9 replies to this topic

#1 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:27 PM

My mother had a metro engine fitted to her mini 30 years ago, i took this out and fitted a 998 before we sold the car. The carb is in the loft buried, i remember it was on a water heated manifold which was standard on a metro? It wasnt a mg engine, it was a A+ lucas dizzy in it... would that have been a hif38 or more likely a hif44?

I want a HIF38 as ill be building a 998 engine soon but its a big effort to get all teh stuff out of the loft just to look

thanks

#2 absx2

absx2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:51 PM

Only the MG Metro and VP had the water heated manifold which used the HIF44 and a lot of basic 1275 metros used the 44 and 38 on all in one cast iron manifolds so looks like you will have to have a dig in the loft to see.

#3 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:55 PM

it was M&M;s in warrington who fitted the engine, i think they would have used the water heated manifold as they also fitted a lcb and center exit. Knowing them also, they would have put a smaller carb on it if it had the 44...

but yes ok ill have a dig and see what it is. Im reading the 44 is too big for a 998.

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:23 PM

Most 998s will be best with the HIF38 but if you're going for a very highly tuned 998 go for the HIF44. 

#5 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:23 PM

well, the idea is for the advantage i want to keep it a small block motor, i was thinking;

998 with +60 pistons, ive got a 1275 head from the engine i said about above, but its had guides, valve seats, little skim, all tested not used since built and its unleaded. Ive got a maniflow exhaust manifold for a 1275 though, lekky ignition, and maybe the minispares evo 0001 camshaft.

I dont think that will be a too stressed motor, and should last a bit not that the car will do many miles.

i still think the hif38 would be the one???

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,411 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:49 PM

With a 1275 12g940 head on a 998 you may need to pocket the block to ensure that the valves don't hit the block deck.

#7 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:54 PM

yes, price of doing that over rebuilding another head to the spec of the one i have is worth it.

I had a 998 with a 940 on it when i was 18, it went well, very well!

I think the 998 engine will cope fine with that combination, and that is what im planning on doing this week LOL!

#8 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:54 PM

Either would work.  See what others say but with that cam I think the 38 would be sufficient.  You'll probably lose some fuel mileage and some low down power with a big bore head.  What do you want from the engine?  What sort of driving will you do with it?

#9 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:00 PM

ill hopefully be using it only for thing like wirral to llandudno type things, and hopefully a touring holiday in it at some point. Dont care so much about mpg, ive a 3000cc e39 road car, it does 27mpg so anything up is fine LOL! Speed also, not so bothered, i have both a 1293 i could fit that is quite modded, but its too much i think and also a bmw rally car. So its a bit of a driver fun car.

Just thinking ahead as the shell is nearly welded up!

#10 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:35 PM

In terms of airflow the 38 will support about 65hp before it starts to be restrictive. So will most likely be adequate for your proposed 998 spec.

Phil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares