Sprok

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:39 PM

Guys
Seeking some help here with a verto clutch

Ive rebuilt the car - engine out - new verto clutch.

Fitted all back together and bleed the hydraulic slave.

Im having a thick moment im sure but the pedal is rock solid now and wont depress. Checked the release arm and its fully down (away from clutch)
I dont have a spring like i was used to that returns the slave arm back into the slave ? Am i missing a spring or is the verto designed to spring back itself?? Im so close but so far from finishing this car !!

Hope someone can help

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:09 PM

If the pedal is solid it could be the thrust bearing is on the wrong way

#3 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:28 PM

Clutch throw out adjusted to 6.5mm?

#4 Sprok

Sprok

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:49 PM

Pedal depressed freely until i added fluid and bleed system.

What forces the piston back into the slave ? Older ones was spring i think. This doesnt go back in unless youbpush it by hand

#5 Sprok

Sprok

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:36 PM

Surely foot off the pedal the end of the throw out stop should spring outwards ? Then when you press the pedal it pushes it back in ? Mine seems the opposite way?? Ie at rest the plunger from the slave is fully extended and the throw out stop rests against the casing. Nothing is pushing it back out ?? Any help greatly appreciated im trying to sort it today begire work tomorrow
Thanks guys

#6 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:58 PM

..did you refit the pressure plate top hat ?

#7 Sprok

Sprok

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

With a new one yeh

#8 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:32 PM

to answer your question above, there's no return spring on a verto clutch arm, the fingers of the clutch diaphram should push the clutch arm back to it's rest position

if it's not returning by itself, yet can be moved to its rest position by hand, then it seems likely that either the plunger is not in contact with the diaphragm or the problem lies with the diaphragm itself

did you note cal844's comment above about the release bearing being on backwards ?

does the clutch actually disengage ? 

some photos to show what we're looking at would be useful

#9 Sprok

Sprok

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:44 PM

I use a mobile phone and everytime i upload photos it says the file is too big. Im hopeless with tech.

I dont know. Its like theres something missing

#10 Sprok

Sprok

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:21 PM

The clutch is always disengaged as the piston is fully out but im not sure how because you cant change gears ?! I guess the only way to check release bearing is to take it all apart !! Omg

Edited by Sprok, 12 May 2019 - 06:24 PM.

#11 Sprok

Sprok

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:45 PM

Hopefully im posting 3 photos
1 before and 2 after changing over

Attached Files

#12 Sprok

Sprok

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:02 PM

The only thing i can think of that may or may not have an impact is i changed the clutch housing / end cover. Some of the bolt holes were broken on my old one so i bought a replacement from ebay ? Looked the same although it had a rubber plug at the end of the starter motor housing ? Everything else looked the same ??? Hope someone can help

#13 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:12 PM

The clutch is always disengaged as the piston is fully out but im not sure how because you cant change gears ?! I guess the only way to check release bearing is to take it all apart !! Omg

..you just need to take the clutch cover (wok) off to get to the release bearing

The only thing i can think of that may or may not have an impact is i changed the clutch housing / end cover. Some of the bolt holes were broken on my old one so i bought a replacement from ebay ? Looked the same although it had a rubber plug at the end of the starter motor housing ? Everything else looked the same ??? Hope someone can help

i'm pretty sure the clutch covers are the same for both clutch types

if everything is operating correctly you should only be able to move the clutch arm a small amount from it's resting position before the release bearing on the end of the main plunger contacts the top of the top-hat and starts trying to depress the diaphragm fingers - how much movement do you get out of your clutch arm before you feel any resistance ? 

Edit :  in the top photo it looks like you've got two clutch sleeves and one is taller than the other ?  ..or is it just the way the photo's been taken..

Edited by KTS, 12 May 2019 - 07:15 PM.

#14 Sprok

Sprok

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

Pretty sure both hat covers were the same

The piston that comes out of the slave is fully out so the end stop nuts are flush with the end of the wok (in)
I can move the piston back into the slave which then allows the end nuts to come away from the end of the wok !

If i let go it moves back in.

Something should be pushing those nuts and the shaft outwards when the pedal is released no ?? But it doesnt

#15 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:08 PM

Sounds like the verto slave cylinder is spring loaded to hold the release bearing against the clutch sleeve/top. Pushing the pedal down will operates the clutch diaphragm. Releasing the pedal removes the pressure on the clutch diaphragm allowing the clutch sleeve to return to its resting position

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users