#1 Cooper_Spi

Cooper_Spi

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 12:32 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to get my 92 SPI running correctly. I've read sprockets guide, and followed it.

I've replaced all sensors,vac pipes (not blocked or leaking) fuel trap, coil, alternator, OEM lambda, checked that the throttle pot goes from 0.4v to 5v smoothly.

I've checked the stepper has 15.5 ohm on all coils, and the soldering on the back of the stepper board has been reheated - appears ok. I have run the stepper out of the throttle body, and it appears to be working correctly.

So, my throttle sits at 0.9v at ignition pos 2, but if I reindex it, it sits at 0.42v ... For a while, but then I will switch the car on/ off a couple it times, and it is 0.9 again.

I took some screenshots from mems_diag, about the other settings - can't work out how to upload a photo here (car is running rich, and throwing out fuel) but I'm not sure what they mean.
The ECU is desperately trying to reduce the idle speed..
Can anyone throw any light on this please?

Tune_timing -24
Tune idlerpm -3200

Tune_fuel 100
Idle error 512
Coil time 6.3
Ignition advance 4.5
Idle position 25
Fuel trim 100
Lambda 1070

The documentation for mems_diag is limited.

Is it possible to tune the stepper steps with mems_diag?

I have also downloaded mems Rosco.
Can I adjust the stepper steps with that? Any other way? I think someone moved the screw.
I don't have a acr or sp diagnostic.

Any ideas/advice would be appreciated .
Cheers!

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:07 PM

What is the issue then? Is it idling too fast? What was it idling at before?

#3 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

You will need a diagnostics tool something like a Sykes ACR4 to get the info of what's going on with the sensors. You will need to set how many steps the stepper motor goes through. Also with the ignition turned on but the engine not running ,set the basic stepper by fully opening and closing the throttle on the injection unit not the peddle

#4 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:51 PM

Have a log from cold to warm engine with mems-rosco. Upload it here after clicking "more reply options".There you can choose the pictures and files which you want to publish here.When you hover with your mouse over some descriptions in "all readings" you will be shown what is normal for the spi!.You could do a complete reset of the ecu first.( only ignition on,engine not running)

#5 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:08 PM

Although Mems diag is a useful tool I don’t believe that it has all things that and ACR has. It’s good had general health check. Just because you have new everything it doesn’t mean the ECU can read what the sensors are saying. An ACR does those checks for you that and really you need to know that before trying to change stepper settings or other reset type things.

I had this myself recently. The temp sensor in the air filter was brand new but until the ACR told me about the error I had no idea I had break in the wire to that senser. The engine was all over the place and running rich until I found that

The ECU runs in limp mode if it gets an error from certain sensors, that means it will run rich. No amount of ECU resets will fix that.

Go to the pinned topic and see if you can find someone local who can help you with an ACR and the correct pod.

I’m in Guildford and happy to help if you’re in the area.

#6 Cooper_Spi

Cooper_Spi

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:45 AM

Thanks for the replies! I think I have answered all the questions ...
So I can't set the stepper motor steps with anything but an sp acr or crypton act? I was hoping that mems_diag could do that!

The car is giving serious HC and wouldn't pass it's test.

I'm pretty sure my sensors are correct - mems gauge gives no errors, - it did have errors until I went and changed all the sensors .. they all cleared - except on mems_diag where "bit 5 unknown error comes up" - and won't clear. I assume that this is for a sensor that my SPI doesn't have?

The car was never running correctly , but starts well - first click and it's away, and but has been throwing fuel out the back. Previous owner had the whole thing in pieces for a complete rebuild so he might have adjusted everything.

I had it idling fast until I replaced all vac lines, but it is still running rich, and it was the tune_idlerpm value being at -3200 which was worrying me.it appears stuck there, trying to adjust for massive overfueling, maybe?

So all sensors are functioning, and giving decent readings - 92degrees opens the thermostat, 34 kPA map on idle, 100 switched off, air temp is correct, all relays click on the mems gauge tests.
havn't checked if the air filter valve is operating correctly.

