7 replies to this topic

#1 E1LDR

E1LDR

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:39 PM

Please see images attached. This is of the door post/ A panel - welding the check strap panel.

I prepped both surfaces front and back and exposed bare metal. Plug welding with good penetration and ground back. As you can see from the images, 70% have filled and ground back nicely, the other 30% have either blown holes or not filled very well. I practised on loads of metal prior to this, most of similar thickness with good results - hence moving onto the panels.

I am using a Clarke 135te with argon mix gas. Settings on 2 and MIN, wire speed 6/7. I did then try 1 and Max, same wire speed. Both times gas flow has been set to 6ish (using the hobby bottles - I know they aren’t the best and run out, will soon convert to larger bottles)

Can anyone advise where I’m going wrong please or any tips on filling the remaining holes.

Again, your help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

#2 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:48 AM

third photo looks like the panels are not touching or you  have a small gap hence the burn out.

try on some scraps first. higher volts setting less wire speed when your welding move the welding wire around the hole clock wise, if you not happy try anti clockwise.

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,897 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:55 AM

Plug welding normally needs high power with increased wire speed.

Same welder as yours, 1/4” holes, high power then wire speed at around 8 or a bit more. As for gas setting without going into figures I usually have a gentle hiss, no howling gale. Do make sure the metal is properly clamped otherwise as mentioned you will blow holes.

You can see my plugs welds on Project Paddy in the signature link below.

#4 gem1

gem1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:49 AM

I have a 155 te turbo clarke the one i use mostly anyway and at wire speed 8 it would blow holes i have power on minimum number 2 and wire speed 4.5

to be honest sonik has the same welder and his welds are good so i would use those as a base and adjust wire to suit yourself

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:09 PM

Just trawling through some threads and here are the settings for the gas all for the 135TE

f6ad77ebf34dcd2fe8bac3c7d2658d94ac7767b9

And for normal welding ie seam or pulse welding here are my settings, so Two and Min

4bb21c66d33d9ecca47375bd97ecbf0f98fdefea

With Plug welding i up the power to Two and Max and the wire speed to approx 9 and that will give you a plug weld like this

f3a95d05726e70847509f21aa27c54bfa974b807

which knocks back to this

fd0824d56acff57bfb1d1e00cec96c3d7a7a37dc

#6 E1LDR

E1LDR

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for the responses. I managed to fill the holes today with settings on 2 and min, wire on 7. This seem to do the trick. I then had a go at seam welding on the car - again, some welds were good and others blew holes in the panels.

- sonikk4, those seem welds look good. What method do you use when holding the torch to achieve this? Angle or directly on top of the weld, left to right or right to left etc.

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for the responses. I managed to fill the holes today with settings on 2 and min, wire on 7. This seem to do the trick. I then had a go at seam welding on the car - again, some welds were good and others blew holes in the panels.

- sonikk4, those seem welds look good. What method do you use when holding the torch to achieve this? Angle or directly on top of the weld, left to right or right to left etc.

With a plug weld i start at the top of the side then bring it down or across. I never use a hole smaller than 3/16th. 

5/32 holes that you get with a hole punch can be hit or miss. Not enough power and you fill the hole but get little to no contact with the metal behind forming a very weak plug weld.

Seam welding, i hold the tip at an angle then draw it back slowly with a small rotational movement. Or you can pulse weld which is effectively a slightly more powerful tack weld and then you can achieve something like this.

d4c6822cec2d2e2bcb982a54b5bb7ae537fc1db6

d4c6822cec2d2e2bcb982a54b5bb7ae537fc1db6

#8 E1LDR

E1LDR

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 03:10 PM

Thanks For the pictures and explanation. I will give this ago next time I’m in the garage!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users