19 replies to this topic

#1 stumpy75

stumpy75

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:40 PM

Is it worth using its going on a deseamed mini so a little cutting at the joining/moumting lip will be needed if that helps the situation at all its the profile of the windscreen rubber/screen lip thats the important part and how high up the pillars is the pattern compared against the heritage

Edited by stumpy75, 13 May 2019 - 06:56 PM.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:52 PM

No, its not worth the hassle of trying to make it fit. There is a reason why all of the seasoned welders on here say go for Heritage. They are that bad.

#3 Junior Mini

Junior Mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:56 PM

I think Sonikk meant to to say "its NOT worth the hassle". As he has rightly said there a mare to get right(ish).

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:01 PM

I think Sonikk meant to to say "its NOT worth the hassle". As he has rightly said there a mare to get right(ish).

Yup my bad, need to proof read before posting.

#5 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:13 PM

Magnum scuttle panels are simply awful.

The profile that steps out from the top dash rail joint and down to the horizontal portion of the panel has virtually no definition compared to a Heritage panel. It looks like a good panel that’s had 15 coats of paint put on and lost all the detail.

I’d always go for a Heritage scuttle. It’s just not worth fitting a panel as poor as the Magnum one.

Edited by Tupers, 13 May 2019 - 09:14 PM.

#6 stumpy75

stumpy75

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:16 PM

Fair comment i just wasnt sure because its going to be trimmed where the bad fitment area was being its all over decision made

#7 stumpy75

stumpy75

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:16 PM

Bought a heritage scuttle broke my heart paying that money £145 for what it is but with such a complex panel no option while there i compared a magnum and genuine panel side by side and so much of a difference by eye and by tape
So the plan is to fit the scuttle set it at 413mm windscreen aperature gap tack in place the make a new topwdash rail and lip to connebt that to the scuttle remove the scuttle and complete the bulkhead box bfore final fitting the scuttle

Edited by stumpy75, 14 May 2019 - 08:19 PM.

#8 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:21 PM

Does this go for all Magnum panels?

#9 Mikey205

Mikey205

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Local Club: Midlands

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:27 PM

Does this go for all Magnum panels?

The majority are utter crap, door steps for one, ask me how I know......Need a lot of fettling work to make good.
The only magnum panel I used on mine, other than a step repair panel, was the front panel. General consensus is that they are ok. Mine certainly fitted ok with only a minor trim of where it met the wings required.

#10 stumpy75

stumpy75

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:37 PM

My doorsteps were awful

#11 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:37 AM

Door steps are utter utter rubbish. Some other panels will fit bit take more work for example rear quarter panels, wings can be a pain. Bonnets are another item I would not buy pattern ever again.

#12 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for the head up. I will need quite a few panels over the next months (years). Is there one supplier worth using for the majority of panels then, in you opinions. I know Minispares and Minisport do a wide range.

#13 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for the head up. I will need quite a few panels over the next months (years). Is there one supplier worth using for the majority of panels then, in you opinions. I know Minispares and Minisport do a wide range.

As you know for a fiver you can become a TMF+ member which gets you 7.5% discount @ Minispares and various discount amounts at M Machine.

I always use Minispares and M Machine myself for all of my panel requirements. A lot of panels equals a lot of discount so worth considering if you have a lot to change.

#14 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:14 PM

It’s worth noting that there are only three main manufacturers of replacement panels for classic Minis.
Those being Heritage, M-Machine and Magnum.

Virtually all retailers of classic Mini parts stock all three manufacturers panels but might not state who they’re made by.
It’s always worth asking before you order to avoid disappointment.

#15 stumpy75

stumpy75

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:30 AM

Ive been using bulmotif spares their service is 100% and postage is free if you mark it as 2_3 days ive always had them next day if ordered early enough the day before

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users