18 replies to this topic

#1 gem1

gem1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:36 AM

Sections for the lower front bulkhead the section from the toe board join to the rear of the bulkhead x member ours is a bit crusty but doesnt warrant changing the full bulkhead panel and the section we need is not available

Edited by gem1, 10 June 2019 - 08:29 AM.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:00 PM

Yes i have, have a look at Project Erm in my signature, also in Project Paddy as well.

I will adjust your title as well to make it a bit clearer as to what you are after

#3 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:17 PM

This is always a problem if you just need to replace a small area. If you can't make a patch of a complex area, then the only option is to buy a full panel and waste half of it.

Have you tried M Machine http://preview.m-machine.co.uk/

they are generally good quality and often make the smaller panels that Heritage do not make.

I personally would not use any magnum panels again, as I have never had one that even resembles a Heritage panel.

#4 gem1

gem1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:36 PM

Thanks both i have a new bulkhead x member inner wings and full scuttle but the toeboard is largely sound so pointless paying that money tien cutting the panel towbits
thanks i did take a look nice work

#5 gem1

gem1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:39 PM

Yes i have, have a look at Project Erm in my signature, also in Project Paddy as well.
I will adjust your title as well to make it a bit clearer as to what you are after

What gauge steel did you use for the toe board and bulkhead repair Sonik

Also when you fit a new bukhead x member and inner wings does the x member weld direct to the inner wing on the ends around the shock mount area
Or do you strengthen/ close the end of the x member with a plate so that its double skinned in that area

Edited by gem1, 10 June 2019 - 10:39 PM.

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:10 PM

What gauge steel did you use for the toe board and bulkhead repair Sonik

Also when you fit a new bukhead x member and inner wings does the x member weld direct to the inner wing on the ends around the shock mount area
Or do you strengthen/ close the end of the x member with a plate so that its double skinned in that area

Off the top of my head I either used 1.2mm or 0.9mm.

The ends of the X member are spot welded to the reinforcing plate which in turn is spot welded to the inner wing. Again this is shown in Erms thread as well. The plate is part of the build up in that area. I carefully removed the one on Project Paddy and fabricated a replacement. That is only 0.9mm thick.

Hope this helps

#7 gem1

gem1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for that it looks like we will have to change both toe board and the lower bulkhead panel but up to the top of the x member it has some complex curves we have new inner wings in place and a new bulkhead x member we thought make flat plates with holes to match the subframe mounting holes on the original toe board bolt in place then with box section weld them to the box section bracing already in the shell before cutting the old 1 out?? At least we have a jig of sorts

Could anyone give the measurement from the bulkhead x member to the lower lip of the windscreen

Edited by gem1, 11 June 2019 - 07:05 PM.

#8 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:08 PM

I repaired my toe board with 1.2mm steel, also a couple of bulkhead repairs in same material, m machine do repair sections for lower bulkhead, not sure which area you have to repair as a picture helps to identify.

#9 gem1

gem1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:37 PM

to be honest its all a bit lacey and being we had new inner wings a posts a pillars and boxing panels we decided it would be better and we bought a full new bulkhead panel wish us luck fitting it
What we have done is fitted the inner wing using the bukhead x member to align the shock mount holes whth the captive nuts and fitted at the a post door hinge holes these are tacked bolted and self tapered into positio
We ar hoping when we remove the bulkhead panel and toe board using the inner wings shock mount holes as our guide and maybe some brackets on the toeboard that are welded to a solid point to aid alignment at the toe board anyone have any suggestions

Edited by gem1, 15 June 2019 - 06:38 PM.

#10 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:08 PM

With toe board you can mount a tube in steering rack location and put some braces to good metal or subframe to hold position, for bulkhead I would use the subframe as it will pick up with holes in floor, toeboard and front panel if still on, but you can make up some braces to hold it in position, this can be dimensionally checked to rear frame to make sure all as it should be. But without seeing the car it’s difficult to advise.

Edited by Daz1968, 15 June 2019 - 07:09 PM.

#11 gem1

gem1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:20 PM

I will get a few pics tomorrow to make it easier

#12 CBJ805T

CBJ805T

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 05:22 PM

you can see the bracing I've got on the toe board here. I've got a steel across the A Posts then two bars going down to plates which pick up the front sub mounts. I'd be interested to see some picks of the job, as I'm tackling the same soon

https://www.amazon.c...hYzP3S9JNXwuDpC

Chris 

#13 gem1

gem1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:49 PM

The link isnt workin for me Chris

#14 gem1

gem1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:19 PM

you can see the bracing I've got on the toe board here. I've got a steel across the A Posts then two bars going down to plates which pick up the front sub mounts. I'd be interested to see some picks of the job, as I'm tackling the same soon

https://www.amazon.c...hYzP3S9JNXwuDpC

Chris

Thats exaatly what we are doing box sectin between A&B pillar and across A posts and B posts 1 down to the trans tunnel halfway between A posts and the same at the B posts
Then two box section welded to the between A post brace with a flat 6 mm thick plate welded at the end that is then bolted through the toe board/e lower subframe mountings with that and the new inner wrings shock mounting holes to line up the bulkhead x member ( wich we were very careful to make sure the hole centre in the inner wing was hole centre to the captive nut ot on the x member of the original so we will make sure the new is the same

Edited by gem1, 17 June 2019 - 11:23 PM.

#15 gem1

gem1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 04:19 PM

Ordered the panel thursday afternoon got it monday free post with bulmotif spares its the 1990 onwards paneldand its a good thick metal panel i would say itr all at least 1.2mm from the bottom to the top

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users