#16 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:39 AM

Can you provide a close-up photo of the bits ?

Throw them away, very small metal flakes
About 0.02”

Good to hear that things now seem to be OK;  but I am surprised that 'bits' as small as that, jammed your valve cup.

Rorf gives good advice.  Fortunately, the A series engine will withstand a fair bit of abuse, so may I suggest that you fit an oil gauge as this will tell you how much pressure your pump is producing.

Some people like their Mini pressure relief valve to blow at 80 PSI, because, they reason, besides lubricating the bearings, the passing oil carries away a lot of heat, but ironically, that is just what is happening in a well worn engine with only 20 PSI, and amazingly, they hang on for years and outlast the body in damp, road-salted UK. Things are probably very different in your part of the world, but if you get the chance, buy a spare engine and do one up and have fun modifying the other.

#17 Shaked

Shaked

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 02:03 PM

The engine and gearbox rebuild 500 miles ago

How thorough was the engine rebuild.  Was the oil pressure release valve removed then?

To tell you the truth, I don’t remember as I’m not sure,
I washed the pickup strainer and cleaned everything with a clean paper towel, but maybe i didn’t do it properly
Anyway I’m going to drive with a car and check ( oil relief valve) again right after.
Also will check the magnet for any metal

#18 minizrock

minizrock

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Local Club: mini REBELS!

Posted 05 October 2022 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the suggestions in this feed. I had the same problem and managed to remove the old relief valve cap by threading a tap into it. Pulled straight out. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users