3 replies to this topic

#1 KieranT

KieranT

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 08:16 AM

Hi Guys, new to this forum, so don't know if this has come up before. Fitted new CV joints to my 1979 Mini 1000 a couple of months ago. One side was a piece of cake, the other a real pain, the spline of the CV joint wouldn't slide into the hub until I'd given it a real good going over with emery cloth, ( it was just too tight ), then it seemed to take an awful lot of tightening of the CV castle nut until the thread was through far enough to fit the split pin. Took the Mini for a quick run down the road last week, first time I'd used it since fitting the CV joints, turning into my drive I lost drive to the wheels after the drive shaft had pulled out of the CV joint ( the one that had given me all the trouble ) Stripped it all down & after close examination noticed that the internal splines on the new CV joint were longer than on the old one, hence the driveshaft circlip (  37H8706 )  wasn't opening & preventing the driveshaft from sliding out.
The new CV joint is physically identical externally to the old one. Just wondering what I was supplied with. Anybody got any ideas?
Kieran Turner. NZ.

#2 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:21 AM

Would help to let us know if drums or discs. Lots of rubbish chinese cv joints out there these days.

#3 Alpenflitzer

Alpenflitzer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:59 PM

I bought mine from Huddersfield UK and have no trouble. There ar some for disc and some for old type brakes.

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 08 June 2019 - 02:17 PM

Have you had a chance to measure the new and the old with a vernier ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users