#1 CooperKid

CooperKid

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:41 PM

Hi All,

So its been a VERY long time since I have been an active member on here. I generally feel best to leave it to Pete (aka CooperMan) to do the responding and posting :P

However, I am going to try and be much more present on the forum from now on and get involved with whats going on.

I have recently just (re)purchased my very first restoration that I sold around 10 years ago. I started the project when was 10/11 years old and it was a 1986 Mini Mayfair that had been hand painted black. With Pete's supervision, it was a complete restoration and was a fantastic little car.

It was sold to a guy in Scotland and for a number of years I had been trying to see where the car was now. It had not been showing as on the road for a number of years, and was sad to think that it may no longer be with us.

Around July/August of last year I found the buyers details mixed in old paperwork and got in touch...He still had it!

Sadly it had been sat since late 2011 and had just deteriorated from there, though fortunately not too badly (comparing it to other projects we've taken on).

As at that time I was in the process of moving to Vancouver it kind of got put to one side on my priorities, but am very happy to say it will soon be back in CooperMan's workshop to have various bits of bodywork done and a good tidy-up to then be shipped out to Vancouver.

Cannot wait to see my very first car again. There was no way I could have let this chance pass me by and to be able to have it out here in my new home country.

I've attached some pictures of when I first got it, to when it was finished and to now in its current state.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else managed to get a cherished car of theirs back after so long?

Attached Files

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:05 PM

I am looking forward to going to Scotland with my trailer to collect it. It's not far, only 361 miles each way  ;D .

It looks like less work than the 1990 rally Cooper 1275 which I am currently and which I previously owned from 2003 until 2005. I am just starting the repainting - black/white roof - and will be putting on the second primer coat tomorrow.

That little red Mayfair has the 1060 cc engine which we built with lots of nice bits, but I can fit the pair of HS2's which I found in my parts boxes recently and I think that will give it a good 68 bhp at the flywheel with good torque as well.

The things I do for my Grandson!

#3 CooperKid

CooperKid

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:14 PM

I am looking forward to going to Scotland with my trailer to collect it. It's not far, only 361 miles each way  ;D .

It looks like less work than the 1990 rally Cooper 1275 which I am currently and which I previously owned from 2003 until 2005. I am just starting the repainting - black/white roof - and will be putting on the second primer coat tomorrow.

That little red Mayfair has the 1060 cc engine which we built with lots of nice bits, but I can fit the pair of HS2's which I found in my parts boxes recently and I think that will give it a good 68 bhp at the flywheel with good torque as well.

The things you do for me indeed!

Like to keep you busy!  :D

#4 Pete - W.Sussex

Pete - W.Sussex

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:44 AM

You’re a lucky fella CooperKid!

#5 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:32 AM

A pink cooper. Must be a unique shade! Joking aside looks like a good project and full of nostalgia.

Edited by dyshipfakta, 03 May 2019 - 08:34 AM.

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:38 AM

The intention is to put it onto 10" wheels with A008 tyres, fit MK.1 rear lights, do the Group 2 arch extensions black and fit new 5" wheels. Apparently it needs one new door skin and I think I'll fit a Heritage one as I just had an issue with a pattern skin. There may be the need for a new sill, but the photos aren't too clear. That is no problem anyway, just a nice bit of welding.

When we first restored it the engine was super and it has done very little mileage since. The idea is to make it as much like an early 998 Cooper as possible and it already has the 295 head and a 510 cam with 3-into-1 original Cooper ex. manifold. Exhaust is RC40 single box rear exit with a 3.2:1 FDR which will be ideal for Canadian roads. 

It'll need new bumpers and an Austin-Cooper grille together with the over-door chrome strips. Those spotlights are Lucas SLR700 with halogen bulbs, so they are really good.

The Austin Cooper bonnet badge is the original one from my first ever new car - a 1964 red/white 998 Cooper.

As you can see, it has turned into a pink Mini, but it'll soon be fresh new Tartan RED with OE White roof again.

Edited by Cooperman, 03 May 2019 - 11:39 AM.

#7 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:39 PM

Wow - bit of a difference to how great it looked after the first resto - Scottish roads and climate will do that to a car especially if it's not garaged. Sounds as though it's going to look identical to my car down to the same spotlights - I'll be watching with interest.

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:00 PM

We did consider doing a black roof, but as I am the first person to ever rally in a red Mini with a white roof (in 1961), I am kind-of attached to red/white Minis.

It had 65 bhp when first we restored it as the head is a gas-flowed 295 with 10:1 CR. However, I may well put slightly larger inlet valves in and with the twin HS2's it should gain a few more horses.

Now I am looking forward to getting it here nd stripping it down for repainting and 'making nice' again.

#9 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:36 PM

I will enjoy following this topic. I have my own 1986 rebuild and I am sure any hints and tips will be welcome. When are you collecting?

Edited by sc-em, 03 May 2019 - 08:38 PM.

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:56 PM

Probably during the second week in June, but I want to get the 1990 Cooper rally car which I am currently restoring completely painted before I go collect this one. 

It'll be a long drive with my L-R Discovery & trailer, but well worth it to get that special Mini back home.

#11 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:34 PM

I tried the DVLA route to find my first mini (OBM841P just in case anyone knows it) but they gave me the old.... 

"Sorry not a good enough reason to divulge the details" so I don't know if that means it still exists or not - frustrating eh? 

#12 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 04:02 AM

Tax due December 1993. No MOT history. Doesn't look good, I'm afraid.

#13 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 03:28 PM

I tracked down my first mini. Well it seemed I still owned it despite not having the shell anymore.

#14 CooperKid

CooperKid

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:22 PM

The old girl is finally home all snug in the workshop. Big thank you to Cooperman for collecting in from Cambridge to Sterling, Scotland and back in one day!

What are grandparents for eh...  :D

From the sounds of it, little work is needed (in the grand scheme of things) and has held out the troubles of Scottish weather rather well being sat outside for the past 8+ years.

Look forward to seeing it when I'm back in the UK for 3 weeks in August and following the rebuild process once the rally car is done!

Attached Files

Edited by CooperKid, 26 June 2019 - 09:25 PM.

#15 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:35 AM

There's a pattern forming. Have you considered charging a deposit, like they used to do on beer 'n pop bottles?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users