Photo
- - - - -

Pre Verto Clutch Won’T Disengage

Best Answer Ben_Cunnington , 23 May 2019 - 07:43 PM

Sorry chaps for my lack of knowledge on individual names of parts but in the picture above. The part in the top right hand corner was the offending item. I basically had the arm located incorrectly into this part hence lack of throw on the plunger.
Silly mistake but one I’ve certainly learnt from!! Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#46 Ben_Cunnington

Ben_Cunnington

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

Right then chaps. Lovely Mini going up for sale on a fully rebuilt engine and gearbox but with no clutch ?
I’ve tried everything I can think imaginable!! So as explained earlier I removed the diaphragm and was able to move the clutch plate on the primary gear with ease!! So I thought ok, primary gear fine and not catching on the flywheel and primary gear moving freely. Clutch back together, housing screwed back together. Stripped the brand new slave cylinder to make sure all ok, bought and installed a new Clevis pin just in case and still no clutch!! Re bled the clutch a million times over. I’m all out of ideas. My dti failed on me today aswell when trying moke spiders idea. I’m not having any luck at all!!! Should I give up and trailer it to a garage or does anyone else have any other ideas I could try ??

#47 Ben_Cunnington

Ben_Cunnington

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:35 PM

Just to add to that I’ve just tried manually disengaging the clutch with a bar against the arm whilst in gear on axel stands and still nothing!! So to me something isn’t right with the clutch/flywheel?

#48 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:41 PM

You need to remove the flywheel and have it, the clutch,diaphragm and pressure plate set up correctly - you might find the ears of the pressure plate are at the wrong height or the diaphragm is too strong..

#49 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:36 PM

Trying to think what can cause the clutch not to disengage properly assuming hydraulics are ok and all clevis pins and holes are not worn.
I would have thought you should be able to operate the clutch with an suitable lever on the release arm.
Is the release bearing thrust plate on the diaphragm fitted the right way round?
If fitted backwards it might foul the crank bolt and prevent full throw.
Have you got a pre verto crank bolt fitted?

#50 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:45 PM

What sort of angle does your clutch arm sit at in relation to the 'wok'?
Here's mine with MED arm for comparison.

Attached Files

#51 Ben_Cunnington

Ben_Cunnington

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:53 PM

Yeah same here. Just seems so strange. Yeah mine looks identical to yours and then the plunger throws about an inch. Just trying to remember which way I installed the thrust washer. I think it was chamfer toward the block? Yeah i have a pre verto bolt from MED. Thanks so much for your help and guidance people!! It’s permanently occupying my mind at the moment!!

#52 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:18 PM

This way round? Central 'step' towards bearing?

Attached Files

#53 Ben_Cunnington

Ben_Cunnington

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:00 PM

Oh yes this is on correctly. Sorry I thought you meant the primary gear thrust washer haha

#54 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:14 AM

Yeah same here. Just seems so strange. Yeah mine looks identical to yours and then the plunger throws about an inch. Just trying to remember which way I installed the thrust washer. I think it was chamfer toward the block? Yeah i have a pre verto bolt from MED. Thanks so much for your help and guidance people!! It’s permanently occupying my mind at the moment!!

If you had put the primary gear thrust in back to front I doubt you would have got the C washer in. Just remove the dam flywheel ;D

Edited by Rorf, 12 May 2019 - 06:15 AM.

#55 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:26 AM

Was the clevis pin bore in the wok ok? Wear here will cause clutch release problems.

#56 Ben_Cunnington

Ben_Cunnington

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:30 PM

Hey guys so great news!! She’s driving and down to a very simple thing in the end and I hope this helps someone in the future. So with an MED pre verto clutch arm kit the arm has to be slotted into the bell house bearing slot one way only. I had it in the wrong way and wasn’t able to get the throw I required. As soon as I saw the error of my ways it was obvious!! Thanks to everyone :)

#57 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:41 PM

Hey guys so great news!! She’s driving and down to a very simple thing in the end and I hope this helps someone in the future. So with an MED pre verto clutch arm kit the arm has to be slotted into the bell house bearing slot one way only. I had it in the wrong way and wasn’t able to get the throw I required. As soon as I saw the error of my ways it was obvious!! Thanks to everyone :)

i am sorry but all Pre Verto clutch arms only work one way around.

so you are saying you have the pad for the stop nut on the wrong side?

#58 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,897 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:41 AM

i am sorry but all Pre Verto clutch arms only work one way around.

so you are saying you have the pad for the stop nut on the wrong side?

Nick, Ben is not using a stock Arm and Plunger, but an MED type. These have a slipper rather than a Ball on the business end and should wear better. Ben's saying that after he removed the Arm (with all else in place), rotated the Plunger 180 degrees, it worked as it should.

#59 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:10 AM

cant see that on their web page. but then all the plunger (opps rather that arm) have a wider top opening as far as I can remember.

med-4812-hd.jpg

#60 Ben_Cunnington

Ben_Cunnington

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:43 PM   Best Answer

Sorry chaps for my lack of knowledge on individual names of parts but in the picture above. The part in the top right hand corner was the offending item. I basically had the arm located incorrectly into this part hence lack of throw on the plunger.
Silly mistake but one I’ve certainly learnt from!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users