10 replies to this topic

#1 Joe555

Joe555

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 12:58 PM

My wife has just bought a car that is catagory S, what are the implications.  How do we know if it has been repaired properly.

Joe

#2 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:03 PM

S is a 'Structural Write-off' (but repairable) if I remember rightly. Tricky business. Unless you know who repaired it, and how good a job they did, I'd be unsure of using it, or letting anyone I care about use it! I'm sure you can have some form of structural assessment, but there's always a risk that some bodywork horrors are cleverly bodged over with filler and paint, without a proper repair. 

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:03 PM

What’s the difference between Category S and Category N?

Both Category S and N cars can be repaired and put back on the road, but the two are defined as follows:

A Category S vehicle has suffered structural damage and has been written off by the insurer as it was uneconomical to repair. This damage could be to any part of the vehicle's structural frame, including the chassis.

A Category N vehicle has also been written off by the insurer as it was uneconomical to repair, but the difference is that it suffered non-structural damage. The vehicle's structural frame or chassis did not suffer any damage.

With Category S and N cars, insurers will often sell the car on for salvage, when someone else may choose to repair the car. If the car is repaired properly, there’s no reason you shouldn’t buy and run it.

#4 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:05 PM

From the RAC....

"The new Category S means the vehicle has suffered structural damage. This could include a bent or twisted chassis, or a crumple zone that has collapsed in a crash.

Category S damage is more than just cosmetic, therefore, and the vehicle will need to be professionally repaired. Also, it won’t be safe to drive until then"

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

Not a Mini?

Was she aware when she bought it, was at from a dealer?

#6 paulg027

paulg027

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Local Club: Tamar Historic Transport Club

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:05 PM

Joe, in order to put the car back on the road a category S write-off will require an engineers report to confirm its roadworthiness.  It's the main difference regarding repairs to categories S and N and putting either classification back on the road.

#7 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:18 PM

Run it through Vcheck and see if they have any record of it at salvage auction.

Won't tell you about the standard of repair but it might give you an idea of the damage prior to it being fixed.

#8 petey81

petey81

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:36 PM

My mini was a s category after my accident last year. I completed the work myself then put it through an mot and the insurance company were happy with that.

#9 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:22 PM

My mini was a s category after my accident last year. I completed the work myself then put it through an mot and the insurance company were happy with that.

No engineers report to confirm the repairs were structurally sound?  Just the MOT test?

#10 petey81

petey81

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:43 PM

No engineers report to confirm the repairs were structurally sound? Just the MOT test?

Yes that is correct.

#11 Joe555

Joe555

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 04:30 PM

Can anyone recomend where we might get it checked on a jig near epsom.

Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users