68 replies to this topic

#46 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:59 AM

The idea of an insurance accident assessor inspecting a crashed classic car taking bolts from the rear sub-frame mountings, taking them to a materials test laboratory and having them shear tested is laughable. The results would then have to be compared with the results of testing some standard OE bolts and any difference checked to see what the change in safety reserve was.
It just ain't gonna happen.

You easily spot SS by eye. Spotting the SS is enough to declare it unroadworthy as its forbidden to use on suspension and chassis by European law. The idea of using this cr*p in those places isnt even laughable. It scares me knowing there are so many bodgers out there.

#47 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:46 AM

Is Titanium forbidden

The idea of an insurance accident assessor inspecting a crashed classic car taking bolts from the rear sub-frame mountings, taking them to a materials test laboratory and having them shear tested is laughable. The results would then have to be compared with the results of testing some standard OE bolts and any difference checked to see what the change in safety reserve was.

You easily spot SS by eye. Spotting the SS is enough to declare it unroadworthy as its forbidden to use on suspension and chassis by European Law. The idea of using this cr*p in those places isnt even laughable. It scares me knowing there are so many bodgers out there.

How about waiting till 1st November before fitting the SS bolts ?

#48 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:43 PM

Is Titanium forbidden

You easily spot SS by eye. Spotting the SS is enough to declare it unroadworthy as its forbidden to use on suspension and chassis by European Law. The idea of using this cr*p in those places isnt even laughable. It scares me knowing there are so many bodgers out there.

Dont forget to fit the copper brake lines and poly bushes as well! ;)

#49 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:43 PM

Spotting the SS is enough to declare it unroadworthy as its forbidden to use on suspension and chassis by European law.

Can you provide evidence of this?

#50 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:47 PM

European Law

Why's that?  We'll still be in the European Union won't we?  They're not serious about leaving you know.

#51 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:37 PM

European Law

Why's that?  We'll still be in the European Union won't we?  They're not serious about leaving you know.

Of course "THEY"  aren't. 

"THEY"  get paid, plus a super pension, for doing nothing but nod through all the eu  regulations.

"THEY"  are 5th columnist traitors.

"THEY"  don't know it, but I left the eu  in March.

#52 brownspeed

brownspeed

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:11 PM

You easily spot SS by eye. Spotting the SS is enough to declare it unroadworthy as its forbidden to use on suspension and chassis by European law. The idea of using this cr*p in those places isnt even laughable. It scares me knowing there are so many bodgers out there.

FFS! if anyone's worried- paint the sodding things and hide them with underseal & crap. (like we used to do with "sill repairs") like anyone is REALLY gonna bother.

Mine are on unpainted SS bolts but don't tell on me

#53 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:34 PM

FFS! if anyone's worried- paint the sodding things and hide them with underseal & crap. (like we used to do with "sill repairs") like anyone is REALLY gonna bother.
Mine are on unpainted SS bolts but don't tell on me

Or do the job properly, paint the fasteners and never have them rust. Nice comparison with the iversills, another bodge.

#54 NikOett

NikOett

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:58 PM

Because I hot dip zinc plate my rear subframes, it is a long time since I removed one,  but if, as suggested for ease of handling, the radius arms are removed, can't the big bolt that goes through the rubber bush in the mounting block be undone and extracted ?

This would mean that the 5/16" bolts into the captive nuts in the body do not have to be disturbed.

I'm really interested in getting a rear subframe galvanised, however nowhere do I find any actual recommendations for places where others have had them done. I'm over in Worcestershire so interested in a recommendation. Thanks

#55 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:32 AM

If the EU have banned stainless I think it'll be a fair while before parliament gets round to repealing that regulation in the post brexit hullaballoo. Though, if we want to ever export cars again we'll still be complying with regulations from the EU and elsewhere.

If there are lives lost, or 6 figure injury claims to settle, they'd be looking at your car in fine detail, particularly any bent or broken bits. Though I agree it's unlikely bolts would be blamed unless they failed, or something else failed instead when they should have.

