9 replies to this topic

#1 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:35 AM

Say you bought a heritage shell, what would you do with the old shell? Obviously it would have no v5 and you would take the vin off but what do people do in this instance?

Scrap it? - Seems a shame

Sell it? - Not worth a lot

What about the vin in the scuttle, could someone try and claim the identity of the car back?

#2 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:55 AM

Ifs it’s too good to scrap, why use a new shell, but if you are then I would cut out the section of scuttle with number and just advertise it as a shell with no v5, people with worse shells may buy it or someone building a track car.
If not used for that then many will buy sections of the shell for repair sections then rest can be scrapped.

#3 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:26 AM

That seems wrong. Surely if a new “heritage” shell is produced that can legally take the identity of the original car and not need a new identity, the original shell would need to be scrapped and recorded as such. Unless this happens surely the government/DVLA are not doing their job properly?

#4 mini_in_progress

mini_in_progress

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:44 AM

Parts...if the roof is good that can be worth cash, then make a trailer out the rest... seemed to be a popular thing to do years ago

#5 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:00 AM

That seems wrong. Surely if a new “heritage” shell is produced that can legally take the identity of the original car and not need a new identity, the original shell would need to be scrapped and recorded as such. Unless this happens surely the government/DVLA are not doing their job properly?

Most of my cars don't have a VIN, so if I bought a heritage shell there would be nothing to tell the DVLA

Therefore the old shell mentioned by the original post could replace a non VIN shell.

#6 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:22 AM

used cut are up and take it the tip

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:35 AM

Sell it.....as said people often need parts of a shell not available as common repair panels or can be used for an unregistered competition/track car with some work.

#8 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. Just sorting through a never ending list of options with what to do with my build

#9 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:50 PM

Cut the good parts off the car. A guy gave us good money for a roof, the floors were too badly gone, the front end was new but the inner wings were knackered...

So the guy cut the roof off, cut the car through the floor pan and I've used various good patches for my other minis

#10 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:14 AM

Well I'm going to put it up for sale later on today as complete unit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users