Just occasionally, I get massive noise on the sensors, and the scan readings go mental (26000 rpm and other random values on all the sensors) and then it settles down Again.
I will try the mems Rosco warm up and log tonight (thanks genpop), hopefully. I will post back later when I have some data.
Thanks pops_guild, but I'm in York, so a bit of a drive!

#7 Cooper_Spi

Cooper_Spi

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:38 AM

So this is the setting sheet from Mems_diag when it is in ignition on, not running, and the stepper indexed by operating the cam on the throttle.

~TPS sits at 0.42v, and then goes to 0.6v when i switch the ignition off.

back to 0.42v when I switch ignition on again.

Then... after a while, it changes....

Attached Files

Edited by Cooper_Spi, 07 May 2019 - 08:38 AM.

#8 Cooper_Spi

Cooper_Spi

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:45 AM

..and after a while - not even starting the engine yet, it changes to these values - until I reindex the stepper by operating the cam from inside the engine bay.

I have checked my idle switch with a meter, and that works - if i try to rev the engine from under the bonnet, it wont rev up much - has a low limiter on it.

as i say, I hope to get some mems rosco values tonight - full warm-up.

Thanks

Attached Files

#9 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

"if i try to rev the engine from under the bonnet, it wont rev up much - has a low limiter on it."

This is very normal for the first series of spi`s.

You can do a log-file in mems-diag too. But it doesn`t write as much values as mems-rosco.

You can diagnose log-file from mems-diag in mems-rosco too.

If you log in on your smartphone as admin you can export the log-file and send it to your mailadress on your pc.

It is a normal txt file which you can look up in excel too.

#10 Cooper_Spi

Cooper_Spi

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:07 PM

Sadly I can't get out there tonight... I've just bought an acr2 from eBay, but still need a rover pod. Will rover pod 2 adjust the stepper? Or do I need pod 3?

#11 Cooper_Spi

Cooper_Spi

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:28 AM

Well, I have attached my Rosco log.

Car warmed up ok, and no fuel pouring out of the exhaust any more. 

The idle was a fairly steady 900 until I blipped the throttle... and then it did its usual and idled at 1250, I blipped again, but no change.

So, I reset the stepper motor, and plugged in the Sykes ACR (Rover3) that I have just bought. 

No codes, so I did the actuator tests, all seemed ok - no errors reported by the ACR2 anyway.

I tried a stepper adjust.

When the car had finally done its checks, I eventually got to the stepper adjust screen.   

The little bar on the display was flicking around all over the place from 26 - about 45 - made it very hard to adjust.     Is that normal?

For some reason, I thought it would be steady(ish) and only move when I adjusted the screw?

Anyway, I managed to get it set at 29, then realised I was one  step out from the magic 30, and tried again with no success.  The stepper kept reading 0 steps, with the ACR gauge showing the bar to the left. I adjusted the screw fully both ways, and no change.

I then hit the accelerator pedal, and could see the stepper counter climb a little - but only when the car was at around 4000 RPM.

when left to idle again, it jumped around, and then went back to zero.

After that, I couldn't get the ACR to do the step adjust, be cause it kept giving errors about the RPM not being stable.

I have checked the throttle body is closing ok, and i have just purchased a new stepper motor - even though it looked to be working ok. 

I have a worry that the stepper driver chip in the ECU is failing. 

The lambda is new, all vac lines are new, checked, and not blocked or leaking

All sensors are new, and appear to be reading correctly according to ACR2

Most of ECU loom is new.

Throttle pedal switch is working.

Can anyone with some experience of this look at my Mems - Rosco log and give me an idea what is happening, please?

Thanks!

Can anyone with some experience of this look at my Mems - Rosco log and give me an idea what is happening, please?

Attached Files

#12 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:05 AM

Hi Cooper_spi,

i think you have completely missset your ecu.The first view seconds it seems to run normal with lambda status on. Even  closed loop is ok for a view seconds. But then IAC is going down to zero.I don`t know what you did and when you stepped on the gaspedal at 1:56:40 rpm rose up to about 1200 and speed deviation is about 400.

Attached File  cooper_spi.JPG   49.38K   17 downloads

I would connect mems-rosco again and reset all the three .

