3 replies to this topic

#1 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:55 AM

Just dropped the engine in and had a nightmare with captive nurses on the new engine mounts. Wasted hours and ended up knocking the captive nuts off.

Now we cant get the pot joints to go fully into gear box. They are stuck out about half an inch. Ie you can still see the shiney bit of shaft.

Everything else on the drive shaft and hub is still together except the top swivel.

Think I'm faced with either undoing bottom swivel or probably best course is to take the rubber boot off the pot joint and separate it? Then knock the pot joint in, then regressing and assemble the ball bearings.

Or is there any other 'easy' way to get the pot joint fully engaged without taking anything else apart, sure I've never had this trouble in the past.

#2 KTS

KTS

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:32 AM

have you seen this thread ?

may be worth checking the c clips aren't the problem, and potentially save a load of grief if/when you need to pull the pots out again...

#3 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:07 PM

Ive just managed to get the pot joints on real easy. Just peeled back the rubber and levered them on against the subframe.

Interesting about the new circlips not fitting so well these days, explains the hassle I had getting out CVs on last year. Again dont remember it ever being much of a problem in the past, going straight on with a sharp tap.

I then decided to see if I could loosen the bleed nipples on the brake calipers only for one to twist and break. As it has a servo we will need to bleed the brakes. Time for new calipers, maybe swap to 7.5 discs.

#4 Fastorq

Fastorq

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:17 PM

[quote name="Haynes" post="3602213" timestamp="1560160542"]Just dropped the engine in and had a nightmare with captive nurses on the new engine mounts. Wasted hours and ended up knocking the captive nuts off.

I can imagine captive nurses could be a bit of a nightmare!
Especially when they get loose again and end up knocking nuts off!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares