12 replies to this topic

#1 Fastorq

Fastorq

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:02 AM

Can I fit 10” wheels over 8.4” discs if I space the wheel?

Edited by Fastorq, 17 May 2019 - 05:21 PM.

#2 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:16 AM

Depends on the ET profile of the wheels, its more the caliper you might struggle to clear. 

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:32 AM

don't bother. you end up with a crap car in many ways.

don't even think about taking the grinder to the caliper as the bit you need to remove are needed to keep the integrity of the transfer ports.

#4 TRP

TRP

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:52 AM

I have 10" wheels over 7.4 discs. No problems. No grinder necessary. It just depends on the wheel and offset.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:02 AM

The 7.5" Discs (I assume these are the ones you mean?) were designed and fitted inside the original 10" Cooper S wheels. These were a little different in their design to the mundane Mini Wheels of the era and I think some small changes were made to these to clear the calipers. The (initially optional) 10 x 4.5" Cooper S and all subsequent wheels clear without any issues. 

Some of the earlier 10 x 3.5" wheels do foul though.

If it's the 8.4" discs to which you are referring, they won't fit in any 10" wheel.

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:49 PM

I think the OP means 8.4" discs, in which case a 10" wheel will not fit. The idea of very thick spacers is not a good one because the wheels would really stick out, the suspension geometry would be badly out, there would be high cantilever loads on the wheel bearings and the very long studs would be under excessive loads.

If 10" wheels are desired, fit the correct discs and callipers.

#7 Fastorq

Fastorq

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:22 PM   Best Answer

Yes, 8.4”
Excuse my fat fingers .

#8 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:09 PM

The PCD, if you can call it that, of a set of alloy 8.4" calipers, will fit inside a 10" rim.

At least 5 years ago at Curborough, I noticed a chap changing the wheels on his Mini.

They were 10", but like no others that I had seen, so I stopped to chat.

Apparently, he had taken the center out of a 13"  A40, cut it down and welded it into a widened S rim, in such a way that the well of the wheel was outside the center.

This gave him a clear 9.75" tube (allowing 1/8" wall thickness of the rim) that he had calculated would give his 10" wheel, sufficient room for the caliper.

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,935 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:54 PM

The PCD, if you can call it that, of a set of alloy 8.4" calipers, will fit inside a 10" rim.

At least 5 years ago at Curborough, I noticed a chap changing the wheels on his Mini.

They were 10", but like no others that I had seen, so I stopped to chat.

Apparently, he had taken the center out of a 13"  A40, cut it down and welded it into a widened S rim, in such a way that the well of the wheel was outside the center.

This gave him a clear 9.75" tube (allowing 1/8" wall thickness of the rim) that he had calculated would give his 10" wheel, sufficient room for the caliper.

Oh they'd be such a joy to change the tyres on ! (not!!)

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:05 PM

For the cost of a set of callipers for 7.5" discs (from Mini Spares) a pair of 7.5" discs and a pair of drive flanges, it is really not worth messing about trying to get 10" wheels to fit 8.4" discs. We are talking about the braking system here so take no chances. Accurate steering geometry is what you get bt doing it properly together with the right brakes for the wheels.

In fact I am in the process of doing exactly that modification on a 1990 Cooper at this time and will be fitting 4.5" x 10" Minilites with no wheel arch extensions.

#11 Fastorq

Fastorq

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:33 PM

For the cost of a set of callipers for 7.5" discs (from Mini Spares) a pair of 7.5" discs and a pair of drive flanges, it is really not worth messing about trying to get 10" wheels to fit 8.4" discs. We are talking about the braking system here so take no chances. Accurate steering geometry is what you get bt doing it properly together with the right brakes for the wheels.
In fact I am in the process of doing exactly that modification on a 1990 Cooper at this time and will be fitting 4.5" x 10" Minilites with no wheel arch extensions.

Is the drive flange bolt hole spacing different on 7.5” and 8.4” calipers.

#12 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,935 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:40 PM

Is the drive flange bolt hole spacing different on 7.5” and 8.4” calipers.

Yes. The 7.5" and 8.4" use quite different drive flanges.

#13 Fastorq

Fastorq

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:20 PM

Looks like I’ll have to sell another body part then

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users