#1 E1LDR

E1LDR

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:42 PM

Hi,

Since joining I have found this forum very useful but I haven’t come across an answer for the above title.

I’m looking at replacing my crossmember but will attempt one side at a time - I was inclined to order the full panel and cut into two.

Would you recommend a heritage panel for this or will a magnum or similar suffice? If anyone has any pictures or tips that would help with my build I’d very much appreciate them.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:50 PM

"I’m looking at replacing my crossmember but will attempt one side at a time - I was inclined to order the full panel and cut into two."

I would really try and avoid doing this if you can, changing it in one piece will give much better and stronger result.

#3 E1LDR

E1LDR

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:55 PM

"I’m looking at replacing my crossmember but will attempt one side at a time - I was inclined to order the full panel and cut into two."

I would really try and avoid doing this if you can, changing it in one piece will give much better and stronger result.

Thanks for the swift reply. The reason I will be doing this is due to the other panels I need to change. I may decide once I have the floor, inner & outer sills welded in I will look to change the piece in full. I’m currently attempting the right hand side of the car first as this is by far worse than the left hand side.

#4 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:53 PM

If you brace the shell you can remove in one, far better way to do it,

#5 E1LDR

E1LDR

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:06 PM

Thanks Daz1968. I will look to change this as a whole piece.

Would a heritage panel be a better fit or is a magnum or Non-genuine panel suffice for this?

#6 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:58 PM

I used all m machine panels on my floor but bought as full assembly, their panels are very good.

#7 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:53 AM

Does the while floor need replacing? If so get a complete floor with the sills and everything already welded on.

Yes it's more expensive, but you will save sooooo much time and effort. Wish I had done that.

#8 E1LDR

E1LDR

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:57 AM

Thanks. The floor doesn’t all need replacing - mainly drivers footwell and a small patch on the passenger front.

#9 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:10 AM

well, do have a good poke around if you havent already, it often ( ususally) is a lot worse than it looks.

#10 E1LDR

E1LDR

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:18 AM

well, do have a good poke around if you havent already, it often ( ususally) is a lot worse than it looks.

Haha I know this only too well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users