Photo

Spi Emissions Fail. Vacuum Pipes Seem Deliberately Cut. O2 Sensor Not Budging...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 slayerofcows

slayerofcows

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:56 PM

Ok, so picked up my mini about 16 months ago. Had about 10 months mot when I got it. Did about 50 miles with her until she went to sleep for the autumn and winter and she kept sleeping long past her mot date. Finally got around to getting the test and failed miserably on emissions. Can’t see how it possibly passed before but hey ho.

After a poke around discovered the ECU to fuel trap was “snapped.. ok ordered a replacement. When installing the replacement, discovered the fuel trap to inlet manifold was also broken in two.

Now that’s too much of a coincidence. I wasn’t sure how the first one snapped into two, never mind both so I think it’s a fair assumption this was deliberate by the previous owner. I’m guessing to make it run rich on purpose? So I’ve got a replacement one of them ordered but bit worried about what this is hiding now.

Also, got myself a usb cable for diagnosing the sensor readings and Hooked it up to memsdiag. The lambda sensor seems stuck at 435mv. Won’t budge engine running or not. Disconnected the sensor and no change. Any easy check I can do to determine if it’s the sensor at fault or something between it and the ecu? I’ve got a new sensor on its way but don’t really want to figure out how to get the inlet manifold off to replace it if it’s not the sensor at fault.

Anyway, any advice from any spi wizards?

#2 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:09 PM

Definitely replace all 4 vacuum pipes plus the fuel trap, they're effectively service items.

#3 slayerofcows

slayerofcows

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:15 PM

Definitely replace all 4 vacuum pipes plus the fuel trap, they're effectively service items.

Yes, I also have the fuel trap arriving tomorrow or Saturday but there’s a k&n air filter on there so the other one coming from the inlet manifold looks blocked up. So think it’s only the two going in and out the fuel trap?

#4 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 01:24 PM

the elbows on these don't last long , and in most cases are the reason for poor running . Try changing the pipes,elbows  to silicone hoses 

#5 Alpenflitzer

Alpenflitzer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 08 June 2019 - 02:12 PM

Use silicon hoses matching the color of the original vac-lines. ID 3 mm. You do not need any elbows and stick the silicon hoses direct on the nipples.

Einlass-Krümmer = Manifold

Benzinfalle = Fuel Trap

Vakuum%20pipes_zpsb57rogve.jpg

Edited by Alpenflitzer, 08 June 2019 - 02:14 PM.

#6 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:58 PM

Is lambda sensor “stuck” when motor is hot? You need to be at the operating temperature (gauge at the dot below middle)

FS

#7 slayerofcows

slayerofcows

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:02 PM

I’ve not really got it hot no and I can’t take it for a spin as it’s mot has lapsed but can leave it idling in the garage.

Would you expect it to be stuck at 435mv until it gets warm then it’ll suddenly kick into life?

I do have a replacement lambda sensor but looking at the existing it’s a loooong way down there so not easy to get to.

Edited by slayerofcows, 10 June 2019 - 04:03 PM.

#8 slayerofcows

slayerofcows

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:09 PM

@alpenflitzer Do you mean keep the same colour just to make other people’s lives easier?

#9 Methaneman

Methaneman

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:33 PM

Hi I've got the exact same problem with that reading...did you ever figure it out...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users