Photo
- - - - -

Twin Hs2 Twoubles

Best Answer Spider , 22 May 2019 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for the very kind words.

Thanks also to imack for answering your last - I've had a bit of a busy day !

I wouldn't worry to much about setting them to the nth degree on the bench. Once you fit them, get the car running and come around to tuning them, one of the items you'll be doing here is balancing the carbs, which does involve slackening on of the clamp nuts again. I've never worried about setting this gap (as in that drawing) in any precision way, just making sure there's been a small gap - with the idle screws backed right off -  and that you can get full throttle.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:10 AM

Rightyo chaps.... thanks to this forum and a few posts on here I gave the rebuild of my twin carbs a go.

Everything seems to be in order now apart from the main reason I did the rebuild... the main accelerator bracket was from a different vehicle and making the mini very sporadic when accelerating and pretty dangerous when trying to slow down.

Just hving a dry run now everything with the carbs are back together to make sure everything is as should be but I’m Not sure if I have one of the bracket the wrong way up.

With the accelerator cable connected as it would be if fitted in the vehicle I can’t open the butterfly’s fully... with no cable connected I can open them a full 90degrees, which means no full throttle when I’ve put them all back in the car and connected the throttle cable.

I’ll upload some pics and any help would be greatly appreciated. Hate to put it all back together only then to find out I’ve done something silly.

As always thanks in advance.
Any more info please ask.

#2 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:19 AM

Is it like this?
1Vjmh0M.jpg

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:29 AM

The Main Throttle Shaft between the Carbs is in up-side down.

EHwelfm.jpg

You can delete the spring from the linkage to the airfilter case

#4 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:49 PM

Mike spider... for some reason the photo didn’t upload with my post.

Your picture clears up what the “indent” in the bracket is for but I think my throttle bracket looks correct? Any reason I can’t open the butterfly’s to a full 90 degrees with the throttle cable, but with the cable disconnected and using my hand on the bracket circled the butterfly’s can be opened.

Thanks.

Attached Files

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,843 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:45 PM

OK gotya.

The Linkage between the Carbs hasn't been set to the right angle when in the Idle position. It's easy to adjust (especially off car - just bolt them up to another head on the bench first). There's a nut on the clamps on each carb. If you slacken them, you can move the shaft around to the angle it needs to be at.

Here's a drawing, it's not the best, but shows them at an idle position. The feeler here is 0.012" but don't fret over getting this clearance that precision. Just a gap around 1/2 to 1 mm will be fine.

uLtKyH0.jpg

#6 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:15 PM

Ok, so the angle is incorrect as I suspected, I am confused where the feeler gauge is measuring between...

The throttle cable end of the bracket/linkage needs to be closer “up” towards the inlet manifold. So effectively (at the angle the picture has been taken) turning the “triangle” part clockwise?

I appreciate your help. As you say I want to get it done while off the car and easy to rectify.
Mark.

#7 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:23 AM

The 12 thou gap is between the throttle shaft linkage with the 'notch' and the choke linkage shaft.

#8 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:01 AM

Amazing. Thanks so much everyone.

Moke spider we are lucky to have you.

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,843 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:25 AM   Best Answer

Thanks for the very kind words.

Thanks also to imack for answering your last - I've had a bit of a busy day !

I wouldn't worry to much about setting them to the nth degree on the bench. Once you fit them, get the car running and come around to tuning them, one of the items you'll be doing here is balancing the carbs, which does involve slackening on of the clamp nuts again. I've never worried about setting this gap (as in that drawing) in any precision way, just making sure there's been a small gap - with the idle screws backed right off -  and that you can get full throttle.

#10 A-Cell

A-Cell

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:56 PM

Also note you are missing the centre throttle Spring. The correct set up requires 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users