32 replies to this topic

#1 KRM_Simon

KRM_Simon

Previously known as 'bigsimonb'.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 11:54 AM

Welcome to my build! I have recently purchased a ‘77 1275GT, it has come as a shell and boxes and boxes of bits and a 1380 engine. I was told at the time of purchase that the previous owner had used it as a hillclimb car and the guy I bought it off was trying to convert it back to a standard road car. He had replaced a number of panels including the wings, rear valance and a couple of repairs here and there. From what I can tell there is either little left of the hillclimber underneath or I suspect it was in fact running in a fairly production standard class as the 1380 doesn’t seem that highly spec’d and there are no fancy bits in the supplied boxes.

Enough talk, pictures:
wUYSXAB.jpg
cztsmeM.jpg
uKVckx2.jpg
XIuGOix.jpg

I have a little bit of experience in rallying having competed in this ‘74 mini 1000 car on quite a few targa type events. I had intended upgrading this to stage spec and had started, but realised the cage wasnt suitable so if I was changing the cage I’d want to do some welding work etc etc so when the GT came up I decided I’d put the work into a car I wanted (I’ve had a clubman before but sold it to buy the mini 1000 to rally but prefer clubman) and could build from the ground up rather than rectifying other peoples bodge jobs.

zEipvej.jpg

I have read several of the build threads on here recently end to end mainly the ones on GTs and the motorsport orientated ones to pick up ideas as there are some great builds on here and listened to those more experienced than I, there is a wealth of knowledge on here. Therefore I ask only this: if I do something well, tell me, if I could do something a better way, a simpler way or I’ve overlooked something, tell me and if I’m doing something completely stupid tell me before it comes back to bite me.
The intention is a highly spec’d well thought out tarmac rally car build over the next 18 months or so.

Simon

Edited by KRM_Simon, 26 May 2019 - 01:15 PM.

#2 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:04 PM

It all looks in good order from the pictures - should be a quick build?

#3 KRM_Simon

KRM_Simon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:36 AM

The shell does seem fairly good yes, I’m likely to have to do a little bit in the passenger footwell, only a small hole. The shell will be dipped at some point so this will likely reveal a hidden surprise or two but again these should be small if they occur.
Like I say I’m hoping it will be about 18 months.

#4 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

looks good, its an early one, twin bolt subframe and gutter trims. Should be a nice car.

that micra, reg isnt .... ORN is it by chance?

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,929 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

I would not expect that engine build to be up to much from first looks.

#6 KRM_Simon

KRM_Simon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:50 AM

looks good, its an early one, twin bolt subframe and gutter trims. Should be a nice car.

It’s actually quite a late “crossover” like you say twin bolt subframe gutter trims but the rear seat belt mounts. Confused me to start with. A little bit of research appears a lot of ‘77 GTs are this setup where as a ‘75 round nose has the single bolt subframe and later gutters.

And no that’s not the micra you are thinking of.

No I didn’t expect much when I first saw it. Although it is an 11 stud head. I did start stripping it the other day but ran out of time, it is definitely a 1380, had a standard flywheel, standard drops, didn’t measure the valves or study the ports much, will do at some point but all I’m really expecting to find is a medium spec cam at most. The bores, piston tops drop gears clutch all appear in very good condition so suspect it has done very little since last rebuild.
The head might be useable if it hasn’t been skimmed too far subject to inspection for cracks. The block may not be much use barring going down the route of liners as I am allowed maximum +60 overbore. The gearbox again subject to inspection should be able to use the casing. Anything else I can use off it (crank maybe) is a bonus.
There is no immediate rush with the engine though I have just had a 1330 built for the white one so if I have nothing else sorted that will get swapped to the GT.
Yours is one of the build threads I have read with interest Nick keep up the good work!

Edited by KRM_Simon, 27 May 2019 - 10:53 AM.

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,929 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:28 AM

It’s actually quite a late “crossover” like you say twin bolt subframe gutter trims but the rear seat belt mounts. Confused me to start with. A little bit of research appears a lot of ‘77 GTs are this setup where as a ‘75 round nose has the single bolt subframe and later gutters.

And no that’s not the micra you are thinking of.

No I didn’t expect much when I first saw it. Although it is an 11 stud head. I did start stripping it the other day but ran out of time, it is definitely a 1380, had a standard flywheel, standard drops, didn’t measure the valves or study the ports much, will do at some point but all I’m really expecting to find is a medium spec cam at most. The bores, piston tops drop gears clutch all appear in very good condition so suspect it has done very little since last rebuild.
The head might be useable if it hasn’t been skimmed too far subject to inspection for cracks. The block may not be much use barring going down the route of liners as I am allowed maximum +60 overbore. The gearbox again subject to inspection should be able to use the casing. Anything else I can use off it (crank maybe) is a bonus.
There is no immediate rush with the engine though I have just had a 1330 built for the white one so if I have nothing else sorted that will get swapped to the GT.
Yours is one of the build threads I have read with interest Nick keep up the good work!

just to give you an idea why I say it will not be up to much.

vac advance on the dizzy. cant be much of a cam. may be upto something like a 276. 998 crank pully! not going to be doing much revs. and as we all know 11 stud means very little on its own. will be an interesting build from you.

#8 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:28 PM

Looks like this will be a nice build.

I will be watching this one, cant beat a tarmac rally spec mini :proud:

Edited by warning634, 29 May 2019 - 01:33 PM.

#9 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:18 PM

I'm really hoping that you realise that this isn't an original 1977 GT shell.

