21 replies to this topic

#1 ilmung

ilmung

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

I want to install those fast road lower bush set  yellow dotted http://www.minispare...c/C-STR632.aspx

There's  a line on each  bush and  I have heard that this bushes have to be put in a certain way ?

Can anybody  explain  me  in easy words ( I am from Belgium and my English is not 100%) ) how I must do this ?

#2 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:52 AM

See the last paragraph of the installation article.... 

http://www.minispare...ttom-arm-bushes

Fitting:
In both cases the bushes need to be properly orientated to achieve the correct angle of fitment for the offset steel sleeves. The bushes are therefore marked with a fine line on the narrower side of the bush flange (check top and underside of flange). The front bush (nearest front of car) should be fitted with this line pointing down the centerline of the bottom arm towards the wheel. The rear bush should be positioned with it's line 180 degrees the other way, so pointing in towards the centerline of the car. Trial fit the bushes and bottom arm pin to the arm before fitting to the car - the pin should fit easily through. If the bushes are not correctly aligned the pin will not fit easily.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:53 AM

http://www.minispare...ttom-arm-bushes

Fitting:
In both cases the bushes need to be properly orientated to achieve the correct angle of fitment for the offset steel sleeves. The bushes are therefore marked with a fine line on the narrower side of the bush flange (check top and underside of flange). The front bush (nearest front of car) should be fitted with this line pointing down the centerline of the bottom arm towards the wheel. The rear bush should be positioned with it's line 180 degrees the other way, so pointing in towards the centerline of the car. Trial fit the bushes and bottom arm pin to the arm before fitting to the car - the pin should fit easily through. If the bushes are not correctly aligned the pin will not fit easily.

Attached File  Capture.JPG   18.85K   2 downloads

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 06 June 2019 - 03:15 PM

A young guy came and asked me last autumn "These lines mean something, but I don't quite understand".

We looked it up, and the explanation could be more concise, but it left me thinking, and I told  him,  Paddy Hopkirk  won the Monty 3 times with standard bushes.

I know that it didn't help him, but I asked him  "Are you going to be driving that hard" ?  If not, why fall for the bovine excrement ?

Edited by DeadSquare, 06 June 2019 - 05:29 PM.

#5 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 06 June 2019 - 04:39 PM

A young guy came and asked me last autumn "These lines mean something, but I don't quite understand".

We looked it up, and the explanation could be more concise, but it left me thinking, and I told him, Paddy Hopkirk won the Monty 3 times with standard bushes.

I know that it didn't help him, but a asked him "Are you going to be driving that hard" ? If not, why fall for the bovine excrement ?

Paddy’s mini was red and white, so why have any other colour combo?

Tech has moved on since 1964, minis are good, but better with well setup geometry.

#6 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:35 PM

We looked it up, and the explanation could be more concise, but it left me thinking, and I told him, Paddy Hopkirk won the Monty 3 times with standard bushes.

I know that it didn't help him, but a asked him "Are you going to be driving that hard" ? If not, why fall for the bovine excrement ?

Paddy’s mini was red and white, so why have any other colour combo?

Tech has moved on since 1964, minis are good, but better with well setup geometry.

First.  Please let me be quite clear that my post does not question the driving ability of "Ilmung" .

@ Midas.   Fair comment.  A 648 cam gives a lot of power on a circuit, but it is not much use to the average driver in normal town and country driving.

I have raced on Rose jointed suspension, and what fractions can be gained on a dozen corners can easily be lost on the thirteenth, where rubber bushes are more forgiving.

If Mr. Hopkirk can win the Monty with standard bushes, I just wonder whether the average driver is being sold a bush, from which they are not likely to gain any advantage ?

#7 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:46 PM

Realigning the center of a bush to compensate when the geometry has been altered makes perfect sense to me. If the rubber is already compressed, it no longer has the ability to perform its function as designed.

#8 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:09 PM

Realigning the center of a bush to compensate when the geometry has been altered makes perfect sense to me. If the rubber is already compressed, it no longer has the ability to perform its function as designed.

+1

#9 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:23 PM

+1

+2

If you trial fit the offset bushes to the bottom arm and pivot pin (off the car) it's very clear what they're doing. Not rocket science, just correct alignment to allow the bushes to function properly.

#10 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:23 AM

+3. I assumed it was more about longevity of the bush (by being correctly aligned after applying neg camber) than it was about any handling improvement. 

Each to their own isn't it. I was going to leave my suspension totally standard other than hi-lo's but opted for the fixed neg camber arms and fixed rear brackets as a bolt-on 'improvement' so I thought these front bushes made sense. For my occasional fair-weather countrside blasts it will probably make little difference, but I'm just applying the advice of correct 'fast road' geometry settings given by forum members much more knowledgeable and experienced than myself. My budget isn't bottomless, but crikey, they're only £13. 

#11 ilmung

ilmung

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:19 AM

Hi , thanks to every one for their comments , but as I was afraid ...it's not Rocket Sience .....but I do not understand it 100%  :unsure:

I understand that those bushes must be mounted in that way that the pivot arm fits easely into the bushes .

But is it also important that the lines on the bushes are placed in particular way or ist it just (only) important that the pivot arm goes easely into the bushes ?

#12 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

Yes, the forward bush (nearest the front of the car) should have the line pointing towards the wheel.

The rear bush (nearest the rear of the car) should have the line pointing towards the engine. 

#13 ilmung

ilmung

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:47 AM

Hi , now it's clear for me , many thanks !

#14 ilmung

ilmung

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:53 AM

Hi ,
I still have some problems(language problem) to understand the fitting of these bushes .https://www.minispar..../C-STR632.aspx
I know it is not rocket sience  :proud: ....but I still have a problem .

If I read the instruction , I have to put the lines on the bushes in a right way.
So if I look at the car from the front , should the line of the first bush ( nearest to the headlights) point  to the wheel or to the centerline of the car ?
Thanks for your help .

#15 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:59 AM

Front bush - the line should point along the arm, towards the wheel.  The rear bush should point in the opposite direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users