers, Penrite, Castrol Classic and Mini Spares own branded oil.

As above, don't buy on price, buy on quality.

#11 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:49 PM

Popped into Euro car parts after work to try and shed some light. The man behind the counter just looked clueless and said all he knows is whatever the bottle says... useful

Attached File  2FBEFADA-64F6-4790-80FA-B99ABA694CB3.jpeg   73.36K   1 downloads

#12 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:57 PM

No indication of the ZDDP level on there that I could see (looking sideways!). Personally I would not use it without knowing whether it is compatible with the Mini gearbox which needs a good zinc content.

#13 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:29 PM

Popped into Euro car parts after work to try and shed some light. The man behind the counter just looked clueless and said all he knows is whatever the bottle says... useful

Eurocar parts business isn't really focused on the classic car market.

#14 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:59 PM

didnt bother buying any, will stick with minispares own stuff.. I know VR1 is what everyone on here loves but im lucky to do 1000 miles a year plodding to the odd local show and my engine is completely standard so very much not a tuned performance machine!

thanks all

#15 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:11 PM

Use the comma classic oil if you only do low miles, I use the Comma Classic in my minis, have done since I owned them (10 years) I've never had an issue, even after 5k miles of daily running

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users