#1 Unmutual

Unmutual

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local Club: Market Drayton

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:40 PM

Hey folks, looking for a suggestion or two... The spi engine in my mini has a rattle, but it’s not constant. It’s not noticeable at idle, but does appear sometimes around the 2500rpm mark. If I then press the accelerator harder, the rattle stops until I lift off and cruise. If I stop accelerating altogether, the noise stops... The car doesn’t seem to be down on power... Any ideas?

#2 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:20 PM

Check your valve clearances.

It's a tic-a-tac-a-tic-a-tac-a noise if they're loose.

Edited by Wiggy, 18 May 2019 - 09:23 PM.

#3 dan1zo

dan1zo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

It could be something simple. Mine did something similar and it turned out that the bonnet prop was rattling once the engine hit a certain frequency.

Just put  bit of rubber around it.

Something to check if it sounds like metal on metal.

#4 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:42 AM

Honestly, I’ve come to the realization that all classic minis “have a rattle”. It can come anywhere. Engine bay, interior, you name it. Currently, mine drivers door rattles at idle, as does my drivers headrest. I have different rattles when the car gets “on song”. Try as I might, some I’ve simply boiled down to par for the course and have noticed that if you drive With the windows down, you can tolerate a hell of a lot more...and this is coming from someone who is hell bent on making his mini cram from average. I’d, one of the few that doesn’t leave a mark every time it parks up and can sit in traffic without spontaneously combusting. There are battles you will always have to fight in a mini...and some
You will have to give into slightly. That said, you might completely overcome this, just don’t hold your poor mini to it if you don’t :-/

#5 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:12 PM

I've had the bonnet prop and exhaust clamp (didnt rattle all of the time) come loose before also. Start it up with the bonnet open and see if it makes the noise at 2.5k (once warm).

I believe some also had heat shields fitted (maybe just the MPI?) so might be that (if its got one)?

#6 hungdynasty

hungdynasty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:41 PM

You sure the rattle comes from the engine? I had rattle a year ago and it was the catalytic converter after my JDM coil failed and gasoline went straight to the cat and damaged it.

#7 Alpenflitzer

Alpenflitzer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:10 PM

Without knowing exactly how the rattle sound there is only one thing to check details in the engine bay. I started out to control major bolts and nuts  such as donuts in front where maybe the shims are missing, Engine steadies rubbers and metal tubes inside the rubbers, radiator, horn, relais and so on.

I had a terrible time to find it,

If you can hear it when the engine idles you shoul find it listening to the engine with an open bonnet.

Edited by Alpenflitzer, 29 May 2019 - 05:12 PM.

#8 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:36 PM

Does it happen only at certain RPMs? If so, will it make it parked up with the car revving to that RPM? Get a length of tube and hold it to your ear and start poking around in the engine bay. Really helps isolate noises. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users