#1 Dalek

Dalek

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:15 AM

Hello !  :-)
My first post on here, been a lurker for a bit.

I need to remove the flywheel, the clutch cover has the shorter clutch arm if that aids identification ? It's a 998cc

So i bought the draper flywheel removal tool that suits both types of clutch and then found out that one of the threads in the flywheel, of 3, that the tool uses is stripped :-( The tool came with 6 bolts, 3 had a course thread and 3 have a finer thread that fits my flywheel i am assuming are imperial, can somebody Pease confirm if this thread is 3/8 unf please ?

In order to remove the flywheel i need to repair this thread, i could either get a helicoil kits that's the original size, 3/8 unf if that's the correct size or i could go up to an M12 in metric?

Looking for some advice on which way to go please ?

I've found a helicoil kit here, https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B00EO4NYME  maybe somewhere else is cheaper but i need to find out how i should be doing this first.

Hope somebody can help !

Craig

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:00 AM

which of your bolts fitted?

the finer thread is the UNF the course is the Metric. it should be the metric ones.

#3 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:39 AM

as above, although I thought the verto was UNC

Also in the past when I have had threads strip I have drilled and tapped to a larger size,

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:40 AM

Presumably the engine is still in the car ?

Before "newfangled" pullers were around, we removed the grill, dizzy cap and starter.  With 70mm of 20mm steel bar slung from the front of the car, poked through the starter hole against the flywheel, we hit them off with a sledge hammer.  (The crank can safely be rotated through 75 degrees either side of upright without fear of the C washer dislodging)

Great care is needed to make sure that the new thread is made at 90 degrees to the face of the flywheel.  (This is more easily done with the flywheel on the bench)

Inspect the other two threads, and if they are OK, don't touch them.

As you have mused, it would be cheaper to buy a larger high tensile bolt and a tap than a helicoil kit.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:47 AM

as above, although I thought the verto was UNC

Also in the past when I have had threads strip I have drilled and tapped to a larger size,

nah.

M10

http://www.guess-wor...play.htm?id=538

#6 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:57 AM

I really should know that as I use verto flywheels!

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:58 AM

I need to remove the flywheel, the clutch cover has the shorter clutch arm if that aids identification ? It's a 998cc

So i bought the draper flywheel removal tool that suits both types of clutch and then found out that one of the threads in the flywheel, of 3, that the tool uses is stripped :-( The tool came with 6 bolts, 3 had a course thread and 3 have a finer thread that fits my flywheel i am assuming are imperial, can somebody Pease confirm if this thread is 3/8 unf please ?

In order to remove the flywheel i need to repair this thread, i could either get a helicoil kits that's the original size, 3/8 unf if that's the correct size or i could go up to an M12 in metric?

I've found a helicoil kit here, https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B00EO4NYME  maybe somewhere else is cheaper but i need to find out how i should be doing this first.

Hope somebody can help !

Craig

Helicoils don't really work where the hole goes through the material;  they work best if they are inserted in blind hole.

#8 dotmatrix

dotmatrix

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:13 AM

several times we have cut a larger diameter thread in the hole without thread and just used a larger bolt. this can be done while the flywheel is still in the car. when the flywheel is off you can change the part with the three threads in it. new ones are available from minispares.

#9 Dalek

Dalek

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:06 PM

Hope somebody can help !

Craig

Helicoils don't really work where the hole goes through the material;  they work best if they are inserted in blind hole.

Just spotted this and had a thought, do you think there would be any way to get a nut on behind the threaded hole that is knackered ?

Craig

#10 Dalek

Dalek

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:09 PM

The engine is out of the car, i should have said earlier.

Thanks for all of the replies guys, much appreciated :highfive:

The engine could be a bit of a mongrel, i take it you can mix and match verto and non verto flywheels ? I know the block is an A+ going on the extra webbing on the front.

Craig

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:21 PM

The engine is out of the car, i should have said earlier.

Thanks for all of the replies guys, much appreciated :highfive:

The engine could be a bit of a mongrel, i take it you can mix and match verto and non verto flywheels ? I know the block is an A+ going on the extra webbing on the front.

Craig

mix and match to a degree. but not all part work well together,

that is to say you need all the verto parts upto the slave (the mater is the same) for it to work well. but it can go on any power unit.

#12 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:59 PM

Hope somebody can help !

Craig

Just spotted this and had a thought,

do you think there would be any way to get a nut on behind the threaded hole that is knackered ?

Craig

Getting a spanner on to it would be the problem, even if you could train Army Ants to carry the nut in there.

#13 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:18 PM

The best thing will be to drill and tap to a larger size and use a correct size and length HIGH-TENSILE steel bolt to replace the original.

A pre-Verto flywheel & clutch assembly is generally recognised as being better than the Verto and it is an easy replacement so long as the starter ring is changed to match the inertial starter motor, or the starter motor is changed to the inertia type and a remove starter solenoid is fitted, together with the longer arm and different slave cylinder.

#14 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:07 PM

When ever I've had stripped threads in flywheels, I've just drilled and tapped a set of new holes. I think it's a waste of helicoils to fit them in the old holes.

#15 Dalek

Dalek

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for all of your help so far guys.

Must be something weird with my car as the flywheel was a unf thread instead of an m10 and it is a verto.

So first problem was a stripped thread i came across when i started to do this, i fitted  helicoil to this, in fact I've ended up fitting helicoils to all three of them.

So I've tried a draper flywheel puller, its not man enough. I phoned guessworks and bought "the" gearpuller off John, it's great but... one thread/helicoil however won't hold and is pulled through. Not sure what to do next as i am now limited by how big a bolt i can fit through the guessworks puller, no I'm not drilling the hole in new puller bigger...

Cutting the flywheel off i don't think is an option as i would have to destroy the clutch to do this.

Totally fed up now  :-(

HELP !!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users