#1 nicholasp99

nicholasp99

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:08 PM

Hi everyone,

so I need to replace by rear subframe and don't have the equipment to life the car. Someone once told me they used to roll their mini upside down onto a mattress! is this safe? once Ive drained the fuel and oil and taken off the wing mirrors is this a good idea?

many thanks,

Nick

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:13 PM

You only need a decent jack and some axle stands.

Are you going to be alright tackling brake hydraulics?

Edited by unburntfuelinthemorning, 03 June 2019 - 07:13 PM.

#3 nicholasp99

nicholasp99

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:15 PM

Am I still able to remove the rear subframe using axle stands? Im not entirely sure where else I can put them...

thanks,

N

#4 surfblue

surfblue

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:27 PM

Am I still able to remove the rear subframe using axle stands? Im not entirely sure where else I can put them...

thanks,

N

Support the shell at the rear of the sills - infront of the rear subframe.

Rolling a mini over can be done but a bit extreme, okay for works rally teams, I personally wouldnt do it and risk body damage.

#5 ukcooper

ukcooper

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:53 PM

[ut  a scaffold plank unger the mini left to right as near the rear as you can, take the exhaust off first and hand brake cables... 

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:53 PM

If you use 4 axle stands with two pieces of timber it is easy. Jack the car as high as it will go at the back by jacking on the subframe side members. Put two axle stands each side under the rear of the floor with a piece of timber about 12" x 3" onto each pair of stands. The rear edge of the wood should be in line with the end of the floor.
Lower the car onto the wood, undo everything including the exhaust, hydraulics, handbrake, dampers, and anything else attaching the subframe to the car, then remove all the subframe trunnion bolts and lower it from the bodyshell.

Edited by Cooperman, 03 June 2019 - 07:56 PM.

#7 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:36 PM

If you use 4 axle stands with two pieces of timber it is easy. Jack the car as high as it will go at the back by jacking on the subframe side members. Put two axle stands each side under the rear of the floor with a piece of timber about 12" x 3" onto each pair of stands. The rear edge of the wood should be in line with the end of the floor.
Lower the car onto the wood, undo everything including the exhaust, hydraulics, handbrake, dampers, and anything else attaching the subframe to the car, then remove all the subframe trunnion bolts and lower it from the bodyshell.

Exactly how I replaced mine last year but used new stainless nuts and bolts and also replaced all bushes with polybushes.

#8 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:07 PM

When refitting the new subframe it's much easier to fit it without radius arms on the subframe. They almost double the weight, and can be easily fitted once the new subframe is in place and bolted up to the shell.

#9 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:18 PM

Get yourself a Haynes Workshop Manual, there are loads of cheap ones on Ebay.  It tells you step by step in the chapter on suspension and steering how to replace the rear subframe.  Read through it first and check you have all the necessary tools for the job.  You'll avoid a lot of problems if you follow it.

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:26 PM

Lots of videos on you tube.....

#11 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:29 PM

February 1976 (25p) magazines found in my loft and bought by me at the time! :lol:

PM-subframe.jpg

PM-subframe-2.jpg

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:00 PM

A note of caution,

The bolts holding the front trunnions into the heelboard can be pigs. Try to undo them before you undo anything else. If they do cause grief, at least you'll have a chance of getting it back on the road so you can take it for someone else to struggle and swear at.

#13 cp2708

cp2708

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:32 AM

February 1976 (25p) magazines found in my loft and bought by me at the time! :lol:

PM-subframe.jpg

PM-subframe-2.jpg

That 1961 Mini looks in very good condition at 15 years old!

#14 surfblue

surfblue

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:29 AM

Sounds so simple in theory!  :mmkay:

When you add in the ravages of time and rusty fittings it can take a little more effort.

#15 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:50 AM

Sounds so simple in theory!  :mmkay:

When you add in the ravages of time and rusty fittings it can take a little more effort.

Yea as with most jobs involving old rusty bits, the job actually starts the week before - where you liberally cover everything in penetrating oil and leave it to work in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users