23 replies to this topic

#1 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:55 AM

Have the above parts ready to fit, I'm aware that the Hilo needs material removing to allow a low enough ride height (standard height is fine for me)

No idea how old my currently fitted rubber cones are, my question is would the ride quality be much improved and more progressive in tandem with the oil filled standard front shocks which have done around 5000 miles?

Are uprated shocks such as kyb black gas self adjust really needed?

#2 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:34 PM

I’ve just fitted red dots with Hi-Lo’s and Protech shocks, the ride is far more compliant than it was with the old standard but knackered cones. I didn’t modify the Hi-Lo’s but I’ve no intention of running lower than standard. I suspect the shape of the red dots has much to do with the improved ride, there seems to have been more thought gone into the shape than the basic hemisphere o/e cones.

#3 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:27 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know you didn't need to machine material off the hilos to run standard ride height

#4 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know you didn't need to machine material off the hilos to run standard ride height

Looking at the sites selling these, they say you only need to modify the hi-lo if you are running smaller rims with smaller tires and intend to run lower than stock. 

Seems that you are running stock height, so you should be fine. 

#5 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:15 PM

Checked on the workbench, my Minispares supplied Hi-Lo's fit fine in the red spot cones even when wound down to the lowest setting.

#6 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:49 AM

I have red spots with Minisport Adjusta ride (which I didn't need to trim) & 10" wheels.  Safe to say that the ride improved massively when I fitted the cones, but the old standard cones were way beyond need to be replaced, they were basically not doing anything. I really like the ride as it is on the red spots if I'm honest, wouldn't change back.  Having the 10" wheels also made a big difference though as it's much more forgiving now than when  the car was on it's 12" set up.

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:55 AM

Guys remember HiLo is a brand (just like Hoover) so don't take it as fact when someone says HiLo that they actually mean HiLo it could just be some cheap copy.

#8 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:20 AM

And it's difficult to take anything from comparisons between standard cones and red-spot cones from anyone that's swapped from a set of knackered standard cones to new red-spot once.  Which is most people.

I suspect the choice of shock could have more impact on the ride than the choice of cone?  When I looked into that the consensus seemed to be that the KYB Gas-a-justs are the best for on the road, I have those but I've not driven the car since they went on, so I don't know how good they are.

#9 mina08

mina08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:58 PM

Just installed KYB Gas-a-justs to all 4 corners, the ride is excellent.

#10 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

Brilliant feedback thanks everyone. I'm fitting minispares hilos the proper black bodied ones and running 12" wheels / Yoko a539 165 width tyres, staying with standard ride height. Your answers have reassured me I can fit the hilos without modifying them.

Initially I'll run the standard oil filled shocks for a few hundred miles then will give the kyb gas adjust a go - are you running the black kybs or the silver ones?

#11 mina08

mina08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:45 AM

Brilliant feedback thanks everyone. I'm fitting minispares hilos the proper black bodied ones and running 12" wheels / Yoko a539 165 width tyres, staying with standard ride height. Your answers have reassured me I can fit the hilos without modifying them.

Initially I'll run the standard oil filled shocks for a few hundred miles then will give the kyb gas adjust a go - are you running the black kybs or the silver ones?

silver

#12 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:34 AM

Ok silver it is

#13 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:38 PM

Quick update, red spots now fitted but used non adjustable kyb shocks as I bought them cheap. Can't say the ride is any softer or progressive maybe better rebound control.

Perhaps adjustable shocks would help with no absorption?

#14 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 28 July 2019 - 09:11 PM

I've done some bench tests a while back on stock and red spot cones, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has had good standard cones and done nothing more than swap these out for the red spots (or the other way around).

From the bench tests, the Red Sopt have almost double the rate (double the 'stiffness') of the stock ones. I'm considering fitting a set of Red Spots.

#15 NZMini1275

NZMini1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:43 AM

I have recently swapped out near new standard cones for the red spots
I have Gaz adjustable shocks and Hilo’s
Rideheight set same as before
My wheels are 13x7 and they would rub on soortsoack arches at track days even with shocks stiffened up
With the red spots I was able to soften the shocks off and had no rubbing at all
They really reduce body roll
Normal road driving feels slightly smoother as shocks are set softer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users