10 replies to this topic

#1 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:04 PM

my mini came with a  1275 engine in it, it seemed ok but i only drove it up the road and back when i bought it, but followed my mate driving it home 30 miles and didnt seem to have any issues.

Now, i also have a 998 cc engine, this is the original type for my car. Id rather have the 998 engine in the car as i want it to look factory as much as i can. Also the 1275 can sit in the garage, itll only go up in value i think. Im not after a fast car, just one that pulls well, and be good for going to shows etc.

So with the 998, it will at least get a set of rings, but is there going to be a big improvement with bigger pistons?  This could be quite costly is it worth it?

I could find a 1098 crank shaft and rods? OR is it pistons as well?

Is it a sw5 camshaft that people use?

I dont want to spend a fortune on tuning it, just make it reliable and pokey. I think the 998 head is ok but will need porting as there is a lot of room for improvement there. I do also have a 1275 rebuilt head which is slightly ported. So basically whats a good guide for a 998 cc engine ?

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:12 PM

You would need 1098 crank and pistons.

998 and 1098 rods are the same.

#3 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:26 PM

If you want the car to 'look' as factory as possible it doesn't really matter which engine you use as visually there is very little difference and if you want it to 'pull well' there's no substitute for the extra horses provided by the 1275.

Vq7q1yN.jpg

- with twin Su's would look not much different to:

cSIUU9A.jpg

#4 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:39 PM

thanks was having a bit of a look about before and found these items

camshaft

that isnt dear at all, dosnt need different rockers as the lift is really good as it is.

pistons

again not a lot of money at all, that would make 1047cc?

Then if i port the head, raise the compression maybe? I dont know what a 998 is as standard, and possibly add bigger valves...

which ever engine i was to fit to the car would get fully stripped and rebuilt, i just remembered the 1275 is actually 1293, but it is the wrong engine for the car i think.

hmm...

#5 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:40 PM

John, yes true, but i know and itll be doing my head in i think.!!

The motor wants for me to look like its the original, dont want to paint a 1275 yellow.

Edited by Avtovaz, 26 May 2019 - 05:41 PM.

#6 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:16 PM

You need to try and drive a well sorted example of each to help your decision.

#7 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:40 PM

I have been battling with the same decision for about a year. Part of me wanted to stick with the 998 but rebores to 1079 and part of me wanted to rebuild an MG Metro 1275 rebored to 1293. I then came across the midway 1098 achieved by fitting an 1100 crank and a rebore (can’t remember what pistons)

I think I have decided to rebuild the 1275 to 1293 as they would all cost about the same but the 1293 is mot bang for the buck.

I also picked up an unmodified Cooper 998 12G295 head which I still keep looking at and thinking hmmm.

What has now pushed the cost up though is because of modern fuels I have been advised on a Compression Ratio of 9.75:1 which means Omega 10cc dishes pistons instead of P21253 8cc, the Omegas are about £100 more :-(

#8 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:59 PM

the cooper heads are good like but they arnt unleaded, plus if i port the standard head, they are only £20 for another if i mess it up.

the 1293 i have is a fair thing, its got a  kent cam head with massive ports, but the point of this car isnt to get from a-b as fast as possible, its about enjoying the trip, and maybe a slightly underpowered engine is better than something that goes like stink for this car. I dont have anything to prove, just to enjoy it. 

I think if i was to do the 998, i will use the standard crank, the pistons, the cam i linked, and up the compression a bit. I think the 1098 needs a different advance on the dizzy too?

I know when you open the bonnet, and there is a differently pointing stat housing, no covers and breather on the back of the motor it just wont be what i want really.

having said all of this, LOL! i slipped a disc in my back last year, and its just dawned on my the standard front seats wont be any good for me at all. Looking at getting some metro ones and fudging them to look a bit like advantage seats , other wise i wont be able to go far in it....

#9 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:39 PM

the cooper heads are good like but they arnt unleaded, plus if i port the standard head, they are only £20 for another if i mess it up.

the 1293 i have is a fair thing, its got a  kent cam head with massive ports, but the point of this car isnt to get from a-b as fast as possible, its about enjoying the trip, and maybe a slightly underpowered engine is better than something that goes like stink for this car. I dont have anything to prove, just to enjoy it. 

I think if i was to do the 998, i will use the standard crank, the pistons, the cam i linked, and up the compression a bit. I think the 1098 needs a different advance on the dizzy too?

I know when you open the bonnet, and there is a differently pointing stat housing, no covers and breather on the back of the motor it just wont be what i want really.

having said all of this, LOL! i slipped a disc in my back last year, and its just dawned on my the standard front seats wont be any good for me at all. Looking at getting some metro ones and fudging them to look a bit like advantage seats , other wise i wont be able to go far in it....

Where are you based? I have two sets of Metro Mk2 seats, they'll be cheap :-)

#10 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:40 PM

If you want the car to 'look' as factory as possible it doesn't really matter which engine you use as visually there is very little difference and if you want it to 'pull well' there's no substitute for the extra horses provided by the 1275.

Vq7q1yN.jpg

- with twin Su's would look not much different to:

cSIUU9A.jpg

Sorry to hijack this thread, but can I borrow these pics, trying to get some ideas for my engine bay ?

#11 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:05 PM

widnes, by liverpool! miles away unfortunately...

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users