3 replies to this topic

#1 Dan_B

Dan_B

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:35 PM

I’m trying to get my newly acquired 2000 MPI ‘fit’ after 6 years in storage.

The issue I have seems fairly common, but I’m very much new to mechanics, so just wanted to sense check, before i started taking things apart...

Currently, I can’t get the water or oil temperature gauges to register at all. It’s a bit chicken and egg, as I’m nervous to run the car to much not knowing the temperatures, but I gave it several minutes, the pipes / resivoir etc were hot.

Fuel gauge doesn’t move either, but it does when I bridge the connections to the tank. I have therefore concluded my fuel sender is defective (or gunked up from being stood), but that the gauges (resistor?!?) are ok.

I have disconnected the connector from the gold temperature sensor and the fan kicks in.

When running, the radiator inlet pipe and the radiator warmed up within 5 minutes, although currently it’s 100% water as I was testing for leaks etc after replacing the jubilee clips due to them weeping.

So...

1) does the water temperature gauge work from the temp sensor or is there another sensor? Is there a way to test the gauge?

2) How long does/should it take to get to temperature? I.e is 5 minutes too quick for the radiator to be getting warm? Would a Chemical flush be a wise move (already flushed with water).

I have read the oil temperature gauges are very temperamental, so I’d be happy to just have the water temperature working for now!

Thanks in advance...

#2 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:43 PM

oil temperature gauges take like for ever to move , mine used take about 30 mile up the motorway@80 before it moved ..

petrol gauge should move asap 

starting points to look at are the wires on the petrol sender on the fuel tank in  the boot , the circat bord may have burnt out on the back off the speedo/ water temp and or petrol gauge

Edited by ukcooper, 26 May 2019 - 10:44 PM.

#3 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 05:21 AM

Well you proved that the circuit is working so that’s good
The other way to check is with a diagnostics reader, you’ll need access to one as an injection mini owner
Or if you have access to an infra red temp reader you could use this

You could also just let it run and keep an eye on things

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:28 AM

Take Cpl Jones' advice, "Don't panic".

After 60 years, when driven moderately, a Mini is pretty reliable.  Also, bear in mind that back then the only gauge was the fuel gauge;  none the less, many people carried a petrol can, just in-case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users