• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:25 AM

You might need to get a stepped high-tensile bolt machined by a local machine shop.

First of all drill and tap the flywheel hole to the next possible size up. Get a long high-tensile bolt and machine the other end to fit John's puller. Don't have a sudden 'step' in the bolt, have it machined down with a taper to avoid a sudden change in cross-sectional area. On the end through the puller make sure the threaded length is sufficient to retain it with good thread engagement using two nuts.

Best thing is to fit a pre-Verto flywheel/clutch when re-building.

#17 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for all of your help so far guys.

Must be something weird with my car as the flywheel was a unf thread instead of an m10 and it is a verto.

So first problem was a stripped thread i came across when i started to do this, i fitted  helicoil to this, in fact I've ended up fitting helicoils to all three of them.

So I've tried a draper flywheel puller, its not man enough. I phoned guessworks and bought "the" gearpuller off John, it's great but... one thread/helicoil however won't hold and is pulled through. Not sure what to do next as i am now limited by how big a bolt i can fit through the guessworks puller, no I'm not drilling the hole in new puller bigger...

Cutting the flywheel off i don't think is an option as i would have to destroy the clutch to do this.

Totally fed up now  :-(

HELP !!!

I have tried to send the details of an engine and gear box in Nottingham that is on ebay, because your situation shows that every Mini owner should have a spare.

#18 Dalek

Dalek

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:13 AM

I have been thinking about how to do this with and came up with the following since i don't have a machine shop nearby, unlimited taps, oversize bolts or anything like that .

DSC_00882.jpg

So on the clutch cover there are 9 large rivet heads seen on the left one on the pic above, (picture nicked from the internet, not mine)

i was thinking about grinding them off and this "should" let me get the clutch/flywheel off leaving the pulley still on the crank?

The pulley being the part that has the stripped threads. It also has other holes in it that i could then bolt to the puller to remove it.

DSC_00042.jpg

I could remove the bolts from this flange and use these to pull the flange off ? (picture nicked from the internet, not mine)

What do you think ?

Craig

#19 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:56 AM

I have been thinking about how to do this with and came up with the following since i don't have a machine shop nearby, unlimited taps, oversize bolts or anything like that .

DSC_00882.jpg

So on the clutch cover there are 9 large rivet heads seen on the left one on the pic above, (picture nicked from the internet, not mine)

i was thinking about grinding them off and this "should" let me get the clutch/flywheel off leaving the pulley still on the crank?

The pulley being the part that has the stripped threads. It also has other holes in it that i could then bolt to the puller to remove it.

DSC_00042.jpg

I could remove the bolts from this flange and use these to pull the flange off ? (picture nicked from the internet, not mine)

What do you think ?

Craig

Did you try hitting it off through the starter hole ?

#20 Dalek

Dalek

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:10 AM

Yes, but i don't want to damage the engine so thought this would be a better way. Hitting it through the starter hole would be hitting it off squint though, wouldn't that just make it worse ?

#21 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:11 PM

Yes, but i don't want to damage the engine so thought this would be a better way. Hitting it through the starter hole would be hitting it off squint though, wouldn't that just make it worse ?

I have only had success hitting it through the starter hole when it was already under strong tension from a correctly fitted puller, and then only with pre-Verto flywheels.  I have once also damaged the transfer casing when I accidently hit it with the large hammer I was using!

#22 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:51 PM

DSC_00882.jpg

DSC_00042.jpg

What do you think ?

Craig

The last monkey who changed the clutch many years ago on the wife's old mini used this method, took a chunk of aluminium out of the transfer case and damaged the flywheel so badly the engine had a bad vibration.

Only picked this up whilst doing a full rebuild at the moment. Might also explain why the main crank bearing closest to the flywheel was also scored.

#23 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

Also a risk of bending the crank tail slightly.
It’s not something I would EVER try or recommend. I’d be in with the angle grinder first.

#24 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:41 PM

I don't think you'd get at the flange bolts with it still on the crank.  I'm with Cooperman that you're best repairing the existing holes. Getting rid off the clutch spring plate might give you a clearer path, maybe to get a a larger diameter HT screw in: centre drilled & tapped to fit the puller bolts.

I did wonder if you could align the stripped attachment with the starter hole a clamp the puller to the flywheel through it somehow - wouldn't fancy your chances of doing it well enough.

My other brain fart was modding your old puller to ride shotgun on the new puller so you can avoid making oversize holes in the new toy.

Less of a brain fart is making 3 new holes in the flange, but that'd need a pillar drill or better to even stand half a chance of being accurate enough.

#25 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:33 PM

I have only had success hitting it through the starter hole when it was already under strong tension from a correctly fitted puller, and then only with pre-Verto flywheels.  I have once also damaged the transfer casing when I accidently hit it with the large hammer I was using!

It's no good hitting it with a hammer, it needs a 14lb sledge and a  3/4"  bar that gets beyond the radiator, and the engine wedged so that doesn't move, and part of the full force of the blows are lost.

If you have an immovable object and an irresistible force, something in the middle has to give.

At least if the flywheel comes off, damaged, ( and it is no longer perfect ) the engine can be stripped.  So far it has cost quite a lot, and there is nothing to show for it.

#26 Dalek

Dalek

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:56 PM

Well i introduced the flywheel and clutch to my angle grinder last night, i can now gain access to the mounting flange after cutting all that off and hopefully will be attaching the  guessworks puller to the flange later on tonight, i will post back how i get on.

How do i upload pictures to this forum ? Any way without hosting by photobucket etc ?

Craig

#27 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:59 PM

There's not much storage on our servers. I think Imgur is what most use now.

#28 Dalek

Dalek

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:45 PM

Ok, so now iv'e got the Guessworks puller bolted onto the flange using high tensile 12.9 M10 nuts and bolts and it still won't come off !

Tried air powered impact gun and a big hammer as per instructions.

Kinda at a loss here :bah:

What else can i try?

#29 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:48 PM

just leave it on wound up tight and wind it up some more in the morning. and at lunch and at tea until it goes pop.

#30 Dalek

Dalek

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:04 PM

just leave it on wound up tight and wind it up some more in the morning. and at lunch and at tea until it goes pop.

Ok i forgot to say i have actually left it on, i will wind it up again tomorrow night.

Here's hoping !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users