#56 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:12 PM

RIGHT GENTS BEFORE THIS THREAD DESCENDS ANY FURTHER CAN I ASK THAT ANY PERTINENT FACTS ARE ACTUALLY LINKED SO WE CAN SEE.

JUST SAYING ITS EUROPEAN LAW MEANS NOTHING WITHOUT A LINK, ALSO WE WILL KEEP POLITICS OUT OF THIS TECHNICAL THREAD.

I WILL CLOSE THIS THREAD AND ANY OTHER THREADS IN THE TECHNICAL SECTION THAT I SEE THAT MENTIONS ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE TECHNICAL ANSWERS THAT SHOULD BE GIVEN.

KEEP POLITICAL IDEOLOGY ETC ETC OUT OF THIS SECTION, ITS NOT NEEDED OR WARRANTED.

#57 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:09 PM

RIGHT GENTS BEFORE THIS THREAD DESCENDS ANY FURTHER CAN I ASK THAT ANY PERTINENT FACTS ARE ACTUALLY LINKED SO WE CAN SEE.

JUST SAYING ITS EUROPEAN LAW MEANS NOTHING WITHOUT A LINK, ALSO WE WILL KEEP POLITICS OUT OF THIS TECHNICAL THREAD.

I WILL CLOSE THIS THREAD AND ANY OTHER THREADS IN THE TECHNICAL SECTION THAT I SEE THAT MENTIONS ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE TECHNICAL ANSWERS THAT SHOULD BE GIVEN.

KEEP POLITICAL IDEOLOGY ETC ETC OUT OF THIS SECTION, ITS NOT NEEDED OR WARRANTED.

I'll just leave this here :

Warning
Please be careful when answering peoples technical questions that you do not misguide them into taking inappropriate action. Not only is this annoying, but it can also be costly and could even be dangerous if the wrong information is given. This is why we ask that only first-hand and factual information is posted in reply to peoples queries. If you are not 100% certain of your reply, be sure to point out your uncertainty.

Fact: SS is subpar compared to the original spec.

#58 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:32 PM

Warning
Please be careful when answering peoples technical questions that you do not misguide them into taking inappropriate action. Not only is this annoying, but it can also be costly and could even be dangerous if the wrong information is given. This is why we ask that only first-hand and factual information is posted in reply to peoples queries. If you are not 100% certain of your reply, be sure to point out your uncertainty.

I'll just leave this here.

You quoted "as its forbidden to use on suspension and chassis by European law" 

So where is the link to back up your statement?? Also the reason why i posted in this thread as ADMIN was to prevent it from degrading any further.

Now please post the link to the European Law that you says exists with reference to the illegality of using Stainless Steel fasteners in suspension components.

This is why we ask that only first-hand and factual information is posted in reply to peoples queries. If you are not 100% certain of your reply, be sure to point out your uncertainty.

#59 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:52 PM

Warning

So where is the link to back up your statement?? Also the reason why i posted in this thread as ADMIN was to prevent it from degrading any further.

Now please post the link to the European Law that you says exists with reference to the illegality of using Stainless Steel fasteners in suspension components.

This is why we ask that only first-hand and factual information is posted in reply to peoples queries. If you are not 100% certain of your reply, be sure to point out your uncertainty.

Its Like proving unicorns dont exist. You cant prove there is no type approval by supplying a type approval.
Being a major parts resaler now I'm 100% sure of my statement.

And you dont have to pull the admin card, I'm very much aware of that. Though it saddens me to see that there is a selectivity in what is deemed "an okay bodge"and what's not.

#60 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:06 PM

Warning

Its Like proving unicorns dont exist. You cant prove there is no type approval by supplying a type approval.
Being a major parts resaler now I'm 100% sure of my statement.

And you dont have to pull the admin card, I'm very much aware of that. Though it saddens me to see that there is a selectivity in what is deemed "an okay bodge"and what's not.

The problem here with all of this is you specifically said there is a European Law, hence why i asked for that particular law.

This is going around in circles now so pretty pointless going on about it.

And i specifically pulled the Admin card to try and draw a line under all of this. Its been reported, i have tried to deal with the report.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users