#1 Podman

Podman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Local Club: Snowdon Minis

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:47 AM

Can anyone convert a .jpg or .tif image, to a Catia V5 file please? or what's the best way to go around doing so please? I can convert to a .ppf file for Edgecam, but I can't get the .if file to cross over. its for Micro milling a custom part for someone.

cheers in advance.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:34 AM

nope.

min. requirement is a Vector file.

#3 r.tec

r.tec

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Local Club: SfG Schoenau

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:43 AM

...the best way is to re-engineer the parts you need in a CAD-Application, not necessarily CATIA which costs several thousands per month on license fees. But you could try your hands on FreeCAD for example. https://www.freecadweb.org/

I, just for fun, did it (and still do) and put my files on grabcad: https://grabcad.com/h.segeth-1/models

#4 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:26 PM

in terms of cad packages, Fusion 360 is tthe best free one IMO, you can get it on a student/startup licence where its free untill you turnover 100,000 (USD iirc)

#5 superchiwawa

superchiwawa

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Local Club: Minis Stuck in Garages

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:46 PM

I've done this before using a jpg to dxf converter (tried to draw up mini subframes in CATIA), but the accuracy can be sloppy. Depends entirely on the input image. 

You will end up with a dxf full of points to cleanup, and the location of each point will depend entirely on the pixels in the image (if you wanted it t be easier you would need some pretty high level AI in the converter to recognaise with sufficient precision your part and determine which pixels to include and which to exclude).

Also determining scale can be an issue without a reference. This is why vector files exist.

All these issues will affect the final machined part (crap in = crap out). You would need to take into account what tolerances your part needs to be fabricated within to know how much "conversion" error margin you have.

Can I ask what you are trying to make, and what exactly is your jpg (engineering drawing? actual part?)

Edited by superchiwawa, 11 May 2019 - 10:47 PM.

#6 superchiwawa

superchiwawa

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:51 PM

in terms of cad packages, Fusion 360 is tthe best free one IMO, you can get it on a student/startup licence where its free untill you turnover 100,000 (USD iirc)

Also worth looking at Onshape if CAM is not a priority, it's the first fully cloud based cad platform, designed by the creators of solidworks (web app, no application to install). Free unlimited use if you don't mind your models being public domain and compatible with lots of formats including Catia files.

Takes a bit of getting used to like any MCAD package. The UI is pretty simple (simpler than CATIA which was my stumbling block), but plenty useful if you want a fully fledged cad system without the licences fees.

Freecad is great effort for an Open Source CAD project, but I found the UI to be clunky and not so logical, so you spend a lot more time trying to get things done

Edited by superchiwawa, 11 May 2019 - 10:57 PM.

#7 Podman

Podman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:37 AM

I've done this before using a jpg to dxf converter (tried to draw up mini subframes in CATIA), but the accuracy can be sloppy. Depends entirely on the input image. 

You will end up with a dxf full of points to cleanup, and the location of each point will depend entirely on the pixels in the image (if you wanted it t be easier you would need some pretty high level AI in the converter to recognaise with sufficient precision your part and determine which pixels to include and which to exclude).

Also determining scale can be an issue without a reference. This is why vector files exist.

All these issues will affect the final machined part (crap in = crap out). You would need to take into account what tolerances your part needs to be fabricated within to know how much "conversion" error margin you have.

Can I ask what you are trying to make, and what exactly is your jpg (engineering drawing? actual part?)

I've been asked if I can program a company logo, to machine it into gear knobs for them. they've sent me an image file, but I can only utilise the Catia / Edgecam systems that we have in work, (during my lunchtime, honest ;D ). so I want to transfer this image into a file where I can get lines and points, surfaces aren't really an issue with this, as it would be all profile milling.

#8 stoneface

stoneface

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

Hi Podman,

I might be able to help.

I use a package called Vetric Aspire. I use it to convert graphics files into vector lines for CNC routing or 3D machining G gode.

If I've understand correctly, you want to take a graphics image and convert it into a 2D line profile format such as a dwg or dxf or catia file to generate G gode from.

I also have Inventor and Autocad so can convert to many other formats, one of which is catia but never tried it.

Drop me a PM and we can give it a try.

#9 superchiwawa

superchiwawa

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:14 AM

I've been asked if I can program a company logo, to machine it into gear knobs for them. they've sent me an image file, but I can only utilise the Catia / Edgecam systems that we have in work, (during my lunchtime, honest ;D ). so I want to transfer this image into a file where I can get lines and points, surfaces aren't really an issue with this, as it would be all profile milling.

Sure, we all do our personal Catia work during lunchtime only... ;)

OK so precision isn't your main concern. You just need an outline in a dwf (google jpeg to dxf, there's a bunch of free converters online), copy that into a sketch, scale and constrain as required, then project onto your gear knob surface.

Or doing some googling:

- maybe you can try this http://www.type3-caa.com/   (30 day free trial, never tried)

- somewhere in Catia V5 there is a sticker function for this purporse (no idea which workbench... - ah ok you need real time rendering):

(same in english) https://grabcad.com/...-on-catia-part

- or dxf to sketch: https://www.technia....catia-v5-model/

Edited by superchiwawa, 15 May 2019 - 11:20 AM.

#10 Podman

Podman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:18 AM

Right, I managed it. I've converted the file to a .dxf file, which allows me to import it into Edgecam, and then convert to save as a .ppf for modelling it up.

thanks to all for the advice and tips, I'm sure to come back to them again at some point. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users