12 replies to this topic

#1 birdistheword96

birdistheword96

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:25 PM

I had a broken lock on my drive side door so bought a complete new set of locks from Mini Spares.

I replaced the broken one and it worked fine, so for the sake of having one key, I decided to replace the other door. That didn't work, it kept getting jammed (even when the lock was out of the car) and not engaging the push button mechanism, so I closed the original door to test the button feel and see how it worked. And then that one stopped working. The keys themselves turn in the lock but the door latch mechanism inside just isn't being engaged by the lock.

So I'm now completely locked out. I have access to the boot but I don't think you can crawl in past the rear bulkhead. Any ideas on how to get in?

I really don't want to smash a window :/ Please help!

It's a 97 MPi Mini Cooper

#2 birdistheword96

birdistheword96

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:30 PM

FYI these were the locks I ordered and fitted:

https://www.minispar...ic/CZH1785.aspx

#3 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:32 PM

Call the AA/RAC if you're a member.  They may charge extra for that though.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:53 PM

Call a lock Smith, the mini is basic to get into, also if you don't have door cards fitted it makes life easier

Does the car have opening rear quarter Windows?

Edited by cal844, 09 May 2019 - 06:53 PM.

#5 birdistheword96

birdistheword96

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:49 PM

The door cards aren't fitted because I took all of that off to replace the locks. The locks themselves work (i.e putting the key in and turning it turns the barrel), but it's the mechanism that's not engaging with the door latch and lock, so not sure a locksmith can help...

It does have rear windows that open slightly yes, is there a way to open them from the outside?

#6 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:04 AM

The AA/RAC have tools which slide down behind the window rubber from the outside so the lock mechanism on the inside can be manipulated. 

They used to be widely available but restrictions were placed on the sale of them as it wasn't always members of the breakdown services who bought them. 

Locksmiths probably have them too but I've only seen them in use with the former. 

Well I thought there were restrictions on buying them but having looked they're widely available.  They do require a certain level of skill to use though.

Call a locksmith or two and see what they say. 

#7 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:54 AM

If you can get one of the rear windows open wide enough to get your hand in with a screw driver and remove the 2 screws holding the window catch to the C post. I've just tried this on mine and I think it's just doable.Then open the window as wide as possible but take care because the hinges are a bit delicate and also get someone to support the window while you reach inside. Don't want to sort one problem and cause another.

If youve got long enough arms to reach along to the internal lock or get something to reach across to the other door to flip the internal catch on that.

Just a suggestion.

Edited by MikeRotherham, 10 May 2019 - 07:59 AM.

#8 birdistheword96

birdistheword96

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:39 PM

Thanks MikeRothram, going to try that this evening, if I can get the windows open the I should be able to reach through and press the plate thich releases the door latch.

I will update once I've tried it.

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:42 AM

Don't break anything. If you're really stuck remove the rear screen. Can you press the door release button in?

#10 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:59 AM

Don't break anything. If you're really stuck remove the rear screen. Can you press the door release button in?

If removing anything what about the windscreen, there are wires for the heated rear window that may become detached if the glass is removed without disconnecting first.

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 01:25 PM

That's a fair point. You should be able to detach them with care, but it is a risk. There may well not be a need to remove any glass, but not something I'd be happy putting on a public forum - even if scumbags will get in anyway if they want to.

#12 birdistheword96

birdistheword96

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:52 AM

Hi all,

I did manage to get in through the one of the back windows using an air wedge and pushesd the release button, so thank you for all your help.

Did end up breaking the latch on the rear window (the little metal plate that sits against the rubber pads in the window has come out) but I'm hoping that'll glue back in :)

Edited by birdistheword96, 16 May 2019 - 06:53 AM.

#13 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:29 AM

If it's broken on the glass side of the hinge, the frame around the glass joins with a tiny screw on the edge between the hinges. Be careful, those components are surprisingly expensive, assuming you can even find them for sale.

There was a way you might've got it unlocked directly on the door. The main lesson is always have at least one window or door open when tinkering with locks  >_<  (I learned that from experience too)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users