Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Know This 1983 Clubmans Background?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 catch_me

catch_me

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:56 PM

Hey all, been watching classics for sale in the US for years now and one recently came up that is pretty unique. I know it came from over in England, but the seller really has no background information on it and just curious if anyone recognizes the car. Here is the for sale ad: https://www.minimani...T_Clubman_Sedan any info would be appreciated.

#2 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:58 AM

Not personally, however you could input the reg into here (https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk) and it'll bring up the MOT history whilst it was in the UK (and recorded).

#3 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 05:47 AM

Ponder this - If you were selling a car, why would you not use up to date pictures?

Edited by GraemeC, 10 May 2019 - 08:43 AM.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:27 AM

when it was in the UK it was never well maintained.  always failed the MOT and was then fixed. so looks like no owner maintenance was done. must have been in a real bad way to change the whole front to a clubman front.

I wonder what it looks like now? considering the last UK MOT was about 10 years ago so those pictures will be about 10years old.

#5 catch_me

catch_me

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:38 AM

Ponder this - If you were selling a car, why would you not use up to date pictures?

These pictures are currently up to date, as the location tag in my phone when I downloads them shows them at the house in North Carolina of guy who imported. Claims the build was finished 1-1.5 years ago, which could make sense why it was not registered for 10 years if it was getting a major overhaul, but the paint cracking along the from bumper body kit and rough engine bay tell a different story. He claimed a mechanic built the car.

Attached Files

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:53 AM

I seriously doubt that it is straight. 

#7 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:51 AM

This photo below was taken in the UK, you can tell by the houses, the window type and size and the way the drainage is etc.

Screenshot-2019-05-10-at-12-49-55.png

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:59 AM

any one checked the regs on the garage door? ding dong

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:09 PM

basically this is a 1978 Clubman that has had an A+ engine dropped into it and has had the reg plate from a Mayfair attached to it.

bet the GT badge is not even off a 1275GT.

#10 catch_me

catch_me

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:11 PM

The middle plate on the door comes up as a Black 1978 Austin Morris Mini Clubman, which hasn’t been registered since 2011.... I just ran it, which makes this even more a little interesting.

#11 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:33 PM

Buyer beware. IF it was a proper 1275GT it would be worth a chunk of change BUT this smacks of something other than that.

Twin dial dash is more in keeping with a standard Clubman ( I have one by the way) so basically this is a 78 Clubby with different docs to try and make it into something it’s not.

#12 catch_me

catch_me

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:43 PM

Buyer beware. IF it was a proper 1275GT it would be worth a chunk of change BUT this smacks of something other than that.

Twin dial dash is more in keeping with a standard Clubman ( I have one by the way) so basically this is a 78 Clubby with different docs to try and make it into something it’s not.

Yes, the seller is not trying to market it as a 1275GT, he knows it is a standard clubby, as do I. But he has no other information other than what is observable, and even has the year wrong as it is a 1978 from looking into the plates in the pictures while it was still over by you in England. It looks like a decent starting point for a hot road performance car (the fact its not a true 1275GT makes it a better base for this actually), I am curious though about the back story, as the seller either know nothing of its past, or is trying to hide it.

#13 catch_me

catch_me

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:49 PM

Based on what it is, any major things I should look for structurally to check since I am told it has been "fully restored" and has "no rust issues". I am working on getting underbody shots, but anything else I should be looking for that give a clear indication of the shape of the body under the paint? Areas to look at?

#14 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:27 AM

Read up about oversills and check in the rear bins for rust.

#15 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:28 AM

Based on what it is, any major things I should look for structurally to check since I am told it has been "fully restored" and has "no rust issues". I am working on getting underbody shots, but anything else I should be looking for that give a clear indication of the shape of the body under the paint? Areas to look at?

Check inside the boot especially around the rear subframe mounting points. Lift the carpets and check the inner sills and also the floor where the external slinging brackets are fitted. Although difficult to see have a look at the heelboard ends for signs of rust. 

Outer sills, now this is where the biggest can of worms could be hiding. Check to see if oversills have been fitted. If so budget for some inner sill replacements normally to first flute on the floor. And no they are acceptable, they are wrong and also decrease the strength in those areas.

With the carpet up, have a look at the flitches for any rust, very common and also around the fresh air vents either side. These are not so easy to see but have a look under the front wings right at the back. While you are there you can also see the scuttle closeout plates. if these are damaged, rusty etc then that will lead you onto the scuttle itself. Both ends are the normal areas to rust and also the normal areas to bodge and fill.

The front wings inner wings and front panel are specific to the clubman and are expensive panels to replace.

If you have a look at Project Paddy in my signature you will see everything that i have mentioned and more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users