#16 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:14 AM

Bit sad the previous owner only got a few years out of it, bet they drove it all through the winter and rotted it out.

#17 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:30 PM

Actually it has hardly been used, just a few thousand miles in 8 years of ownership. I think it was used for going to some shows for the first two years, then just parked and left. The engine was a complete re-build when Cooperkid restored it, so that should be fine, although I shall put a pair of Hs2's on it to bring it up to a full 998 Cooper specification engine-wise. It already has a 295 head, original genuine 998 Cooper ex. manifold, per-Verto clutch and early rocker shaft. When I built it I put a duplex timing chain and timed it in with offset woodruff key. The cam is an early Cooper 'S' 510, which is still quite a nice road cam for a 998. It's at +0.080" (1060 cc) with flat top pistons.

Now I just have to finish the 1990 rally car and I can get on with this project.

#18 wingnut

wingnut

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:04 PM

I am looking forward to the progress on this.Any chance we can see some pics of the rally car rebuild please cooper man

#19 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:43 PM

It is looking rather sorry for itself isn't it.

Its back in good hands now though and I am looking forward to seeing it returned to good order :-)

Ben

#20 CooperKid

CooperKid

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:24 PM

I am looking forward to the progress on this.Any chance we can see some pics of the rally car rebuild please cooper man

Here are a few pictures of the (black) rally car. 2 pictures of it way back when (featuring a very chubby me in one picture) and the rest now since Cooperman purchased it back a few months ago. The mechanical work I'll have the pleasure to be assisting with when I am back in the UK for a bit in August. I believe all the black coats are now on the shell. i only have a picture after its first fresh coat.

Attached Files

#21 wingnut

wingnut

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for the pics!

#22 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 02:25 PM

Great to see you got it back. I sold then bought back my previous mini but then sold it again another few years after. I'm now currently restoring an early mk3 after the itch got me again. This one isn't going anywhere though.

#23 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 04:22 PM

I now have 3 Minis in my workshop. 

My Mk.1 1964 Cooper 'S' historic rally car which I restored/prepared 25 years ago, the 1990 Cooper 1275 rally car which I prepped and used in 2004 and now have bought back and Grandson's 998 (1060) 1985 Mayfair which he and I restored in 2009 - 10 and which he just bought back.

I have been spraying the doors on the black car today and they are now in grey primer and almost ready for top coat next week.

#24 CooperKid

CooperKid

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:41 PM

So it's been a while since the last post on here. Should have updated a bit after I got back from my trip back to the UK in August. I have actually been back again since...Time just seems to be flying by!

I couldn't resist getting stuck in when I was back in August 2019 and Feb this year. The engine is now out, and in stores. There wont be much work needed. Just a light freshen up. It is amazing how little work the car had done since I sold it. It even had the same pens and pencils in the clip on the dashboard I sold it with!  :lol: The car had let in a considerable amount of water at some point as the carpets and under-felt was soaked and starting to rot. Thankfully, the carpets can be saved. They weren't cheap back then, and they arent today either!

Assessment of the body shows one new wing, A-panel repair, doorskin, outer sill/jacking point one side and a door step. That's more or less it. As said previously, the MK1 rear light conversion will be done and I am now looking at the sliding window conversion which has been raising itself again recently on this forum. Fortunately, (if I am correct) we have MK1 glass in stores, so I am announcing to Cooperman via this that I will be earmarking them  ;D. Its not a daily car and I love the style, so why not eh? And going for the centre speedo conversion with leather-clothed upper and lower dash rails. 

Will be having a black roof now to match the black group 2 arches. Cooperman will be starting the bodywork soon (after he's finished the list of jobs grandma has set him during isolation  :lol: ) and I am looking at coming back to the UK permanently with my partner around October, so will be able to get to work with Pete again, just like old times!.

For now though, here are a few more pics of it looking sorry for itself, but most importantly, stay safe everyone during this difficult time!

Attached Files

#25 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:34 AM

The 'black rally car' is almost finished and just needs tracking. I'm going to store it in the corner until I am able to use it.

Then, in about 2 weeks time, I'll be starting the resto of Cooperkid's car.

I am hoping that British Oxygen will deliver a new cylinder of Argon-Shield since I am having to totally isolate and won't be able to get one. I guess I can get a friend to collect one for me if necessary.

The body panels can be delivered from Mini Spares or M-Machine and the paint can also be got on-line from Jawal Paints.

This will keep me busy during the 'lock-down'.

To think we did the original resto of this car when Cooperkid was 15, and now he is 25! It'll soon look great again.

For those interested, the engine is 1060 cc, with a 510 (original Cooper 'S') cam, 12G295 gas-flowed head, 3-into-1 ex. manifold, Aldon 'Yellow' dizzy, 10.2:1 CR, RC40 exhaust boxes, etc. I found a good pair of HS2 carbs, so I'll rebuild them and they will be right for a 998 Cooper replica. It was giving 65 bhp when first completed and running with a single HS4, so with a few more mods it should be up to 70-ish bhp. However, the best thing is the old 510 cam which gives excellent torque from around 3000 rpm.

Mustn't forget the 10" wheel conversion as well.

Edited by Cooperman, 02 April 2020 - 09:36 AM.

#26 blakie

blakie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:25 PM

Will be following this closely, especially the engine spec. Looks like I will be doing something similar engine wise with a MK2 rebuild that's currently in progress.

#27 no66

no66

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Local Club: NMCC (Norsk Mini Cooper Club)

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:06 AM

Nice to get you car back. 

Not my first car, but I bought back my Mini from the guy I sold to 18 years ago. 

The car does mean a lot as my wife got me the Minilites and SD cage when were were on our honeymoon in the UK. 

Edited by no66, 03 April 2020 - 10:08 AM.

#28 Harry L

Harry L

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:53 PM

This is a great story! Can't wait to see the transformation of the car  :D

#29 mk1coopers

mk1coopers

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:01 AM

MK 1 side window glass won't work in the doors on an internal hinge shell as they aren't tall enough, best off with one of the plastics for performance kits if you go that route

Great story, I kept my first car for 30 years, then sold the shell, only way I could justify it was by putting the money back into another project, it was hard loading that car onto the new owners trailer, the things we do for these little metal boxes !

#30 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:39 AM

I agree but if you do not sell the old ones you can not afford the replacements....

But yes, i miss my pick up and and and and.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users