Attached File  fault codes.JPG   32.35K   22 downloads

Then warm up the engine.

After that , turn in the "srew"  that Idlespeed deviation is nearly zero and idleairContPos is between 20 and 30 .

While setting this you have to raise rpm between each setting.

Attached File  iac.JPG   19.55K   13 downloads

After all do a new logfile.

#13 Cooper_Spi

Cooper_Spi

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 04:28 PM

Hi Genpop, thanks very much for looking at my data - sadly I can't read your annotations on the chart upload as the text/image is so small, and blurry when I magnify it!

To try and answer:

I didn't touch or adjust the car from when I first switched the ignition on, until I pressed the accelerator - which I did after I was sure that the car was at operating temperature -  i did so to prove to my friend that it wouldn't return to the startup idle speed.

The second time I pressed the accelerator, It was to try to prove that pressing it again would not return the idle speed.

I followed your instruction, and reset the three ecu settings within Rosco, then I warmed the engine up to try and set the stepper motor.

It didn't matter where I adjusted the screw - in or out, I could not get the setting "idleairContPos" higher than 0 - and Idlespeed deviation was anywhere from around 600 down to 120ish, depending where the screw was adjusted -mostly at 4-500 but it was never stable.

So I tried hitting the accelerator,, and at 4-5000rpm, the idleairContPos was flying up to 40-80, but as soon as I took my foot off the accelerator, it sat at around 40, then 25, and then ended up climbing down to 0 again.

​I adjusted the screw so far that the revs were so high that the ECU started limiting the revs because the throttle switch was closed. The Idleair was still 0.

I could not achieve the 0 idleairControl of 20-30 - or the idle speed deviation of 0 :(   - 

I have since swapped the stepper motor with a new one, cleaned the throttle body, checked it closes properly, for a few minutes the lambda started running in a 200-600 range and looked quite happy. but It then went back to 1075,1080 i have had no other change.

I've pulled the throttle position switch out of the car, and put a meter set to Ohms (beep position) and put the probes on the + and centre pins, and the value starts falling slowly - even before I have moved the pot arm - which I was a little surprised by. My ACR2 doesn't notice anything strange, nor does Rosco when doing a throttle range check- it appears to run smoothly from around 0.5 to 3.88 volts - but even the ACR is showing 0 steps now - where I have been able to adjust it before. 

is the throttle position sensor breaking down?

- I've got to do some more testing. 

I've also pulled the ecu, and am thinking of getting it checked over, for peace of mind.

Interestingly, I pulled the thick tube that goes from the grey plastic emissions valve (the one with the rubber bung/cap on the end) to the throttle body, and if I blow down it, I can feel a valve or something holding the air, but If if I suck down that pipe I could hear a rush of air from somewhere  on the top/right hand side of the engine.

My rocker cover is an alloy one - it came with the car, but is not the standard SPi one, and the oil cap has a tiny breather hole in the top of it

I realised that the air was coming from there. Is that an error? do I have the wrong rocker/oil filler cap?

I can imagine that I am losing vacuum through that hole, but I don't know if it is intentional?

Is that normal?

It didn't seem worth making another Mems-rosco log yet.

Sorry for so many questions! 

Edited by Cooper_Spi, 19 May 2019 - 04:33 PM.

#14 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:17 PM

Hi cooper_spi

i do not have an alloy rocker cover but it seems to be normal to me.The breathing is regulated by the emission valve.

The position  sensor is working from 0.,5 up to 5 ohm. You can see that when you connect mems rosco within all readings.You need not start the engine, ignition on is sufficiant.

What about IAC steps if you try to increase them on the emission page of mems rosco.Try to set them to 30 and then regulate down rpm  with the screw.

I do not think that your ecu is bad!

Attached File  fine tuning.JPG   38.75K   44 downloads

If that works you may fine adjust with your acr.

#15 Cooper_Spi

Cooper_Spi

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:37 PM

Thanks Genpop

Ok will do, and I will hold off the ECU check before I have tested this.

It will be a couple of days before I get out there.. In the meantime, I will check out my TPS properly.

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users