JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:51 PM

Hi;

My speedo stopped working and I seemed to recall it looked like the cable had broken where the cable enters the speedo.

As I have fitted a custom dash I asked Mini Spare to advise on the best cable to get, they advised me to  get the 48 inch Clubman version:

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

So I fitted the cable, which as you are probably aware is an absolute pain to do, however the speedo still didn't work. Last weekend I disconnected it from the speed, jacked up the car and span the wheels only to find that the cable was not turning, so either it is not inserted far enough into the gearbox end or that part is broken?

Can anyone give me any advice on how to facilitate a repair and what parts I need to buy if the failure is at the gearbox end, I have had a look through the catalogues on MiniSpares but its not very clear?

Thanks 

#2 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:04 PM

Hi;

My speedo stopped working and I seemed to recall it looked like the cable had broken where the cable enters the speedo.

As I have fitted a custom dash I asked Mini Spare to advise on the best cable to get, they advised me to  get the 48 inch Clubman version:

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

So I fitted the cable, which as you are probably aware is an absolute pain to do, however the speedo still didn't work. Last weekend I disconnected it from the speed, jacked up the car and span the wheels only to find that the cable was not turning, so either it is not inserted far enough into the gearbox end or that part is broken?

Can anyone give me any advice on how to facilitate a repair and what parts I need to buy if the failure is at the gearbox end, I have had a look through the catalogues on MiniSpares but its not very clear?

Thanks 

Hey JonnyAlha, did you get this resolved..??

#3 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 12 March 2020 - 10:39 PM

Yes I did. The cable was not pushed far enough into the drive at the gearbox. With the engine in the car it proved easier to remove the speedo drive unit, insert and do up the cable out of the car and refit the drive unit to the gearbox.
The speedo occasionally bounces and stops working but that is gauge end.

#4 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 10:44 PM

Thx sir as my speedo and temperature gauge stopped working and temp gauge first and looking for other xperiences. Now, gas gauge works and I did put in a cylinder head and then it just stopped working. Fuses seen to be fine as well

Oh well, I will run the gamit of tests over the next week

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,415 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 March 2020 - 01:46 AM

It's a good sign if the fuel gauge works normally,it shares almost all its circuit with the temp gauge.

Simplest test is to earth the wire at the temp sensor , the gauge should jump up to hot.

#6 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:01 AM

It's a good sign if the fuel gauge works normally,it shares almost all its circuit with the temp gauge.

Simplest test is to earth the wire at the temp sensor , the gauge should jump up to hot.

Thx as always Ethel for your sound advise again as was just told the same. I ordered a new temp gauge as fingers crossed it could be as simply as that. Oh and oil gauge is fine..

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,415 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 March 2020 - 12:03 PM

Oil gauge is mechanical if it's original eqpt.

Hope you meant a new Temp sender . It's just a variable resistance that the gauge earths through, so bypassing to earth the gauge will show if it's faulty and earth the body of it to be sure it's not just an earthing issue.

#8 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 04:08 PM

Yes I meant temp sender and grounded and needle did not move on gauge / going to investigate more as 90% is earth issue so let me do some more digging / thx again Ethel

Edited by postve, 14 March 2020 - 04:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users