5 replies to this topic

#1 CG1098

CG1098

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

I'm not sure if this is the way things are supposed to be or if there's something strange going on with my front suspension... I've been removing the swivel hubs to replace ball joints, on the passenger side it was easy to remove, no problems. On the drivers side it seems like the bottom arm won't drop as low down as on the passenger side, making the hub pretty hard to get out. Managed it in the end after prying up the top arm to get enough room to remove it, but I'm wondering now if there's something wrong with the bottom arm as it won't drop as low as the other side? Is this some sort of strange mini design feature?

#2 bikewiz

bikewiz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Local Club: NEMO

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:45 PM

Are both of the rubber stops still there?http://minispares.co...px|Back to shop

If one is missing the suspension will drop further on one side than the one with the stop in place.

#3 CG1098

CG1098

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:53 PM

Both sides have the stops in place, but those are for the top arms. Is there supposed to be a similar stop for the bottoms?

#4 bikewiz

bikewiz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Local Club: NEMO

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:10 PM

Both sides have the stops in place, but those are for the top arms. Is there supposed to be a similar stop for the bottoms?

No there isn't a stop for the lower arm but if someone jacked the car up near the lower arm pivot sometimes the subframe is bent near the lower arm preventing it from dropping. I posted the upper stop because if one is missing everything drops further, if they're present it holds it up a little. The way I usually do it is a block of wood under the pad on the jack and lift the hub up.

#5 CG1098

CG1098

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:20 PM

I know where you mean, so if it is bent underneath the bottom arm can I gently persuade (bash) it back into place or is the subframe screwed?

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:26 PM

The Drive Shaft on the Driver's side is longer and so that restricts how far the hub can drop as the Shaft bottoms out in the window of the subframe.

That's all pretty normal and in fact that you had to lift the top arm to be able to get the ball joint pin out shows that your rubber cones are in good order.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users