Ian115

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:11 AM

hi

i have a 96 SPI 1.3.

i have recently changed the fuel pump, fuel filter as after an hour of running the car would cut out and blow the fuel pump fuse. i took it for a run all running well.

Today i have started it and it took a bit longer to start up, when running it seems very rough and on driving felt like it was about a stall at all time, and seemed to at times miss fire.

It got a bit better once the engine warmed up but didn't stop. 

this is completely new issue as run great before, nothing was changed over night although it was stood out of the garage overnight and has been raining a lot although i don't suspect this is the issue. 

i have changed the coil/airfilter/oil/HT leads/belt as general service parts but it was running well after all these changes. 

have you got any ideas what could have caused the over night change?

im hoping for a quick fix as i was due for the london to brighton so im a bit gutted this has happened out the blue.

thanks

Ian

#2 Ade-Cooper

Ade-Cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:38 PM

Strange one - but try the adjusting the timing by slackening and moving the dizzy.

Mine was misfiring like crazy - replaced everything and this was the last thing I though of to be honest!

#3 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

More than likely one of those stupid elbows has perished. Check all of them for signs of splitting. Ecu ,fueltrap, back of manifold, and air filter , normally it's one of the ones on the manifold

Edited by hunterg30, 10 May 2019 - 02:27 PM.

#4 cookie4343

cookie4343

**Caution: Do Not Feed Alcohol**

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 Mini's

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:59 PM

More than likely one of those stupid elbows has perished. Check all of them for signs of splitting. Ecu ,fueltrap, back of manifold, and air filter , normally it's one of the ones on the manifold

Yes I'd definitely take a look at all the vacuum pipes. Also check the fuel trap pipes. I replaced all mine with silicon the other day, my spi mini is so much smoother to drive since, pulls smoothly without the stalling.
This thread helped me. http://www.theminifo...oint-injection/

Edited by cookie4343, 10 May 2019 - 03:01 PM.

#5 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:37 AM

Have had this with mine, and have sorted it twice. The part that caused mine is difficult to get at, so I'm not going to go gung ho and tell you to replace it straight off. What you need is a code reader to check the sensors. These days you don;t need a specific tool, just a lead off ebay and a laptop (or even a smart phone). I know a lot of the guys are using bluetooth dongles and smartphones, just not sure you can get them for the spi mini.

https://www.ebay.co....YwAAOSw1rpcJgzE

Read Sprocket's pinned thread in the injection section of the forum and check the basics & cheaper causes such as the vac hoses.

http://www.theminifo...oint-injection/

Mine has suffered this issue twice. Thre first time it was caused by a broken wire in the O2 sensor heating circuit.  Unfortunately I trusted the issue to a garage that diagnosed the sensor as faulty and replaced it without testing whether there was any power too it, so it was an expensive uneccessary repair (hence why I say find a code reader before randomly changing parts). The second time the cause was a faulty coolant temp sensor, which in turn damaged the O2 sensor again. Changing both sorted it and the car runs betetr than ever now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users