16 replies to this topic

#1 Kevinmini

Kevinmini

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:01 PM

Hi is there a link for full information on changing 13” sportspack wheels to 10” wheels? Brakes / hubs etc

Love the look of the sportspack wheels but I’m not sure if I’m going to keep it original now as looking for a much better drive / less harsh ride and everything needs replacing anyway.

Rebuild on its way but getting as much in place ready as I can

Thanks

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:09 PM

most of the retailers do kits. you need calipers, discs, drive flanges plus what ever needs replacing.

join TMF+ and get 7.5% off your orders at Minispares.

#3 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:22 PM

You’ll struggle to fill the arches with 10’s with sportpack arches, I ended up lowering to get the look right, this made the ride crap as the suspension travel was limited, so I raised it again and kind of compromised on ride, handling and filling the arches. There should be some pics of mine old sportspack in the 10” wheel thread.

#4 Kevinmini

Kevinmini

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:24 PM

Has anyone driven a mini on both sizes? Any pros / cons? Thanks

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:06 PM

Some useful info on Mini wheels and tyres here:-

https://www.calverst...-consideration/

and here:-

http://www.theminifo...heel-hate-guys/

#6 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:40 AM

yes, 10's feel a lot better, doesn't tram line like the 13's can, more responsive, 10's make 13's feel heavy

#7 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:05 AM

How about 12"?
They bolt straight on using existing hubs and brakes and a 165/60/12 is nearly the same diameter as a 175/50/13 so no change to speedo drive or suspension adjustment required. Plus the extra sidewall gives a more comfortable ride.

Might be worth seeing if you can borrow a set to see if they improve the ride before you dismiss them.

#8 Kevinmini

Kevinmini

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:35 PM

How about 12"?
They bolt straight on using existing hubs and brakes and a 165/60/12 is nearly the same diameter as a 175/50/13 so no change to speedo drive or suspension adjustment required. Plus the extra sidewall gives a more comfortable ride.

Might be worth seeing if you can borrow a set to see if they improve the ride before you dismiss them.

I have had 12" wheels on my previous 2 minis and I admit they handled very so this is a possible option but I much prefer the 10" wheels visually.

Having only had my current mini on the road for a short time the handling and driving on the motorway was beyond sketchy but this is also due to bearings and ball joints hence why it is waiting on a overhaul

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:13 PM

A short while ago I had the pleasure of driving an MPI with 145 section tyres on 4.5" x 12" wheels in the wet. The handling and road holding were fine and it really felt like a Mini should.

IMHO there is too much emphasis on wide wheels and wider tyres, but they do not enhance the overall performance. True, they may give slightly better ultimate road-holding on a very smooth and dry road, but on bumpy roads and in the wet, a narrow tyre is better for both road-holding, handling and braking.

#10 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:47 PM

There's a reason  why Caterhams don't go stupidly wide......all about the handling! I have just bought some narrower wheels for my kit car. Just need to decide on tyre profile. 13 x 7j

#11 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:04 PM

With narrower wheels and no wheel arch extensions there is less aerodynamic drag so the top speed will be higher and the fuel consumption will be lower.

#12 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:02 AM

There's a lot of money and thought goes into why F1 cars don't run low profile tyres ...

#13 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:14 AM

There's a lot of money and thought goes into why F1 cars don't run low profile tyres ...

To get the best performance from a radial tyre, the sidewall needs to flex whilst the tread stays as flat as possible on the road. The current 'fad' for ultra-low-profile tyres is just a styling gimmick.

My daily road car has 275/40 x 19 tyres on the back and 245/45/19 on the front. Frankly, they are ridiculous. I would be much happier with a 235/70 x 17 tyre, but the car is not type-approved for this, so I can't.

#14 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:26 AM

To get the best performance from a radial tyre, the sidewall needs to flex whilst the tread stays as flat as possible on the road. The current 'fad' for ultra-low-profile tyres is just a styling gimmick.
My daily road car has 275/40 x 19 tyres on the back and 245/45/19 on the front. Frankly, they are ridiculous. I would be much happier with a 235/70 x 17 tyre, but the car is not type-approved for this, so I can't.

Same widths as my daily but mine are 18”, the 19” was a option but with runflat tyres the ride would be unacceptable.

#15 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:34 AM

rules and regulations. BUT they are changing in the next years to more represent modern car styles. expect tyre issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users