6 replies to this topic

#1 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:22 PM

I'm sorting out some rust where it's not bad enough to need panel replacement and so far I'm working through the process as follows:

• Initially grind out as necessary
  • Treat with Deox Gel to dissolve what's left
  • Prime with Electrox
  • Body fill any imperfections
  • Prime (epoxy or ordinary primer?)
  • Top coat

I've always used fairly ordinary primer prior to top coat but I've seen mention of epoxy primer which I assume is tougher and more resistant to moisture penetration ... but what form does it come in? Is this supplied in aerosol form and if so any suggestions? I assume the epoxy primer is a single rather than 2-pack primer?

Stu.

#2 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:42 PM

grind out yes, you can use this type of thing as they are very good.

De ox gell, i asked on retro rides about this and everyone says its good but use hydrate 80 instead, you apply it and paint over it directly, its meant to be the best of the best.

The electrox is a high zinc primer, good but if your doing epoxy, then then that is what im using directly over bare steal. Its not porous, its very tough, but it is 2k. So you can either spray it on, brush it, or roller it, but be careful about the fumes.

this is what i have learnt doing my car so far asking people on forums like retro rides etc, dosnt mean its the way everyone does it.

edit the retro rides thread i started

Edited by Avtovaz, 21 May 2019 - 05:46 PM.

#3 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:35 AM

Hydrate 80 is a rust CONVERTER. It is supposed to convert rust to some other form of something or another.

I do not like rust converters. I have never found one that works longer than 6 months.

Stick to the deox C and deox gel which REMOVES all the rust, so no need to cover it up with a converter.

#4 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:51 AM

Whichever rust treatment has been used, is there not a disadvantage if I apply epoxy primer directly to the bare metal rather than the high zinc Electrox primer first? My understanding is that the zinc is sacrificial to the rust thereby preventing the underlying metal from rusting, epoxy primer surely would not perform this role on its own. I was intending to apply epoxy primer over the zinc coat to prevent any further moisture ingress?

#5 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:26 PM

I don't know how good ELECTROX is, but I have used a lot of different zinc primers and what I find is that once dry, you can very easily scratch it off with your finger nail. I wouldn't want that under my top coat.

Edited by pete l, 23 May 2019 - 01:27 PM.

#6 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 06 June 2019 - 04:56 AM

2K Epoxy you need nothing else in the way of primers. I think the idea is to seal the air from the rust, spray cans primers cant do that.

So Derust with your Fav rust remover, clean and Prime, job done.

Warning or tips hear alot of 2K has some very nasty Chemicals in them, most in the Hardner It can kill you over a short time, So carbon filter mask made to filter Isocyanat and other nastys when mixing useing and drying when your in the room.

other point spray is better than Brush. when you come to sand  brush marks are hard to get out.

#7 MiddletoM

MiddletoM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:03 PM

EM121 doesnt contain any isocyanates so you can paint it with a good mask. I did my cars underside a couple of weeks ago, very good stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users