Oh so many reasons.... no GT plate welded to front crossmember, no holes for servo & it's bracket, bonnet stay bracket on wrong side, shouldn't have drip rails, shouldn't have welded rad surround, no boot bracket boards, pre-76 bonnet hinges, etc, etc.

https://classicregis...81-mini-1275-gt

#10 stumpy75

stumpy75

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:55 PM

Could have been modified repaired with wrong year panels for starters back in the day body wise
to be honest with the amount of cars shells that are carrying v5s not belonging to them that that so called purists turn a blind eye to i wouldnt be worried at least its a clubman shell and not a roundnose shell 1275gt

The guy selling that is/was a member here

Edited by stumpy75, 28 May 2019 - 05:59 PM.

#11 KRM_Simon

KRM_Simon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:03 PM

Oh so many reasons.... no GT plate welded to front crossmember, no holes for servo & it's bracket, bonnet stay bracket on wrong side, shouldn't have drip rails, shouldn't have welded rad surround, no boot bracket boards, pre-76 bonnet hinges, etc, etc.

In that case I suggest you stop reading then because you are going to absolutely hate this build! Since buying it I’ve spent most of my time cutting out all unrequired brackets and welding up all the holes I’m not going to use.
Also you also haven’t convinced me it’s non-genuine, I have already mentioned it being a late crossover shell as are several other ‘77 GT shells I have come across since (yes they could all be unoriginal) as Stumpy points out there could be many reasons for parts being incorrect, nothing that couldn’t be rectified if I was building it for anoraks. Feel free to keep quoting a guide to me but the car is as original as I need it to be and I am happy with it.

Looks like this will be a nice build.

I will be watching this one, cant bet a tarmac rally spec mini :proud:

Again warning634 yours is another build thread I’ve really enjoyed reading, mine will be slightly different as going down the historic route but I’ll let you know if I pinch any of your ideas ;)

#12 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,031 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:40 PM

That looks like a great project.

A '77 is eligible as a historic for rallying and as a tarmac spec car would be fantastic on a lot of events in the UK and in France & Belgium.

Good luck with the work.

#13 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:43 PM

Not quite so many reasons..... the ‘77 GT with 12” wheels didn’t have a servo (or single line brakes) or boot board and only the very early ones had the bonnet stay on the other side. I didn’t think the bonnet hinges changed in 76 - my 72 had the same hinges as this one.

#14 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:17 PM

Hi Simon.

Nice to see another rally Clubman joining the fray. Whether it's an original GT or not.....who gives a stuff right? And I really like your last paragraph.....

"... if I do something well, tell me, if I could do something a better way, a simpler way or I’ve overlooked something, tell me and if I’m doing something completely stupid tell me before it comes back to bite me."

Brilliant attitude to have and I salute you for being open to folks being critical (all be it in a nice way hopefully!), although on the whole, the small rally and motorsport community on here I've always found to be super supportive and helpful.

Keep the updates coming as it might give me the inspiration to crack on with mine....i'm assuming you are looking at the Minisport Cup as target events to compete on?

All the best,  Dave

#15 KRM_Simon

KRM_Simon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:15 PM

That looks like a great project.
A '77 is eligible as a historic for rallying and as a tarmac spec car would be fantastic on a lot of events in the UK and in France & Belgium.
Good luck with the work.

Thanks Peter, a long road ahead but looking forward to it. In case you hadn’t clocked the name change, I exchanged a couple of emails with you a week or 3 ago, initially about rear damper top mount access! The hope is at some point to take it over to Belgium this does affect the build slightly, mainly the choice of cage, it may affect other things but still struggling to get my head round the homologation papers.

Not quite so many reasons..... the ‘77 GT with 12” wheels didn’t have a servo (or single line brakes) or boot board and only the very early ones had the bonnet stay on the other side. I didn’t think the bonnet hinges changed in 76 - my 72 had the same hinges as this one.

I knew someone with more knowledge than me would be along shortly. I am not so far away from you Graeme, I did briefly speak to you at one of the Myerscough autotests last year, I was only spectating that day, not long after you’d sold your GT I think.

Hi Simon.

Nice to see another rally Clubman joining the fray. Whether it's an original GT or not.....who gives a stuff right? And I really like your last paragraph.....

"... if I do something well, tell me, if I could do something a better way, a simpler way or I’ve overlooked something, tell me and if I’m doing something completely stupid tell me before it comes back to bite me."

Brilliant attitude to have and I salute you for being open to folks being critical (all be it in a nice way hopefully!), although on the whole, the small rally and motorsport community on here I've always found to be super supportive and helpful.

Keep the updates coming as it might give me the inspiration to crack on with mine....i'm assuming you are looking at the Minisport Cup as target events to compete on?

All the best,  Dave

Cheers Dave, I might have a few good ideas of my own, but it’s pointless completely reinventing the wheel so I’m happy to learn from those who have done it before, or tried different things.

There were a few ups and downs, reading your build and it triggered a memory, I had a look round your car at the start of The Garstang memorial rally that you drowned it in a ford several years ago! I was absolutely gutted for you when you put pictures of the accident that killed off the car after so much work. But then quite excited when it looked like you were going to be heading in the same direction I was. I hope I can motivate you to get back into your build, because no doubt at some point I am going need some motivation to keep pushing forward and if at this point I can see someone going through the same thing it will be a big help!!!
Did you ever make a descision on what you were going to do about a roll cage or at least a shortlist? I have a few thoughts but would be interested to hear yours before I possibly bias it with my thoughts.
The minisport cup is definitely something I’d like to do, one make championship and all that, a chance to go over to Belgium, so initially that’s what I’ll be targeting event and car set up wise.

Cheers
Simon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clubman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users