9 replies to this topic

#1 CityKie

CityKie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:35 AM

I bought a metro turbo engine with a view of putting it in my City.

I was told the engine was seized so took the head off to have a look, its defo not seized i can easily turn it with a socket ...... It looks great to me, no marks on the bores and pistons seen to be sealing well. I have a compression tester on the way to be sure.

The head was a bit of a mess but its cleaned up really well and the valve seat and valves look great.

Infact the turbo wasn't even seized, it had been sitting covered in a garden for 18 years !!! I'm going to check the big ends and G/box then put back together, rebuild the carb and try and run it. ( i don't often get lucky with engine purchases but i think i might be on the cusp of luck)

Alas I seem to have a little problem, I've used a compressor to blow out an loose rust in the block, an then blew out from the block water flow holes. 1 hole i think should be clear isn't. I've tried a hole punch gently and then a drill to see if anything is pulled out. But nothing seems to be stuck in there, it seems the hole is only about 1cm deep and doesn't allow flow to the water jacket in the head.

Attached File  block-block.jpg   92.08K   3 downloads

I've put a WD40 pipe in the hole to show which one i have a question about.... should this hole allow water to flow from the block to the head ?

:) sorry for my lack of knowledge around the terminology, I'm sure its not called a flow hole !!! but should it allow water through ?

thank you all :)

#2 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:59 AM

yep that and the othwer 8 at the front of the block should flow water, also the 3 large ones and 2 smallerr ones the other side of the bores slould flow water too.

right at the back there are the 8 pushrod holes and one oil hole.

bear in mind that with an unknown engine anything could have gone on, as a minimum I would split from the gearbox and check the crank bearings, and also put new rings in and through a hone through it, remember this isnt a std 998!

#3 CityKie

CityKie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:14 AM

Thank you for the reply, I'll see if i can identify the blockage when I remove the block from the g/box later on.

I'll take on board the advice around a small rebuild and honing, this was on my list but its looks so clean.... its now back on ! :)

cheers Kieran

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:18 AM

I would strip and get it in a washer. (hot caustic) for a good clean and then look at clearing that blockage. remove all plugs, water and oil first so it get as much crud and rust out as possible.

#5 CityKie

CityKie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:14 PM

I just managed to clear the hole with a little more persuader hammer and a smaller punch. Then i drilled it out to clear it properly. ( love working from home ! :) )

Can't believe how hard the build up of crud was. 

I'll continue stripping, thanks all :)

#6 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:28 PM

sounds like the water jacket will need a good clear out, might be worth plugging the waterpump and putting some causic soda down ther and letting it sit.

#7 CityKie

CityKie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:33 PM

^^^ ooh great idea and in my budget !! :) will give it a whirl :)

thank you.

Kieran

#8 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:16 PM

You can use a mixtutre of water and CRI (Screwfix sell it) in a tub to soak the block for a week or so. I use one of those large plastic storage boxes you buy at B&M/ Poundstretchers for about £6 to soak my blocks. An alternative is to use the same tank but with washing soda in the water and an electrolysis setup with a 12v battery. Google it. Both methods work.

#9 CityKie

CityKie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:04 PM

^^ thank you I googled the electrolysis ....works a treat !! haven't go to the block yet but the head and flywheel came up brilliantly. I read about it working line of site from the rust to the electrode. so i finished the head off in white vinegar... again a great stripper !!!!

#10 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:49 AM

Citric acid and a drop of screen wash also makes a good rust remover. I used it on my spare MPi block and the insides are much cleaner now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users