the sweeney

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:53 PM

If theres such a thing, 

im looking at an 16-20 8v vauxhall engine conversion

Is there a pretty staight forward conversion??

i just want more all round power for the Mini  to be super reliable and have 5 gears, even a twin choke weber would suit me fine.

its a daily driver, needs to be able to motorway cruise better, any ideas / info would be ace.....

thanks in advance

Attached File  mini at j4.jpg   70.14K   3 downloads

Edited by the sweeney, 26 May 2019 - 08:56 PM.

#2 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 27 May 2019 - 02:16 AM

Toyota 4EFE?

#3 Broomer

Broomer

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:02 AM

Never understood the logic of fitting a engine with injection as standard but removing it to fit crappy carbs.

Also pay attention to the gear ratios, that could make or break a daily driver if on fast roads. My k series on both 3.9 or 3.7 boxes and 10" wheels have been like 4.5 to 4 grand on motor ways, which can be a little tiring.

#4 Rich1

Rich1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:04 AM

If I wa going to use my mini every day I would go vauxhall 1.6 ltr 16v good engine and cheap to buy

#5 the sweeney

the sweeney

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 06:18 PM

thanks guys

#6 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:52 PM

Why not just fit a taller diff to the A series in it?

I find most people who go for big HP conversions wind up rarely driving the car due to other complications/issues caused by the conversion. why not go with what you know? There are lots of bolt on power improvers for the A series, and if you're looking for lower revs on motorway, a 2:76 as iftted by the factory will do it. Mind you, changing the engine does nothing for the overall noisiness of a Mini at motorway speeds - wind noise, tire roar, and all the rest now come thru with absolute clarity!   :proud:

I built a 1275 up to about 100 hp and it pulled at 2:76 easily, cruising at 75 mph was nothing for it.....but I still wore earplugs on longer trips of a coupe hours or more....

Edited by Magneto, 01 June 2019 - 05:53 PM.

#7 the sweeney

the sweeney

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:17 PM

Cheers for bringing it back on track Magneto, im hearing what your saying,but as the Mini is a bit of a hack, i think ive mad my mind up on engine conversion.

Im looking forward to the transplant, i know its not everyone bag but its my motor.. Being from the midlands we always do M5 south journeys and i want to use the Mini without the struggling issues, even though the sound of your engine probably wouldn't have them, but cheers anyway

#8 Broomer

Broomer

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:52 PM

Why not just fit a taller diff to the A series in it?

I find most people who go for big HP conversions wind up rarely driving the car due to other complications/issues caused by the conversion. why not go with what you know? There are lots of bolt on power improvers for the A series, and if you're looking for lower revs on motorway, a 2:76 as iftted by the factory will do it. Mind you, changing the engine does nothing for the overall noisiness of a Mini at motorway speeds - wind noise, tire roar, and all the rest now come thru with absolute clarity!   :proud:

I built a 1275 up to about 100 hp and it pulled at 2:76 easily, cruising at 75 mph was nothing for it.....but I still wore earplugs on longer trips of a coupe hours or more....

I think it's mainly down to the fact a true 100hp A series engine, not a 1275 with a stage one kit is realistically £2k? With a lifespan of a couple years between rebuilds?

Rovers are like litter, a 100hp engine will set you back £100 quid and is already 16v, fuel injected etc, things people litterally spend thousands on to improve their A series.
Similar can be said for Honda's and vauxhalls.

#9 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:42 AM

Well, that's a good point, we don't have access to all these different choices here in the States. Honda D series is fairly common tho…..

#10 the sweeney

the sweeney

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:48 AM

Yes the choice is vast, im not even sure what Vauxhall i need for a donor car???

Ill be using an Allspeed subframe, im not sure if they come with all engine mounts etc, or if they recommend what donor car to use?

i will call them Wednesday , ill post what they say

Attached File  mini prepre prep.jpg   58.55K   2 downloads

Edited by the sweeney, 02 June 2019 - 08:55 AM.

#11 69k1100

69k1100

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:42 AM

The CG13de from a Nissan Micra looks to fit without hacking the wings about. 

If I were going to do it it would be that or a sohc Honda 1.6. I always wanted a G13b to replace my swift gti but there's next to no aftermarket support and donor stock is hard to find.

Also consider the rolling diameter of your wheels, I am not sure there is much difference until you hit 13" 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users