#1 Dan_B

Dan_B

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 08:32 PM

Hi all

I have been lurking around for a few weeks, but upped the anti and registered today.

Long story short, I have alway had a soft spot for a mini, but lack any mechanical skills, so have always driven something a bit newer. I have had a few BINI but they haven’t satisfied my urge.

Recently it’s dawned on me, it’s probably now or never, and if I don’t get myself a Mini soon, it will be more expensive and harder etc in years to come.

So....

1) am I completely stupid considering on a mini with no mechanical skill.

2) is it possible to get a a reasonable condition Cooper for £5-6k, ideally a 2000ish Sportspack. They all seem to be £8-10k but not selling, which makes me think it may be.

The plan will be to keep it in the garage, runs out in the summer only with the kids to mini shows and weekend runs etc. It doesn’t need to be concourse, but given my lack of ability, I’m hoping i could get something reasonably solid.

I’d appreciate any input... even if it’s to tell me I shouldn’t....

Thanks Dan_b

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 08:50 PM

Nothing to stop you learning some mechanical skills.  We all started somewhere and a lot of us on Minis.

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:51 PM

Hi all

I have been lurking around for a few weeks, but upped the anti and registered today.

Long story short, I have alway had a soft spot for a mini, but lack any mechanical skills, so have always driven something a bit newer. I have had a few BINI but they haven’t satisfied my urge.

Recently it’s dawned on me, it’s probably now or never, and if I don’t get myself a Mini soon, it will be more expensive and harder etc in years to come.

So....

1) am I completely stupid considering on a mini with no mechanical skill.

2) is it possible to get a a reasonable condition Cooper for £5-6k, ideally a 2000ish Sportspack. They all seem to be £8-10k but not selling, which makes me think it may be.

The plan will be to keep it in the garage, runs out in the summer only with the kids to mini shows and weekend runs etc. It doesn’t need to be concourse, but given my lack of ability, I’m hoping i could get something reasonably solid.

I’d appreciate any input... even if it’s to tell me I shouldn’t....

Thanks Dan_b

Welcome Dan.

To be brutally frank, 1)......Yes.

2).......No.

Edited by DeadSquare, 04 May 2019 - 09:54 PM.

#4 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 05 May 2019 - 12:07 AM

Afraid I have to agree with Dead Square, but it's not just Minis, it's any classic car - I don't whether American, French, German, Italian or what have you. If you can't do the bulk of your own work, they're prohibitively expensive.

#5 Twincam

Twincam

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:19 AM

Have you seen the cooper that's up for sale in the round nose section on TMF?

http://www.theminifo...per-sport-2000/

Edited by Twincam, 05 May 2019 - 06:20 AM.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:23 AM

I don't think it's an issue if you're willing to learn, that's part of the fun. There's no reason why a Mini, especially an injection model, can't be as reliable as a more modern alternative. The parts can be cheaper and you'd have to be particularly mechanically challenged not to be able to pick up the skills for routine maintenance. The hard part is fighting the rust, but if you buy a good 'un and look after it you can still come out on top if you throw everything in to your profit and loss equation; running costs; depreciation; rising values. Not that owning any car is a sensible profit making endeavour.

The scene has definitely being tainted by speculative chancers, but there are still genuine private sales and realistic prices.

#7 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:46 AM

Id say learning with minis is easier with a carb mini than an injection, purely due to the less **** in the engine bay and everything is mechancial in the fueling, i have both a 1986 city e carb and a 1996 SPI cooper 

#8 Broomer

Broomer

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:58 AM

I don't understand why people try to sell late minis for like 10k, I say try as they never seen to drop off eBay...

#9 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:48 AM

I would recommend an earlier carby model and to keep costs within reason go for a 998. They are such simple cars to work on and with the forums being a wealth of knowledge most repairs can be done by ones self with guidance from there. Since the cars have been around so long there shouldnt be much investigation into causes of problems, more of "x is not working" and a quick search or question will tell you "y" is the reason and here is how you fix it. Rust will always be an issue and may be out of your depth but replacement panels are cheap and everywhere so costs are minimal to have someone do it.

With prices going the way they have been you have little fear if you buy properly. Even if you make a poor choice you still may end up ok. If trends continue and i think they will, at least for the foreseeable future, whatever you buy today will be worth more tomorrow so you could just take the chance of buying one and if its too much for you to handle you can just sell for maybe a little loss or maybe a little gain. Nearly everytime i take my car out i am asked if i would consider selling it and mine isnt that nice. I would think a lot of current mini owners are in the same boat.

