Photo

Let's See Your Lighting Choices! Headlights, Taillights, Led, Whatever...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:54 PM

It's actually a mk1 Golf GTI splitter  ;D

How did you mount it?  I presume it's split in the middle to make the width correct?

#17 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:04 AM

How did you mount it?  I presume it's split in the middle to make the width correct?

The split is actually completely standard, that's just how it comes. I'm not sure why though! I haven't modified the length in any way. It can be mounted straight to the valence with the existing mounting flange, but it was a bit wobbly so I made up some L-brackets from sheet steel and bolted it on :)

#18 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:24 PM

I haven't modified the length in any way.

No way, I thought you'd have to shorten it.  I've just looked at mk1 Golf pictures and can see it isn't the full width of the car, but not far off.  Makes you realise how much smaller cars used to be, Golfs are a lot wider now!

#19 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:20 PM

Yup, I've had a couple of Mk1 golf GTI's over the years and they're tiny things really - hence why they're so fun to drive! Late model GTI's are still nice cars, but truly massive by comparison! The UP GTI is a fun little car though, and more like the Mk1 Golf in terms of driving experience.

#20 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:55 PM

Anyway to get back to the subject of lighting here's some photos of my old pickup I had in the nineties.

Under bumper front fog lights - lasted a week or two before one got smashed on a verge after a handbrake turn in a narrow lane.

Pvcy5PB.jpg

Round fog lights acquired from brother linked to main beam (rubbish idea as light is too close to vehicle) and old remaining fog light used as work light although never actually used as a work light but an occasional reversing light - very effective.

kMNeVuH.jpg

Cheap Ring driving lights from Halfords which were suprisingly good for their size and made night driving on main beam much safer.  I had Lucas halogen headlights but the Ring lights reached further into the dark.

t6aZ8jn.jpg

The surviving rectangle fog light now moved to below rear bumper; high level brake light; Land Rover rear fog light.

87UaCrn.jpg

#21 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:43 PM

Damn really nice unburnt!

What 3rd brake light did you fit? Any details?

I've seen a few minis with the under bumper fog lights, but they sometimes seem out of place. I was thinking of using one as a reverse light though.

#22 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:04 PM

Damn really nice unburnt!

What 3rd brake light did you fit? Any details?

I've seen a few minis with the under bumper fog lights, but they sometimes seem out of place. I was thinking of using one as a reverse light though.

Glad you like it.

That brake light was bought from a car accessory shop around 1996.  I'd had three people drive into the back of me before that - that's why the tailgate is slightly stoved in.  The rear screen was my head restraint. 

Front fog lights make excellent reversing lights.  It was controlled by a switch on the dash so I only used it when necessary.

#23 Kombi

Kombi

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:36 PM

mY6qO7C.jpg

I kept it very tame; Cibie headlamps with clear, self-adhesive lens protectors and Cibie fogs with yellow lens protectors mounted with individual brackets.

You can probably make out the wrinkling on the headlamps though, it's rather frustrating and I can't make it go away especially now that some debris has collected on the adhesive. I'll probably remove those and look for another brand that conforms better.

#24 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,991 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:44 PM

I have Wipac Quadoptic H4 headlights (with parker/side marker bulbs wired in). These have a nice curve to the front of the lense. 

BMC approved accessory Butler Fog & Spot lamps - I have a spare grille so these are on and off the car when I like a change

The indicator lenses on Australian cars are white as they also had the parker/side marker wired in. Now they are only indicators so I swap them to orange every now and then.

43150782600_6ebc46c7f6_b.jpg

39139787064_8bb95cf9e2_b.jpg

At the rear I have a high mount brake light, which my grandpa put on.

I also have a pair of red US spec indicator lenses, which again I swap around at times.

15938766518_ae01b7825a_b.jpg

#25 mattj99

mattj99

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:51 PM

Here are some internal lights I've fitted to my mini

First up is the map light - this is from a BMW Mini. There are two standard bulbs, both light up when you open the doors. When the doors are closed you can turn either of them on individually.  There are also two orange LEDs which come on with the sidelights. This creates a nice ambient glow over the gear stick area.

IMG_20190419_121134.jpg
IMG_20180910_185251.jpg
IMG_20180910_185238.jpg

Then in place of the standard interior light I've got some led uplighters. Fitted on both sides these cast a nice orange glow on to the headlining.  These are an after market copy of the b-pillar ambient lights you find in a BMW Mini. This is a daytime picture but the effect is much better at night.

Attached File  IMG_20190422_202059.jpg   31.65K   1 downloads

Edited by mattj99, 05 June 2019 - 03:53 PM.

#26 Albino_Hedgehog

Albino_Hedgehog

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Local Club: Solihull Mini Classic Club

Posted 09 June 2019 - 04:00 PM

Eagerly awaiting night time pictures!!

#27 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:50 PM

First up is the map light - this is from a BMW Mini. There are two standard bulbs, both light up when you open the doors. When the doors are closed you can turn either of them on individually. There are also two orange LEDs which come on with the sidelights. This creates a nice ambient glow over the gear stick area.

Looks like you had to bring down the headliner for that though, right? I do like it though, and always liked those kinds of lights in modern cars now. Nissa has one with a dull red light that doesn't affect your night vision but allows you to see the center console.

#28 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:21 AM

I'm quite fond of my underglow :)

It is indeed an underglow to be pround of.

It's very nice.  I have a plan to do similar, but with red to the rear linked to the brake light, left and right side orange and linked to the indicators.  Haven't had time to find some decent LEDs for it yet though....

#29 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:47 PM

I'm quite fond of my underglow :)

It is indeed an underglow to be pround of.

It's very nice.  I have a plan to do similar, but with red to the rear linked to the brake light, left and right side orange and linked to the indicators.  Haven't had time to find some decent LEDs for it yet though....

That's a great idea! 

#30 mattj99

mattj99

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:24 PM

First up is the map light - this is from a BMW Mini. There are two standard bulbs, both light up when you open the doors. When the doors are closed you can turn either of them on individually. There are also two orange LEDs which come on with the sidelights. This creates a nice ambient glow over the gear stick area.

Looks like you had to bring down the headliner for that though, right? I do like it though, and always liked those kinds of lights in modern cars now. Nissa has one with a dull red light that doesn't affect your night vision but allows you to see the center console.

No the headlining is at the normal height. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users