12 replies to this topic

#1 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:30 AM

I am looking to fit a permanently wired USB plug to my mini. Even tough I have a MK1, I have one of the those 3 slot plastic switch panels which I'm hoping this will fit into, with a bit of modification. I am a bit wary of using cheap products when it comes to electrics, so I just wondered if anyone had fitted similar and/or if there is a better version?

https://www.ebay.co....r/333140483694?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:50 PM

I would not bother with one of those.

I would just fit something more like this.

https://www.ebay.de/i/264250533251

there are many others like this as well.

that would fit to the underside of the dash and you have the options of running other things.

12V air pump or a cool box and you can mount it back so it is not really seen.

#3 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:02 PM

If you want to use it to run Sat Nav on your phone, bear in mind that unless you have a 2 Amp charger a lot of modern phones will rundown faster than they can be charged up.  They also seem to be all LED illuminated, with the LEDs being on all the time and far too bright. I fitted two generic 2A chargers, one is down by the side of my seat as part of my switch box, the other is behind the dash, with a mobile phone charger cable fitted to it. 

Can't think I'd ever need to be able to access the socket regularly, maybe next time they change the charger standards or the USB C cables seems to stop supporting quick charge after a while.  So no issues with access and no annoying LED lights.  Fitting it to the lower dash rail pointing downwards might be a good option too, you'd be able to get to the socket there very easily, but it would be out of sight too.

#4 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:53 PM

Good shout Nick, thank you!

I've ordered one of these, bit smaller...

https://www.ebay.co....SB/163619433735

I would not bother with one of those.

I would just fit something more like this.

https://www.ebay.de/i/264250533251

there are many others like this as well.

that would fit to the underside of the dash and you have the options of running other things.

12V air pump or a cool box and you can mount it back so it is not really seen.

Edited by beardylondon, 29 April 2019 - 03:01 PM.

#5 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:21 PM

While you're at it why not fit one under the rear seat - I found it really useful for a beer cooler on long trips. 

#6 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:05 AM

So I finally fitted one of those 12V sockets from eBay and took Paulrockliffe's advice and fitted it further back under the dash out of the way.

I have found that when I plug in a USB cable to charge my phone, it creates a buzz on the stereo. This is when listening to music via AUX, not radio. I have tried difference leads, no difference.

Someone told me about these ferrite bead things, would fitting one of these stop the buzzing?

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Ferrite_bead

Edited by beardylondon, 17 June 2019 - 09:06 AM.

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:47 AM

What's the AUX, is it what you have plugged in to the USB charger? Does it still do it if it's not being charged?

You could try moving the 12v wiring. Put the earth on your radios earth. twist the + & - wires together, like twisted pair ethernet cable.

Odds on it's the cheapo DC DC converter - yes ferrites are worth a go, try 'em on the 12v side first.

#8 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:58 AM

My other bit of advice is to plug in a Wireless charging phone mount.  Revolutionary!

#9 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:20 AM

I have found that when I plug in a USB cable to charge my phone, it creates a buzz on the stereo.

This is usually electrical noise, likely on 'ground' (-ve). Best answer is to find a charger with better filters in it's DC-DC converter. You can't really tell without ripping it apart so you can only really use price as a gauge (and even that's not a guarantee).

(Sorry - just noticed I've repeated what Ethel posted!)

#10 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

I've got a 3.5mm minijack feed coming out of the back of the stereo, that's the AUX, going into a dual splitter lead 3.5mm and lightning connector, then into an iPhone. So the USB is just power, not data, between the phone and the USB socket.

When you pull the USB out of the charger, the noise goes away.

The 12V socket is cheapo, but it was the smallest one I could find that was 12V cigarette and twin USB sockets, I shouldn't have expected much for £3.99!

What's the AUX, is it what you have plugged in to the USB charger? Does it still do it if it's not being charged?

You could try moving the 12v wiring. Put the earth on your radios earth. twist the + & - wires together, like twisted pair ethernet cable.

Odds on it's the cheapo DC DC converter - yes ferrites are worth a go, try 'em on the 12v side first.

#11 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:42 PM

So the problem is only with the AUX, not on live radio. I tried some ferrite beads on the AUX and 12V feed, but it makes no difference.

I'm thinking of getting one of these as it has good reviews (but from eBay as £5 cheaper), as it will take out the hard connection from Aux to the phone, see if that helps.

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B07MFVH5CB/

#12 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:44 PM

You can get a bluetooth to radio frequency converter very cheaply. You'll need a cigarette lighter socket though

#13 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:46 PM

Radio ones are 5h1te, and that’s USB, so can just plug into my spare USB.

Edited by beardylondon, 20 June 2019 - 03:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users