They say everyone should own a classic mini in their lifetime. Thats why i bought mine. Its a unique ownership experience. One nice thing about these cars above most others is if you dont like something you can simply change it. Really adds to the personal nature of the cars.

#10 CooperKid

CooperKid

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:47 PM

I would certainly agree that (generally) whatever investment you make, it will only go up in value!

The injection cars certainly do have their positives. If you aren't particularity mechanically minded, they will be more reliable and need less 'tinkering' with on a day-to-day basis. I ran an 1998 Cooper MPI as a road car and it was a lot better on cold mornings and longer journeys.

That being said...Its a Mini, its a 60 year old design and will never be as reliable as a 1998 ford fiesta say.

The biggest drawback on an injection is $$ when it goes wrong. As its mainly electrical, it can get very costly to replace any modules/ECU, especially with it being a very early type system and the computer diagnostics are not what they are today.

I think phillruz & kit352 hit the nail on the head to say go with a carb model. Not necessarily even a Cooper. 998's are great little engines and ultimately you can change interiors and decals/badges to suit your personal taste. If its just going to be for summer and shows, you don't really need all the MPI/later cars have to offer.

Just, whatever you do, make sure you get a solid car to begin with. Its all too easy to get trapped in what you think is a solid car, when in fact it can be hiding some nasty secrets. The MPI I had purchased was road legal and was being driven when I purchased it. What was advertised and seemed like a little rust here and there turned out to be:

New sills, new wings, new scuttle panel, new bulkhead, new front panel, new A-panels, door skins etc etc. It was always a restoration project so didn't matter in my case but the sills were pretty much all filler with newspaper dated 2 weeks before I purchased it! A scary thought, especially as it was 'road legal' Imagine being in an accident in that!

Mini's are great cars and you can learn as you go. There are always people on the forums who can offer advice and support and I expect there is someone with a good knowledge around your area.

Keep us all updated on any purchase! :)

Edited by CooperKid, 06 May 2019 - 11:13 PM.

#11 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:51 PM

I got mine a couple of years ago and my mechanical knowledge went as far as that id changed the oil and some brake pads on a Toyota Corolla....
A Haynes manual and the endless YouTube guides from the likes of classic mini diy and I’ve now completed every job myself including clutch and head gasket replacement... I even respirated the roof with some rattle cans which came out alright
Get a decent Halfords advanced socket set (includes imperial sizes)
Most jobs are undo something, clean it/replace it

Luckily so far I’ve not had to do any bodywork as that’s a bit more of an art form and requires proper skill which I definitely do not have

#12 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

I got mine a couple of years ago and my mechanical knowledge went as far as that id changed the oil and some brake pads on a Toyota Corolla....
A Haynes manual and the endless YouTube guides from the likes of classic mini diy and I’ve now completed every job myself including clutch and head gasket replacement... I even respirated the roof with some rattle cans which came out alright
Get a decent Halfords advanced socket set (includes imperial sizes)
Most jobs are undo something, clean it/replace it

Luckily so far I’ve not had to do any bodywork as that’s a bit more of an art form and requires proper skill which I definitely do not have

This right here. You think you love Mini's? This what separates the men from the boys. You will wrench on your Mini, and either it will make you love it even more or just want to run away from them. 

Buy it man, watch youtube, and fall even deeper in love with a Mini. 

#13 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:02 PM

Buy one and don't look back! As previously mentioned check out the link for the one that is for sale on here and/or buy the best you can afford...the mechanics are easier to teach yourself than bodywork, so one with a solid shell would be recommended over one with an ok body but has the bells and whistles engine.

Edited by cooperd70, 09 May 2019 - 02:02 PM.

#14 Dan_B

Dan_B

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

Thankyou to everyone that has replied.... I have took the plunge and will imminently be the proud owner of a 2000 Cooper Sports, purchased from ‘Petrol’ on this forum.

TMF membership sorted..

Haynes manual sorted...

Let’s see where this takes me, I’m sure it won’t be the last post!

Dan

#15 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:29 PM

Thankyou to everyone that has replied.... I have took the plunge and will imminently be the proud owner of a 2000 Cooper Sports, purchased from ‘Petrol’ on this forum.

TMF membership sorted..

Haynes manual sorted...

Let’s see where this takes me, I’m sure it won’t be the last post!

Dan

Congrats on your purchase, your on the road to a great adventure........

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users