#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:10 PM

And after it blew its guts out, they then tried to rebuild it at the track to keep competing. Not sure if it made it back out.

The compressor wheel basically took everything out and it ended up running on its own oil before it finally expired. 

#3 mini_in_progress

mini_in_progress

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:05 PM

I had a rover 200 tdi about 7 years ago that the turbo oil seals went on it and it started running on its own sump oil as instead of the oil lubing the turbo it fed it into the intake. After a few moments of chucking black smoke everywhere and revving its nuts off and the mrs bailing out on me i managed to wack it in 5th and dump the clutch and it stalled.. looking at that vid and it being in the states id guess its an auto and much harder to do simlar, also running dry sump it may even have an electric pump pumping more oil into it. I like the spirit of these guys tho rebuiling it to continue.

Edited by mini_in_progress, 07 May 2019 - 11:05 PM.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:26 AM

That's ACE - love that :D

#5 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:54 PM

And after it blew its guts out, they then tried to rebuild it at the track to keep competing. Not sure if it made it back out.

The compressor wheel basically took everything out and it ended up running on its own oil before it finally expired. 

Since the compressor wheel was gone, my take is that the oil feed for the turbo was being fed directly into intake manifold until KABOOOM!  No way to stop it other than to drown the intake with something other than air.

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:29 PM

Since the compressor wheel was gone, my take is that the oil feed for the turbo was being fed directly into intake manifold until KABOOOM!  No way to stop it other than to drown the intake with something other than air.

That certainly looked like it but also he could not shut the engine down. he tried using the brakes but that did nothing. Not sure if he had a electronic cutoff or manual.

I follow the boys at PowerDrivenDiesel on Youtube and that had a similar thing happen on the strip. He had installed an electronic shut off rather than a manual one. 8200 rpm later the engine exploded, causing massive damage to the truck and catastrophic damage to the engine. The head came off the block, the block broke into a lot of pieces, the camshaft exited the side of the engine which in turn hit something else and so on.

All very impressive to watch

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:22 PM

https://jalopnik.com...omin-1834551700

That certainly looked like it but also he could not shut the engine down. he tried using the brakes but that did nothing. Not sure if he had a electronic cutoff or manual.

I follow the boys at PowerDrivenDiesel on Youtube and that had a similar thing happen on the strip. He had installed an electronic shut off rather than a manual one. 8200 rpm later the engine exploded, causing massive damage to the truck and catastrophic damage to the engine. The head came off the block, the block broke into a lot of pieces, the camshaft exited the side of the engine which in turn hit something else and so on.

No shut off would have worked it was burning engine oil and was self fuelling. AKA grenading happens to everyday cars when the DPF cycle is not run correctly and fuel gets in the oil and then it gets to a critical level and boom. And customer service rang the bell.

#8 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:50 PM

I can remember when some tractors went from paraffin engines to diesel.

If, in a low gear, they pulled off the road, up a slope into a field, there was no second choke to open up, and they stalled.

The reaction was to declutch and try to restart, but if the driver panicked and the tractor ran back in gear, the engine would start in reverse.

Without the governors working, unless they could be stalled, the engines used to rev them selves to pieces.

The problem was soon solved by putting a step in the back side of the injector cams.

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:58 PM

https://jalopnik.com...omin-1834551700

No shut off would have worked it was burning engine oil and was self fuelling. AKA grenading happens to everyday cars when the DPF cycle is not run correctly and fuel gets in the oil and then it gets to a critical level and boom. And customer service rang the bell.

Not from what was said. The mechanical shutoff would have shut it all down before the engine had a chance to start sucking on its own oil, whereas when he hit the switch for the electronic one it did not work. Those were his words and was in the follow up when they went over the damage.

It was interesting seeing what actually survived and the devastation that was caused. 

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:44 AM

Runaway Diesels are AWESOME - as long as they aren't yours !

A CO2 Fire Extinguisher works well to shut them down.

I didn't know a Jet Engine could also runaway !

This is even better than a Runaway Diesel !!

#11 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:10 AM

Apparently 5 cylinder Perkins engines were known to run backwards if the starter caught the ring gear in just the wrong place. It must have been kick back. My Father-in-law had it happen to him in the 50's. Ran to a safe distance and waited until it blew up. No governer when going backwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users