2 replies to this topic

#1 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:18 AM

So I was *really* hoping to finish assembling my gearbox before my trip to the UK, but perhaps it is not meant to be...

In the midst of rebuilding the gearbox I checked the endfloat of the laygear and i could just about fit a 0.015" feeler blade into the gap between the laygear and the smaller thrust washer. That is HUGE. Keep in mind this is the original thrust washer I had when i took the gearbox apart.

Using a vernier caliper, I measured the thickness of the smaller thrust washer to be in the 0.124-0.126" range. To get the endfloat down to 0.003 I'd need a 0.138" thrust washer, but the thickest sold on minispares is 0.132"

is there a source of a thicker thrust washer? If I were to fit the 0.132 washer the endfloat would be exactly 0.006 provided the washer wasn't thinner than it was supposed to be.

Is it possible to get a thicker thrust washer? Also seeing as the endfloat must have been so out for so long, what damage would that have done?

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:39 AM

First of all check the thickness of the larger thrust washer at the other end of the layshaft.  I can't find what the thickness of this one should be but someone will be able to tell you either on here or phone Minispares.  If that is worn then a new one will reduce the gap.

If it is the correct thickness then shims are available to put behind the thrust washer.  See here:  http://www.theminifo...t-washer-shims/

#3 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

hmmm would those shims have the same problems as the old type thrust washers without the tabs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users