Photo
- - - - -

Whats The Trick To Reinserting The 2Nd Gear Thrust Washer

Best Answer BaronVonchesto , 28 April 2019 - 05:28 AM

sometimes, one just needs to know when its time to take a break i guess...

I struggled with it for so long last night till i gave up and went to bed. woke up this morning after a good night's sleep, tried again and i got it in within 2 minutes, with little effort!  O_O

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 03:32 PM

IMG_20190426_015133.jpg

rebuilding my gearbox. the above image is from before i removed the 2nd gear.

ive fitted a new neddle roller, cleaned everything up and am trying to put the washer back in. im using 2 tiny flathead screwdrivers to push the pins in from both ends, but no matter how hard i press the washer just refuses to go down. whats the trick to getting it back in?

ive even tried pushing one pin all the way in so it sticks out the other end,and pressing the washer down to try and get it to slip in a bit before pressing the other end in the hopes of wiggling one end in before the other, but this wont work either.

doesnt help that the gear keeps rotating about.

i genuinely believe british leyland purposely designed everything to be as difficult as possible...

Edited by BaronVonchesto, 27 April 2019 - 03:32 PM.

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:13 PM

An extra pair of hands helps, one to push the pins in and the other to push the washer down. Ideally you want tools that are half the diameter of the holes in the gear so when you push the pins in you're not pushing the washer down onto the tools. 

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,900 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 27 April 2019 - 07:38 PM

It's a little hard to tell for sure from your photo, but I'm not sure the Gear is sitting all the way down and / or the Locking Ring.

There's 6 'slots' on the backside of the Locking Ring as well. You need to align 2 of these over the Locking Pins before depressing them. I use a small 'O' Ring Pick to depress the Pins, just something very small in diameter should work, I tend to get 1 side down a little to start with then the other side, while keeping some pressure on the first side so it doesn't pop back up. Once the second side is started, it will then side down. Then working from the top, and one side at a time again, depress the Pins and put some pressure turning the locking ring.

It will go when turning one way doing it this way, but not the other, due to the off-set of the Pins in the Shaft.

You also need;-

3 hands, and

Hold your tongue the right way

#4 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:28 AM   Best Answer

sometimes, one just needs to know when its time to take a break i guess...

I struggled with it for so long last night till i gave up and went to bed. woke up this morning after a good night's sleep, tried again and i got it in within 2 minutes, with little effort!  O_O

#5 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:58 AM

Also helps to ensure all the parts are clean and oil free before assembling, makes it easier to handle the pins and springs. Once assembled then dribble oil into the bearing apertures.

Trust you also have the shaft mounted in a vice with soft jaws.

#6 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 06:33 AM

i applied a generous helping of assembly lube on to everything before assembly so no it was not oil free. don't feel comfortable fitting things dry.

i was using a vice, had a towel to act as the soft grip, but the vice was a bit too small. its a table vice, not a bench vice. anyway, managed to do it in the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users